Notices

Day 5 heroin withdrawal cold turkey

Old 10-23-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 heroin withdrawal cold turkey

Hi everyone, I was here this summer when I put 4 months together clean. Then started thinking I could drink a little or take a pill here or there and be ok. Suddenly I'm doing cocaine and after a few times doing that I was back seriously into heroin (my primary DOC) amounts that I can't believe didn't kill me. That was a 6 week stretch and of course the money's gone. My parents and dr finally know what's up and want to help but we looked into detoxes and there just isn't much around for opiate withdrawal. They just want to ship me off to rehab nbr 5. Nope. So I'm home alone in bed all day thinking of nothing but how badly I need another fix.

I'm at day 5 clean , got a few meds to help a little. so finally able to function a bit and thought I'd check in here if I'm still welcome. I think I need support, I have some loving family and friends but none who have gone thru this or really understand. I still have urges to use and even an opportunity tomorrow if I want to. But then I'm back to day one of suffering again. Just needed to reach out and see if anyone has been where I'm at. Feeling scared and lost.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 5 days Amester thats fantastic
Old 10-23-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there, welcome back, I am glad you found your way back. I am an alcoholic so I don't have any knowledge to share about drug withdrawals, but I think our brains work in similar ways. Isn't it incredible how time and time and time again we are shown that NO, we cannot drink, not even sip, NO we cannot just have a pill here and there or a sniff here and there or just one night here and there. We can't have any of that if we want to stay healthy and sober. One sip, one pill, one night almost always leads us right back to where we started.
I have a friend who has withdrawn from heroin several times. I had talked to him once about my problem with alcohol and asked him for tips or help. He said that when he was going through it he used meal times as a point of reference. He would say "I own't use until after lunch" and then he'd get to lunch and say "I won't' use until dinner" and then he'd get to dinner and then "I won't use until it is time for bed. And then he'd just go to bed instead of using and do it all over again the next day. You might be in a place where even smaller increments of time are better "I won't use for the next 5 minutes" etc.
Keep coming on here, seek out face to face support where you can. It is time to take a good, hard look at what you are missing in your recovery after 5 times in rehab. What can you do differently this time? What can you add? YOu can never have too many tools. Hang in there.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back!! 5 Days is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love the postponement method and used it before, unfortunately this is a forced withdrawal. I'm out of resources. I can't use now or tonight or in the morning. All I can do is try to stay as sane as possible till this passes.

There is nothing more that any rehab can do for me after 10 years of being in and out of "recovery". done the treatment venters, about 1000 meetings, church, Suboxone, outpatient. It's useless, it has never helped me. I agree I need support from some sober/clean people and I can seek that out. But I don't need more addiction education, I don't need to go over coping mechanisms, or triggers, or healthy sober activities... I get all that. It doesn't matter. When I choose I want to be clean and healthy and have a life then i do it. I surround myself with good people and healthy ways to spend my time and things I enjoy. I know how to choose being clean. I even have churches I could go to and meet positive people and do a recovery group there.

I just need to get through this part, need to feel human again so I can get back to my life.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're here and working hard on your recovery.

Congratulations on Day 5.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Made it to day 6. Starting to feel like a person again. Just not sure where to go from here. Thank god my parents didn't kick me out for using drugs in their house. But I'm on disability, I don't have a boyfriend, I don't have much of a life. I'm not near much as far as meetings/outpatient services, not that I'm a fan of them anyway. My family goes to church, they have a recovery type non 12 step group there, that might be a good start? When my head clears up a little more then I can spend time on here supporting others like I used to when I was clean and doing ok. Day 6 is just the beginning, still probably a few weeks of not feeling so great. But I'm getting there, just not sure what to really do with myself till then, or after.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to see you amester - welcome back

D