Notices

Advice for pain and painkillers?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for pain and painkillers?

Hey everybody,

I’m really in need of advice. At the beginning of our relationship, my husband abused painkillers. He got sober for about seven years, but about a month and a half ago, he broke a tooth and ended up relapsing. I only knew he started abusing them again when he overdosed on a Lortab and Oxycod medley earlier this month. Since then, he’s been very proactive about quitting and has been very honest to me about his use. Currently, we have all the pills in a lockbox that only I and our roommate know the code for.

On Monday he’s going to the doctor for a consult on removing his wisdom teeth and his broken tooth. I’m worried about the use of painkillers when he does get these teeth removed. He’s worried about the pain from the extractions and since he doesn’t trust himself to not abuse painkillers if they’re readily available, he’s asking me to help him out during this.

I’m not sure what measures I can take to help him be comfortable after the extractions while also avoid this being a trigger for another relapse, especially so soon after his last one and under similar circumstances. I’m at a complete loss here and I’m having lot of anxiety over this. I don’t even know where to begin to plan for this. Has anyone gone through anything similar? Any advice?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It seems to me you have covered all the bases, locked meds, open about fear of relapse. I can't see what else you can do. I think we can be over or under responsible or just responsible for ourselves and if you think maybe you are worrying too much it's on you to give back the responsibility and come back into your centre. Caring, yes but unable to control anything outside of you. I hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome BambooRat

I recommend your husband be meticulously honest with his doctor about his trouble in the past with painkillers...there may be a non narcotic solution.

For what it's worth, I've had all manner of dental problems and I usually rely on over the counter Advil/Tylenol with no problems.

I understand the anxiety but I think this is something your husband needs to do the heavy lifting on, not you - especially if it's causing you anxiety?

D
Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum BambooRat!!
Old 10-23-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here.

When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I got only a very small amount of pain killers and so did my husband when he had his done. I think we each got enough for a week and no more, no refills. Hopefully that will be your husband's experience too.