What is your higher power? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

What is your higher power?

What is your higher power? Is your higher power a god that makes things happen in your life for certain reasons? or is your higher power something that just has a strong influence on your decision making.

My higher power is "Everything that makes me happy"...the love of my many friends and family keep me sober. Through my higher power I make the right choices in life. My higher power doesn't make things happen for any particular reason, but does keep me sober. It is greater than myself but also isn't a god in a religious sense either.

I just wanted to know what you all think...

So what is your higher power?

SoberLife90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Higher Power is myself as only I am the creator of my own destiny and actions.
airwick (10-24-2014), ghostdad (10-27-2014), TiredEnough (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

My higher power is Jesus Christ. He causes all things (both good things and horrible things) to work together for good for those who love him and are called according to his purpose. Sometimes the good is not immediately apparent, but I trust him and his timetable more than I trust my own limited vision. I use his Word, the Bible, to guide me in making decisions about how I should live.
Gilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
Fly N Buy (10-24-2014), songthread (10-24-2014), tomsteve (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

God is my "higher Power" and this "belief" allows me to create my own destiny.

I have the ultimate control of the situation with a powerful "backup" as a guide.

It works for me
airwick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to airwick For This Useful Post:
gippy1968 (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

I have been an athiest for so long that I have no idea. I did read a lot of meditation books and have recently thought of seeking out a higher power to help me cope but so far I'm wary.
NOTHING CHANGES IF NOTHING CHANGES
Fishcakes4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishcakes4 For This Useful Post:
airwick (10-24-2014), BadCompany (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcakes4 View Post
I have been an athiest for so long that I have no idea. I did read a lot of meditation books and have recently thought of seeking out a higher power to help me cope but so far I'm wary.
The great thing is that God is always available, always waiting for you with open arms. Whenever you're ready, He'll be there. . Have and awesome weekend.
Sober since 1/16/2018. All things are possible with God. Luke 18:27
CristinaN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CristinaN For This Useful Post:
airwick (10-24-2014), Gilmer (10-24-2014), tomsteve (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristinaN View Post
The great thing is that God is always available, always waiting for you with open arms. Whenever you're ready, He'll be there. . Have and awesome weekend.
My biggest thing is I was raised Jewish, then Lutheran and when I was a teen I wanted nothing and I really don't know if I'm ready for anything right now.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've been thinking about this a lot.

I read step three of the 12 and 12 book today. And it strikes me that it begins and ends with the words of Christ, although it doesn't mention him directly.

The AA programme is certainly inspired by Christian ideas although it works for all kinds of people who aren't Christians too, which is interesting. I once thought that salvation came in a very specific way. Now I realise it's personal to each one of us.
endlesspatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Trudgin

Simply,

I can't
He can
I try to let him

fly
Fly N Buy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fly N Buy For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Self recovered Self discovered

I am Christian, by birth, choice and practice. My Creator had nothing to do with my alcohol addiction, nor did he play any direct role in my sobriety. He provided tools, and gave me a choice. The rest was up to me.
Gilmer (10-24-2014), gippy1968 (10-24-2014), SoberBike (10-24-2014), songthread (10-24-2014), tnman1967 (10-24-2014), tomsteve (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Music

WILLIAM BLAKE
ghostdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostdad For This Useful Post:
Fishcakes4 (10-24-2014), gippy1968 (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

It is a fluid concept for me. Not easily defined But I tend to see my inner self as a "higher power" though I don't think of it in a hierarchical way. In fact, I have a problem with perceiving most things in a hierarchical way. I think many of these hierarchies in life are human constructs, and most are illusions anyway. Roles are one thing, but higher ups, higher powers, higher ranks... these are constructs that are relative.

My inner self, wiser self, conscience, morality, awareness, consciousness or connected consciousness or quantum consciousness... lol, any of those things I'd probably consider as my "higher power" as AA prescribes.
Soberpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
Nuudawn (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

This concept comes up a lot and I honestly never know how to respond to it, I'm not a big believer in any religion, or anything for that matter.

I used to think that my Sobriety was accredited to maybe there is something out there beyond myself, a being of infinite wisdom that is pulling a few strings to get me to turn my life around, and then that evolved into wanting to be the best I can be, work to my potential, be the human I can strive towards being without the shackles of alcohol.

Now, I don't know, my daily routine doesn't really include thinking about a "higher power", I wake up, I make some coffee, I think about the day ahead, go to work, come home and have a life that I am proud of, no more guilt, or regret, all of those things alcohol created, I have found a contentment in the cards I have been dealt, contentment in myself and who I am, a pride in how far I have come and the changes I have made to get here, and dare I say it I have achieved a certain happiness in all I have created, finally taking ownership of my own life and not bowing to the will of alcohol any longer.

If I keep doing all of those things I have a belief that life only continue to improve, and maybe that's the real definition of my "higher power"!!
PurpleKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKnight For This Useful Post:
Fly N Buy (10-24-2014), Soberpotamus (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcakes4 View Post
My biggest thing is I was raised Jewish, then Lutheran and when I was a teen I wanted nothing and I really don't know if I'm ready for anything right now.

I can see how that would be confusing.
Sober since 1/16/2018. All things are possible with God. Luke 18:27
CristinaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

my higher power is raspberry-ripple ice-cream. no, not really. (although it is good). no, my hp is a source of love and what is good. it is beyond my comprehension, yet if i pray for its direction, its will for me, the strength to carry this out, it just seems to work.
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmartyPants For This Useful Post:
margherita (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyPants View Post
my higher power is raspberry-ripple ice-cream.
Early on, mine was probably strong coffee and Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry's
Soberpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
Inchworm (10-24-2014), PurpleKnight (10-24-2014), tomsteve (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

^^ha ha! I think my first week of being sober, coffee has definitely been my higher power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishcakes4 For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks everyone you are all awesome! Keep it up!
SoberLife90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm not in a 12-step program, but if I decided to go that route, I would probably use a vision I always have about "the bigger picture", be it anything. It can be broken down into various smaller compartments, though. The essence is that for me, a "higher power" is not something esoteric, not something outside of me, not an ideal, a guide... But a system I belong to, a system I am part of. A unified whole that, while it's built from elements, the entirety of it, with all the connections and relationships, is more than the jumble of the individual elements could be. It's all about the connections, cause-effect, action-reaction, interaction, how everything affects everything in a dynamic, ever-changing complex. Like in the physical world, the mind, the sciences, human relationships, and many more. It's not outside of me, just larger than me because I am a component of it, playing my own role. The effectiveness of the "power", to me, really depends mostly on how receptive I am and how willing to play my role in the system.

So in the sub-context of recovery, it could be the program and the community I am using, but I am doing my part in it and not just receiving guidance passively. I could not do it alone, but it would not affect me either without my active participation.

For those that are familiar with the concept (in different fields) of Gestalt - I think that's closest.

For me, pretty much all of mental maladies, dysfunctions, anxieties, etc have always come from a disconnection with the rest of the world, from isolation. So conversely, I definitely get a higher power from belonging and from playing my part.
Aellyce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aellyce For This Useful Post:
margherita (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm not a AAer so a HP is not something that was a part of my recovery really.

Early on tho I definitely drew strength from the group here, when I didn't think I had any strength of my own.

Later I re-discovered my faith and I drew strength from that too.

I'm blessed to have strength from both sources, and from myself now...I believe that although God can move mountains, He'll usually hand me a shovel

D