Notices

Scared, Withdrawing? - First Post

Old 10-24-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared, Withdrawing? - First Post

Hello,

Thank you for all your post's on various topics. I've found your comments and activity a great source of relief. I was wondering if I could ask a few questions, I'm new to withdrawing and a little scared.

I'm 40 years old and I've been drinking heavily for the last twenty. On occasion I would replace 3 months of drinking with ridiculous amounts of exercise and dieting and never felt any withdrawal symptoms.

These last 3 weeks have felt different. I've wanted to stop, but struggled too. I stopped 50 hours ago, it was hard. Yesterday, at the 42hour mark, I had a severe dizzy spell. I thought I was going to pass out. I've never felt this before so rushed to the Hospital with my wife. I had no other symptoms.

They did blood tests, cardio graph, some physical tests to rule out a stroke, blood pressure, glucose levels etc. All came back normal.

They told me, and this is where I need your help, that it would be unusual to present for withdrawal with a dizzy spell as the only symptom. They said that normally I would have a range of symptoms. They sent me home and asked me to see a local Dr about a 24 cardio monitor. And this is where I am now.

50 hours have passed, and I woke up on the 3rd day and I feel like my head is constantly muggy, or woolly headed, like a hang over I can't relieve. I get occasional dizziness, but nothing like the spell on the second day.

Sorry for the long post. I really don't know what to do.

Thank you,
Stephen
Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry this is happening did you go docs and get cardio monitor ?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Stephen

I would follow the recommendation the ER Doctor gave you. There must've been a reason he advised you to do so. What can it hurt...it may set your mind at ease.

I felt quite "foggy" for the first month of sobriety. I also had night sweats, a hard time sleeping, and was very emotional. This all passed the longer I was sober.

I don't recall being dizzy but everyone is different.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, welcome to the forums, and congratulations!

You've been checked out at the hospital. Follow up with your regular doctor. In the meantime, accept the anxiety for what it is - withdrawal from alcohol.

All kinds of foggy brain are going to be evident for a while. Same with feeling ick in general. Expect at least a week of feeling like you have the flu. Anxiety and fatigue and general irritation are common. Drink a lot of water, eat well, sleep as much as possible. It's going to be hard to get a good night's sleep for a while. Treat yourself like you are sick, because you are.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Sorry this is happening did you go docs and get cardio monitor ?
Yes I had an instant, snap shot cardio test and it appeared normal.

They want to do a 24hour monitor to see if there are any long standing rhythmic abnormalities.

Did anyone else experience dizziness as a withdrawal symptom?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Stephen. Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things by staying in touch with your doctor. I was around 42 when I finally got serious about being sober, and for me the withdrawals and symptoms worsened substantially in the last year or so of my drinking. Our bodies can only take so much, and each person usually hits that tipping point but no one can predict when. You will find a wealth of support here, congratulations on your decision to quit.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PoorlyStephen View Post
Yes I had an instant, snap shot cardio test and it appeared normal.

They want to do a 24hour monitor to see if there are any long standing rhythmic abnormalities.

That is usually dehydration or low blood sugar.

Drink at least a couple large glasses of water or juice and see if that helps.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
That is usually dehydration. Also your blood pressure is lower than it was with alcohol in your system, so it makes you light-headed. It is your body seeking its healthy level. Alcohol does a number on the Central Nervous System.

Drink at least a couple large glasses of water or juice and see if that helps.
I think this, probably. I'm only on day 8 this time around but definitely got dizzy and foggy the first four days. I was drinking less water during the day because I wasn't dehydrated from the previous night's drinking. Try drinking something like Gatorade as well, for the electrolytes.

Welcome, Stephen, and that was a good choice to go to the doctor.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Stephen. I would go with drinking a lot of water too, and generally eating really well too.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

In general, health was pretty poor and booze masked a lot of other issues. I was very dizzy - for me It was an low level infection caused by some dental issues. A round of antibiotic cleared it up with some much needed dental work!

