Notices

Stay Sober Here Weekender Thread Oct 24 - 26!

Old 10-25-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
Um, NON. . . yep, no words. Well, just remember all those papers used to be trees. So think of them as a forest.
OK, now that's funny.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Ohhh...I read the book as well and am dying to see Gone Girl. Had my chance last night but was stuck in my pity party so stayed in. Anyhoooooo feeing much better. Off to watch my son's hockey game and dinner party here tonight. I have decided not to say anything about my not drinking, and just having my non booze drinks. Doubt they will even notice !
Old 10-25-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

I'm carving pumpkins and baking pumpkin cake If it is successful, I will bake one for Grandma tomorrow
Old 10-25-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Well, not scenic but it is gorgeous out today. A little bit of sun for BigS, a kia soul for Mec.

MM it was "dud" not "dude" but dude sounds better.

Forabetterlife, good job! Phoebe, it will get there. My husband is an alcoholic and I managed to plow through the first month sober despite him going off the deep end. Paying attention to HALT is invaluable.

Venting out of frustration. I ordered that other cabinet last weekend. I am pretty sure I said 15x80x24. It came, I didn't measure because I mistakenly assumed and put it together and it is the 15x88x24. Waaaayyyy tall. Now I don't know what to do. Taller than the other cabinet. It's assembled. I can't find my paperwork to see whether I paid for the 88 or the 80. Sigh. Husband not home from work so I can't ask his opinion. I can probably make it work. I certainly could fill the space. Just not what I expected and now I have to make decisions. Cripes!

Weasel, very very cool photo of ship coming in.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Did that picture show up? All I'm seeing is a question mark.

I'm feeling at loose ends. The other cabinets is really tall. Sigh. The electric guy isn't coming. My husband is having a fit about that. I'm resigned. I had no plans for today because the cabinet and electrician were coming. Cabinet is here. So, with no tv because of the continued ban in the house it's just frustrating. I can't cook. Cleaning is a nightmare because everything is all over the place because of the kitchen.

Gonna figure out what to do.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Great to see some new faces, plenty of support to found her on the Sober bus as always!!

Not been up to much today, a nice lie in this morning, plenty of housework ticked off the to do list and then caught some of the Premiership football games that were on earlier, now settling in with a pot of green tea for the evening.

Oh and in the mail my ticket for the NFL International Series at Wembley next month finally arrived, to all you americans that probably doesn't sound like much, but for a European and only having a few games over here a season, it'll be one of the highlights of the year!!

Anyways hope everyone has a great Saturday, if you're struggling then post and use the support that's here!!

We're leaving no one behind this Weekend!!
Old 10-25-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
I GOTTA see this movie!!! Maybe this weekend!
Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
I read the book, then saw the movie. Really enjoyed it!
I really liked it but was bummed the book and movie endings were different :/
Old 10-25-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

The sun came out! If only for a brief moment, it was nice to enjoy an iced coffee up on the terrace. Clouds are back now, but that 30 minutes upstairs really improved my mood. I went to el mercado this morning and picked up loads of fruit which should help! Also had a late "brunch" with eggs, Argentine sausage, salsa and avocado. Join me virtually for an iced coffee on the rooftop terraza!

It's a simple setup, but it makes me happy. That's all that matters I think.

For those fighting in these early days and weeks, it's worth it. I am 100% certain I would have been able to create a happy, peaceful environment for myself if I had continually slipped and then gone back to the bottle. Sobriety helped me get here. If you stay sober, you can find your happy place too!

Which brings me to the question....where's your happy place?

Old 10-25-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

You have a lovely happy place! I am envious!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

You do have a lovely place. What a great view.

Getting late and I'm probably going to the park with the kids. Get them and me out of the house. It's disheartening that nothing seems to be coming together. Usually I'd go hang out at my parents house at times like these but my dad is like me. He is antsy and didn't want to stay home so my parents went out for dinner and aren't there. My mom suggested that I could sit in there living room while they're gone but that defeats the point.

