Notices

Stay Sober Here Weekender Thread Oct 24 - 26!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Love it, Verte!!!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Wait for me!

On the sideline this weekend due to an injury, but will go and cheer the guys on tomorrow.

Then I have no idea...housework, yardwork, a hike maybe. Nothing planned.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Ruby, my to do list can also be a 'should have done it a while ago' list. Years of not caring or just drinking kinda made this list grow. Things that were neglected or put off till another day. I now find myself with time and desire. Something I didn't have in previous years. Time because I lost my job due to drinking. Desire because I finally realized what a mess I created over the years and need to right things. I am working on completing projects that should have been done a few years ago. Sure, the regular upkeep of a property is an ongoing process. But when the most important thing is drinking that next beer, things add up over the course of time. I still didn't fix the bathroom fan in the guest bathroom that quit about four years ago. There is tape over the switch all that time. Silly things like that.
For an analogy, let's say you wash your car every week. It's a simple process that doesn't take much time and effort each time. Suppose you don't wash your car for four years and decide to clean it up one day. It's not a simple car wash job anymore.
You have four years of caked on grime and what else. You may need to sandblast it...
So remember boys and girls, spending our time drinking and getting drunk can be time spent keeping our lives in order instead.

But the reason I logged on was to tell everyone - USA folks on east coast anyway - that October 27th at 1845 (6:45 PM) NASA will be launching and Antares Rocket from Wallops. It is located on the eastern shore of Virginia, the Delaware side of Chesapeake Bay. I would forget to post this later. If it is a clear nite - last nite it was dark here at 6:45 - you will be able to see it from South Carolina up through new england. Sorry weasel you are too far north. Make it something to do Monday night. Take the kids and binoculars and find a high vantage point to see if you can track it.
You have about a three minute window to watch it.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Would I Lie To You?

Welp, how long have you Guyz got? Da Wife's Passat...

First, we detect a VERY small leak from the Power Steering Hose. Away she drives 2 weeks ago with 2 Liters of VW-approved, Mineral Oil-based Power Steering Fluid as spares. She gets up on a Mountain Pass w/no Cell Reception, and the Power Steering fails. Full Stop. She roars back into Town, and we ditch the Passat at a new Homeboy Mechanic's Shop who does good work on the Volvo owned by her Pilate's Instructor.

After some delay, the Power Steering Hose arrives and gets installed. Away we go. NOW, the Car leaks again. Turns out the Fluid is traveling along a Chassis 'Beam', and dripped in a deceiving spot. A Seal on the Rack & Pinion Steering Assembly has blown because the new Power Steering Hose now puts full-on pressure to it.

A new Rack & Pinion Assembly is ordered. It arrives. Not on the Truck it was supposed to be on, but a later Truck. That blows that Repair day. A Boar gets out of the Mechanic's Gated Pen. After rounding it back up, the Boar turns and rips open his Hand with a Tusk. A Germ-free Appendage right there, eh? He goes to the local ER. He has to instead go down to his new Clinic in the local Big City to get referred back to the ER. I get some Political Snark on Obamacare that I could not give 2 Rat's ***** about. SO, he calls in a Pal to put in the Steering Assy after this Helper's Shift at the Coal Mine ends at 8 PM. Next day? The bad Assembly has been put back on. We're all going 'WTF', and can't find out anything until the Coal Mine Shift ends. The new one ordered is 3" too short.

I recall that VW stopped the 2001 Production Line and completely re-Tooled the Passat, and improved the looks to improve Sales. So, Da Wife actually drives what is called a 2001.5. The Denver Parts Warehouse Guy has been read the Car VIN, but insists the correct, 'later Body year', Assembly was sent. Ummmm, no, not really.

Meanwhile, the Car has a new flat Tire. He takes it off and runs it up to a Homie's Tire/Alignment Shop. They purport to fix it, and put on a new Valve Stem. It leaks down again. I take the MoFo Tire to 'Big O' to pull and patch a small Nail hole. The Tire is now fine.