You may not have any of this, but the infection caused a middle ear/vertigo feeling that I attributed to withdrawal.......

fly
Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you going to the ER. Sounds like you are getting some good advice, I hope you choose to follow it.

As for the fog brain, I had that on and off for at least 2 months- it was really annoying! However, it did lessen over time and now it seems to be quite rare. I'm still a little dizzy from time to time, but that is my usual reaction to stress, always has been.

It takes awhile for our bodies to adjust after so many years of alcohol consumption. Hang in there, listen to your doctor, come here every single day and don't drink.

Welcome and congrats on your sober time. So nice to have another SR friend!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. I did for the first week. Severe for the first 24 hours, then improved steadily over the week.

Please note that I didn't see a doctor though so I have no expert explanation.

I am interested to know if your doctor said anything to you about it possibly being a panic/anxiety attack?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi PoorlyStephen,

I am on day 10 after a dozen years of excessive alcohol consumption. My first 6 days included dizziness, nausea, 2 panic attacks (never had one before), nightmares from hell, "daytime black outs" (I kept forgetting what I was saying or what I was doing, so very fuzzy brain) and woke up almost everyday feeling as though I did have a hangover. Not to mention excessive night time sweating, shaking hands and legs, daytime sweating and chills at same time. It wasn't nice. How bad it was is motivation enough for me to not drink again because I wouldn't wish to go through those first 6 days ever again in my life.

On day 7 I felt my first uplift. I found myself singing in the morning. I wasn't ready to run a marathon or anything, but I had actually found some sleep and didn't feel completely hopeless ready to face the day. This was actually the first night I didn't sweat my way through either. I'm on day 10 now (double digits, woohoo!!) and I'm in another uplift. My hands aren't shaking and though I have the occasional dizzy bouts throughout the day, my head is much more clear and I have much more strength knowing the worst is over.

I've been treating my body to good multivitamins and omega 3 oils (whether they help or not i'm not sure, but I feel good just knowing I'm taking them) and I have been going through a ton of natural coconut water everday (GREAT for replacing lost electrolytes and combatting dehydration).

However you feel now, every hour you've gone is a success. Don't worry about tonight, or tomorrow, or the weekend, or next week. Focus on getting through today. Embrace the withdrawl as silly as that sounds because it's just a sign that your body is fighting to get back in balance. Keep up with the medical attention as required.

All the support in the world to you.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Changel View Post
Yes. I did for the first week. Severe for the first 24 hours, then improved steadily over the week.

Please note that I didn't see a doctor though so I have no expert explanation.

I am interested to know if your doctor said anything to you about it possibly being a panic/anxiety attack?
Hya, thank you so much for your comments all! The Dr did try to rule out panic attacks. He quizzed me as to whether I felt heart palpitations before or after the dizziness. He suggested if it was before it could have triggered an attack.

For me it was several minutes after the severe dizziness when I even noticed a racing heart. I was definitely panicking at that point. But I have to say when I felt dizzy initially, I was sat down, with my wife watching TV, we were both happy and without a care in the world.

Now, I feel I should be making funeral arrangements. (This bit may qualify as a panic attack:p)
Old 10-24-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hya, thank you so much for your comments all! The Dr did try to rule out panic attacks. He quizzed me as to whether I felt heart palpitations before or after the dizziness. He suggested if it was before it could have triggered an attack.

For me it was several minutes after the severe dizziness when I even noticed a racing heart. I was definitely panicking at that point. But I have to say when I felt dizzy initially, I was sat down, with my wife watching TV, we were both happy and without a care in the world.

Now, I feel I should be making funeral arrangements. (This bit may qualify as a panic attack:p)
Well you did the right thing by going to the doctor, and good on ya for quitting.

I started a thread about panic attacks/dizziness a few weeks ago and some guys posted some good information you may want to read. Might give you some questions to ask your doctor when you next visit.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My wife had dangerously high BP when she went cold turkey for 3-4 days. Mine was a bit high for 2 days then normal. Docs know best. Some need temporary BP meds for detox. Not to be taken lightly given the yrs. you drank. Abrupt cessation can kill us.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Stephen!!