Ah, time to get rolling.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

well, I worked all afternoon, good news and bad news, good news is the LV lighting was fixed and all the lites now work, bad news - Ruby didn't I tell you not to dig there! Well somebody did. After finally deciding I had to pull up wire and replace it, I found one of the lines cut on one lead. Fortunately I had spare wire in the garage. Then I found another cut. I made two splices and got all of the lites working and the wire reburied and cleaned up that side of the house.
Now to decorate for hollerween.

BigS - It's too late to edit your remarks but I think you mean if you were still drinking you would not be able to accomplish...

Somebody please tell my wife that when I give instructions on where not to dig that I mean it.

Sounds like you all are having a good Saturday. I guess I should find me something for lunch. I worked straight through without a break. I guess it will be linner. Lunch/dinner.

Glad you made it through the morning FABL. Always come here first if you think about drinking.

well, in the spirit of Halloween... I actually saw this performed at the Spectrum in 1978 (not this video but the full stage theatrics) one of best concerts ever.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I used to see basketball and hockey games at the Spectrum!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

ps: I rented a kia soul a couple years ago, thought my lawnmower had more power.
Driving around the los angeles freeways in that thing was scary...
Old 10-25-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Yes, LBrain - I also saw my error there after it was too late. Correct: if I was drinking I wouldn't have such a nice place to enjoy a peaceful afternoon.

When I was drinking, my small apartment in the city was in shambles. It was always a complete mess - I never washed my clothes or put them away. My bedroom closet was overflowing with clothes just laying on the floor. I remember sometimes I'd wake up at night and cough and hack up and then just spit on the wall next to the bed. It would get crusty and I never washed it off. The pillow cases had blood and drool stains because I would pass out with my tongue hanging out in a mess. I used to pee out the bedroom window at night too, for some reason, even though the bathroom was just a few more feet down the hall. Jesus! Needless to say, that was not a "happy place". More like a disgusting troll-hovel.

For as much as I don't like to recall that scene, I think sometimes it helps. It was less than 2.5 years ago and I was in big, big trouble. For as good as things look now, I'm not far removed from that scene and I am not cured. Vigilance, patience, support, and confidence will continue to help me move forward.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Omg, BSB, your rooftop is a piece of heaven! I actually pulled fiancé over to the computer to show him. Yay! son's team won, 5-0. Great game, these kiddos needed a win. Ok, have to go purty myself up for friends who are coming in 3 minutes...yikes. Have a great and SOBER night all see you in the am for breakfast stories!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hmmm... just back from getting some chocolate frozen yogurt. Ready to eat and then I read BisS's post.

BigS... that's not the person we know from your shares here. I was a mess back in the high times. but we are both here and better. better for it I dont know but better for sure.

Thanks for being here every weekend with the sober bus team!

Now... back to the frozen yogurt and some netflix!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
now's the time

OK, just need to let everyone know that I am killing it at Halloween this year. Halloween is a weeks long series of events in SF and this time I'm sober so I actually feel like getting into it beyond just the drinking-at-parties stuff.

Last night I was a Fate... greek toga outfit and wandered around parties handing out little absurd fortunes that I'd written on little scrolls of paper. Then I made people write new fates that I handed out to other people. It was a great way to mingle! We went to three different parties and I had a great time not drinking. Wasn't even tempted, especially by the end of the night when I just got to watch the chaos (and giving drunk people fortunes is hilarious, FYI. They react almost as if it's a real fortune). Anyway as a result, I had good conversations that I actually *remember* and met new people that I will actually *recognize* when I see them again!

For tonight's party I made a really great Gumby costume. And I'm carving a pumpkin with the SF Giants logo. Which means in about 6 hours a couple dozen lucky people will get to see Gumby riding the bus carrying a giant SF Giants jack-o-lantern. I consider it my gift for the day to civic life.

Also being productive a bit, skills test for a job I interviewed with last week. Really happy with how it went and trying to put forward a really good example of my work.

The times when it's tough are so worth it for times like this. It's been a really long time since I've felt so happy just existing.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

Beautiful view Sombrero!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

That sounds like so much fun, Fantail! What a blast!
Old 10-25-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Cat Lady Extraordinaire

DH secretly got a sitter for tomorrow, we're going to our first movie together in 7 years and dinner tomorrow night! Excited!!