Meanwhile, he tells us to leave our Phone Numbers at the beginning of any Message because his Answering Machine is acting up. He doesn't return calls, despite me getting in his Face and insisting as much. That's apparently not his Gig. So, every new 'discovery' about this entire Fuster Cluck is after a 25 minute drive to Town.

Ah, in removing the old Steering Assembly, he loosens 2 'special' self-tightening Bolts in the Firewall, and snaps them off. He has to drill and tap and remove the Bolt Stub with special Tools. New Bolts ship in from another Town. Turns out he did not need to touch or remove them!

Most every time we drive down, the Car is on the Street with the Doors unlocked. Da Wife goes ballistic each time.

So, after the ~$300- more-expensive, correct Steering Assembly shows up mid-day yesterday, it gets installed. We settle the Bill, and drive away at Dusk. Da Wife hears a 'rushing' sound. The front 'Deflector' underneath has dropped away after she hits some RR Tracks. She freaks out. We abandon the Car and go back to the Shop. Mechanic's gone. Doesn't give out his Cell number. He said reception is poor, and 'he only uses it play Games online anyway'. He comes back after we leave; just as I'm ready to use Home Depot 'Tiger Twine' to string the Deflector back up to limp Home.

He actually calls us back. Da Wife's Cell is almost dead. Battery is tapped out from all the calling. I describe the issue. He comes with a Wrench and puts back on a Washer that the Front End Alignment Shop forgot to re-install; causing the Deflector to drop. She drives off.

She pulls over frantic, and flags down me and the Mechanic doing a U Turn. Now, there's smoke coming out from under the Car. He and I analyze it Road-side by Flashlight. A light Metal 'Shield' was bent into the front Brake Rotor by the falling Under-body Deflector. We can see the scuff mark that caused the burning Paint/Smoke/Smell. He used to do Brakes. We bend it back out and make it Home after dark.

We had Lunch to burn time yesterday at 'Gateway' Colorado; Home to a fabulous Car Collection owned by the Founder of 'The Discovery Channel'. Fab Geology, as shown below.

The mostly-emptied Vodka Bottle in the Fridge remains unharmed by all this [by me, anyway]. She's driving back to the City House for a Hair Appointment, and for a Bender or two with Gal Palz. I'm going Camping for 3 days in gorgeous, end-of-Season Weather, with the Pooch. No hints of serious Relapse urges yesterday; the operative word being 'serious'.

This Song popped into my Head that can be ascribed to that 'Siren' Alcohol. Weekend Sober 'Sailors' be mindful, eh?

'Would I lie to you
Would I lie to you, Honey?
Now, would I say something that wasn't true?
I'm asking you, Sugar, would I lie to you?'

Music Video Link

'Would I Lie to You?' ~ Eurythmics

-----

Gateway Canyons Resort & Car Museum

------

Old 10-24-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I saw the title and thought of Annie Lennox right away MM, one of my favorite singers.

You gotta stay positive for your car issue MM.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Heh heh. Car problems. Excellent. I have a 99 Subie. I am very friendly with the Subie mechanics. Yes. Still better than $25K for a new car. I'm hoping I never have to buy another car.

I am an optimist by nature.

Love that song, "Would I lie to you" - well played in regards to Vodka.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

My car probs are self caused. I drive a really nice cadillac too and the last night I drank, I screwed my truck up. DH will not fix it either for awhile, leaving it as a reminder of my stupidity. I can live with that because I"m lucky and so are others that the minor mostly cosmetic things that happened to my truck are the only things that happened that night.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hello all. Jumping in for a sober weekend.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Welcome, Phoebe! Welcome to you, too, Fishcake!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Happy Friday all! Weekend plans are as follows: Kids birthday party, pumpkin decorating, hanging with friends, and finishing my book :-) The weather in the sunshine state is fabulous! I'll definitely enjoy it.

Let's have a happy and sober weekend!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Howdy weekenders. I'm a little late getting on the bus. Yesterday my dogs got skunked and it really did take the entire day to fix the problem. Imagine doing that drunk. LOL! Oh.my.word. . . yesterday sucked big time, but I found myself so grateful in the midst of it all. Isn't it weird and wonderful how a sober, grateful brain can find peace, love and joy in the midst of a skunk incident??? Well, I'm here to tell you it is true.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Brain, amen on what you said about the house repair thing. Same with me. I also love Annie Lennox.

