Notices

Anyone taking Alcoquit, what was your experience

Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone taking Alcoquit, what was your experience

I was recently prescribed Alcoquit to help me quit. After reading up on the medication and side effects, I'm terrified to even take it! I'm desperate to quit, but I do not have the will power to do it on my own. Wondering if anyone else taking it can share their story with me. Did it help? What were the side effects you experienced? How long did you take? Etc. I had an amazing job offer and know I won't be able to handle the job while I'm drinking the way I do. I will be starting it after the new year, so I have a few months to get on the right track. Any advice or tips are very appreciated! Thanks!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I've never heard of Alcoquit. Did you ask the dr who prescribed it about the side effects that concern you? And, we're not allowed to give any kind of medical advice on these boards.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's generic Antabuse.

Sorry, no help here, I've never taken it.
I do think that trying non-pharmaceutical approaches first would be better though.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Heather - It has been a great "tool" for me while I work on my "coping skills", which I am doing with prayer, meditation, working in a book called "The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook", using SR for support & also have a couple of people with sobriety that I can talk to. Just remember that although it makes it so you "cant" drink, it doesn't take away the desire to drink. As discussed with my Doctor, I do not take it everyday, but every few days & I have had zero side effects. PM me anytime & be good to yourself
Old 10-21-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Heather, welcome to the forum.
I am currently on day 23 of using antabuse. I too was really terrified to start it but at the same time felt such relief that I had something to absolutely stop me from drinking.
You didn't say much about what other measures you have in place to support your recovery. I will say that from all I have read, and what I believe myself, this medication cannot be used successfully by just anyone. It works for people who have an absolute rock solid desire to quit drinking but for whatever reason cannot seem to stay away from relapse. So for someone who is wishy washy and still not really sure that they want to quit, it probably won't work.
You can do a quick google and find story after story of people who drank while taking antabuse- with horrible results, but they still drank. It will not prevent you from picking up, it just makes it a very very bad idea.
I am using it as a temporary solution to buy me some time while I put into place a more solid recovery plan. It does not take away my cravings but it has prevented me from taking a sip. I am currently using this forum, am reading various books on alcoholism and am seeing a psychologist. I am also making some lifestyle changes and working on fully accepting that I can NEVER drink again. This is hard, I can't say I am there yet. So even though I know I am an alcoholic and should not ever drink again, accepting it fully is something that is taking me time.
As for side effects, there are some possible ones. It appears as though most people do not suffer any side effects. I am generally sensitive to medication. I did notice extreme fatigue and weakness. I have since come to realize that a lot of that could be due to withdrawal from the alcohol which can be heavy. I cannot say for certain if I am tired due to the medication or the withdrawals but I do believe that a part of it was due to the medication. Now, at day 23- actually, as of yesterday, at day 22, I started to feel better. Not 100% but a lot, lot better. I do take my dose at night and I can tell you I sleep like a ROCK. Waking up in the morning is not easy. I have started setting my alarm for a half an hour earlier to give me extra time to get up. I sam also doing some light stretching and mild exercises in the morning to get my blood moving, it seems to help.
The only other side effect I have noticed is some skin issues. It definitely is not full on acne, but some bumps on my face and chest.
If you use the search function on this site and search for "antabuse" you can find old threads of mine and others that talk further about the medication.
Maybe you can tell I am quite long winded (who me???)! That said, in my old threads I have written in great detail about my thoughts and experiences with the medication. I did the same search a few weeks back and found a number of old threads by other members that were of great help to me.
To conclude, the medication is not a magic bullet. You need to get a good collection of back up tools to help you fight this. I don't need to tell you that this disease is ferocious, one little pill will not stop it, we need to use everything we can find to work our way out.
Best of luck to you.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck guys & gals
Old 10-21-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HB, I took Antabuse daily for ~ 9 months in early sobriety. It worked for me. It seemed to make me drowsy.

My doctor explained the benefits, detriments and risks to me. I don't understand why yours did not do so.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RumHound View Post
HB, I took Antabuse daily for ~ 9 months in early sobriety. It worked for me. It seemed to make me drowsy.

My doctor explained the benefits, detriments and risks to me. I don't understand why yours did not do so.

Good luck.
A little over a year ago I asked my p-doc about it and he said no, because it could be very risky. But at that point he didn't know me that well, and doctors (here in the US anyway) are extremely worried about lawsuits. Medical options for helping curb alcoholic cravings seem to be less well-received here than in some other parts of the world.

Also as Meraviglioso says, and this makes so much sense: it is not a magic pill. It is a tool, and won't work without commitment and sincere desire and effort.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thank You Sober Wolf