Notices

Cannot win!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

If you imagine yourself in his shoes, and imagine that he may have his own stress, his own fears, his own resentment, the. Imagine that he may also be getting little support for that and little self time.... You might be able to imagine that he is struggling too.

We are all human. We with alcohol and addiction struggles can often forget or overlook that atop all the pain we ourselves have caused them - our loved ones are also human.

Try to find space for empathy. Maybe simply acknowledging how much support he's giving and thanking him for his patience and love would go a long way.

This stuff is hard - and not just for us.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad you guys talked it through. The first couple months or more can be a bit difficult for a couple when one person has gotten sober, as some others said. Part of it has to do with the normal person's expectations, and that they may be expecting less rational communication. Honesty by both parties about what they were feeling when they said or did something can usually cut through and resolve those situations.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

Oh FreeOwl, I know, we've been doing the Love Dare as well and every single day since I decided to be sober, I tell him one thing each day that I love about him, what I think is amazing he's done, what a great provider and father he is, etc. I know he's stressed to the max, especially before me getting sober, he basically had 5 kids, not 4, that included me. It was just the timing that bothered me, we hadn't seen each other all day and I had literally JUST walked in the door from my first outpatient session.