MM, the saga of the Deutsch dud. I am all for driving cars forever but sometimes you just have to say goodbye. Is it an option? I will keep good car mojo in my thoughts.

I'm excited do many people are here. Altoids I hope your dogs are odor free. I am twiddling my thumbs at the moment. Will talk to you later.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
Howdy weekenders. I'm a little late getting on the bus. Yesterday my dogs got skunked and it really did take the entire day to fix the problem. Imagine doing that drunk. LOL! Oh.my.word. . . yesterday sucked big time, but I found myself so grateful in the midst of it all. Isn't it weird and wonderful how a sober, grateful brain can find peace, love and joy in the midst of a skunk incident??? Well, I'm here to tell you it is true.
This post made me smile That's awesome to be grateful through all that. I live in a upper and lower apartment of one house. That is how they do things in the Midwest. Anyway my neighbors dog got skunked and OMG the smell made it's way up to my place...my eyes were watering, my clothes were stinky, the coat I wore the next day to work and hung in the coat room stunk the whole place up. I feel for you hun! I can see you smiling through it all...grateful for life and sobriety <3

Wow, a lot of action on the weekend thread! And is it even realllllyyy the weekend yet? Yes! Friday! WOO HOO! A sober Friday.

Just wanted to say good morning and wish everyone a healthy, sober, happy Friday I will be checking in on and off <3
Old 10-24-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I got the skunk smell under control. It took a while. Baking soda, white vinegar and Dawn dishwashing liquid works really well. The Dawn cuts the skunk oil really fast. We live in the woods so skunks are gonna be a problem now and then. I went for a walk on our property trying to find where the encounter occurred so I could keep the dogs from rolling in it, but to no avail.

But, yes, gratitude is an amazing thing. I found myself grateful for the woods where we live even though there are occasional skunks. I found myself grateful for happy healthy curious dogs. I was grateful for having the time to deal with it without consequences. Yes, gratitude can change a really uncomfortable situation into something of joy.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Well said, Altoids!
Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I really really really really want to punch my boss in the head.

[/rant]
Old 10-24-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I live in the suburbs where there are trash bags out for collection: hence, skunks! I'm amazed that you got it handled so fast, Altoids. I've heard the stench can linger for weeks!

I just got a new component added to my weekend: date night Saturday night (out to dinner) to butter me up--then a trip to Costco, the ninth circle of hell! Saturday is the busiest day of the week! I'm afraid I'll get mowed down while walking from my car to the store! And then trampled inside!

Are any of you acquainted with Costco? I hear it's a worldwide chain.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Sorry, Nons--we cross-posted.

That guy is obviously an (the censor won't even let me type the asterisks)!

Sorry you have to even engage him!
Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Oh my, Non. Sorry that's going on. Want me to send the skunks your way??? One little squirt and bossy-poo will be distracted for a long time.

Gilmer - I go to Costco off and on. Weekends are the worst although the samples during the busy time are AWESOME! I love the samples. We call Costco the $200 store because it is hard to get out of there with just the items you went to get. LOL! They have stuff you never knew you needed.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Oh, and Gilmer, this ain't my first skunk rodeo. We are ready for them now. The first time it happened we weren't prepared and, yes, the stench lasted a long time. We isolate the dogs immediately so they cannot spread the skunk oil onto other surfaces and that goes a long way to handling it. Then baking soda and white vinegar get the smell under control really really well. Lots and lots of baking soda and white vinegar. I went thru an entire gallon of it yesterday. Dawn dishwashing liquid cuts thru the skunk oil.

Fortunately I have a GREAT sense of smell, so I can tell before the dogs even get near the house that we have a problem long before hubby can tell. You'd think the dogs would learn by now that those funny looking cats are not their friends. LOL! Fortunately the spray missed their eyes because it can cause blindness. So we act immediately.