Notices

18 Days, no appetite

Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

18 Days, no appetite

Hi all, I have been sober for 18 days now. Before that I was drinking about a case of beer a day for the last 11 months. Concerned I had really messed my liver up I had labs done the other day, full metabolic panel and all that stuff. Luckily my labs came back normal. That was a big sigh of relief.

The withdrawal has not been too bad aside from a huge amount of anxiety and daily headaches. Hopefully that anxiety will subside now that my labs came back fine because that was a huge concern. However, I just don't feel hungry. Sometimes I can feel a little hunger in my stomach but the thought of eating just does't appeal to me. I have to force myself to eat.

I'm glad to be sober for 18 days but really wish I would feel like eating again. I wonder how long this will last.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good on the lab results!
I went through the same thing with the appetite. Until I started an exercise program.
Three weeks sober, and I'm eating normally again. Not to mention food tastes so much better when sober.
Good luck!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

It will happen in early sobriety i was full after a half can of soup and that was after eating nothing after 6 days

i am 15 months sober now and my meals are a lot bigger than a half can of soup

Congrats on 18 days thats fantastic your appetite should improve anyday now
Old 10-21-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on your 18 days!

I'm on day five right now, so still a bit shaky and nauseated but it's getting better. I was so used to filling myself up with alcohol I'm not sure my stomach can handle a lot of food right now. I'm forcing myself to eat too. I just tell myself it will take a while yet for my body to return to normal functioning.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm going to try to exercise more to see if that helps. I was dumb and detoxed without medical supervision or any kind of medication so I imagine that might have something to do with it. I'd detoxed before and never experienced appetite issues. If anything I was eating more and craved sweets. I'm glad to have 18 days behind me though. Other than the headaches and the appetite I feel better than I have in a long time.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me things adjusted in time, eating, sleeping, energy levels, give it time, you'll get there!!
Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The weird thing is I had no cravings to drink since I quit because I was terrified and convinced I had gone too far and developed cirrhosis. I worry a lot as it is and had been in a constant state of panic. Now that my labs came back good I'm having cravings again. I just have to keep reminding myself how terrified I have been over the last few weeks and how miserable that feeling made me. That helps me keep the desire for a beer at bay.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

And possibly write up a recovery plan ?

You could start documenting a journal of your sobriety ?

you always have us
Old 10-21-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

And, don't hesitate to talk to your dr if you're concerned.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smoothies!!

Drink your nutrients - in a yummy, healthy way! I mix whatever fruit I have with almond milk, chocolate protein powder, a spoon of coconut oil or peanut butter, and sometimes add handfuls of spinach (it basically disappears into the shake, but offers nutrition. it turns green, but still tastes like a chocolate banana smoothie).

Easy to consume, sweet, easily absorbed nutrients because it is liquefied.

Just live on this stuff until your appetite returns. I agree with the adding in moderate exercise, too - works toxins out of your system, offers great meditation, and the fresh air makes you feel alive and hungry.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That happened to me as well. But I found that if I ate smaller meals and like 4-5 a day, then I could get the necessary calories in me. Now my appetite is back to normal.

Those headaches lasted a good week for me and then they gradually went away. I still get some from time to time but now they arent so bad.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks again all for your feedback. I forgot to mention I'm new here. I'm glad to become a part of the community.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR JustTrogdor

D