Notices

Introducing myself

Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing myself

Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster and all of that. Am 35 years old and have finally decided that my drinking has to stop. Have been a deteriorating alcoholic for the past 15 years and I have to quit now before I lose everything. I have tried numerous times in the past several years to stop, but with no success. I find coming to SR and reading the Newcomers Forum to be very motivational; not even only the success stories, but the stories of despair, because I know what it's like to be in the depths of alcoholism.

I am basically sick of feeling depressed, anxious, and panicky. I have a great life, with a good career, two amazing kids and a loving fiance. I have done countless stupid things in the past as a result of drinking alcohol, too many to really get into, but it seems like many of you have done the same things.

Anyway, I think I will try to post a little bit to these forums. Just wanted to say hi and wish everybody a great day.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hi TD. Welcome to the life boat. Grab an oar.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Tyler just read and post it really helps
Old 10-21-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hello!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tyler! Welcome

Bunnez
Old 10-21-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All I have is Now

welcome. I find SR really motivational and inspiring too. I just need to get more involved. Lol,
Old 10-21-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Welcome Tyler, I gave up because I was guilty and sick of myself, and it's been the best thing I ever did, even if it was hard to start with.

My self-esteem is much better now I don't have to worry all the time.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Tyler!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I find SR very helpful. It's a great tool with great people!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-21-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Tyler!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Tyler!!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks guys
Old 10-21-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. I can't count the number of times I quit. I knew I had to but I didn't know how. I sincerely hope you have a different strategy this time around and it sticks. You have family that loves you and cares about you. My ultimate motivation to quit was a near death experience and I highly recommended you quit before you get to that point.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm new here but hope we will both be posting our success stories someday.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trying1978 View Post
Welcome. I'm new here but hope we will both be posting our success stories someday.
I am new here too. I am on 23 days and have received some great advice. some I take some I leave some I pass on to others. I can tell you, even in the short run it does get better. each passing week gets easier to get through and the memory and desire goes further away. It is not without work and determination and relying on the couple of friends and family I let in on my alcoholism and also a lot of time here at SR. You can do it too, just don't drink the poison.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barnumb View Post
I am new here too. I am on 23 days and have received some great advice. some I take some I leave some I pass on to others. I can tell you, even in the short run it does get better. each passing week gets easier to get through and the memory and desire goes further away. It is not without work and determination and relying on the couple of friends and family I let in on my alcoholism and also a lot of time here at SR. You can do it too, just don't drink the poison.
Thanks man. Yeah, I've tried to quit so many times before that I have totally lost count. I'll say this, as I've seen countless people post in these forums before me, that I've tried AA but it wasn't for me. I have read about it and I feel that I'm at least knowledgeable on a basic front. I find reading sobriety books helps, but then when I finish them I lost my motivation and get back on the booze. I think I will use SR as my main tool and maybe post some, like some others suggested. Seems like a really close-knit community which I probably need.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi TD!
Perhaps it is a place where you need to be.
For sure this place is better than one you wanted to be not far ago.
Even when I am not here I know that this place exists and people are meeting here every minute. This thought itself gives me strength.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome TD. I am close in age to you and struggled a long time with the booze. I didn't get help soon enough and I lost pretty much everything. I went to rehab at 34 and have been in recovery for 3 years. Wise choice in reaching out for help now while you still have a career and relationship to save.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TylerDurden99 View Post
Thanks man. Yeah, I've tried to quit so many times before that I have totally lost count. I'll say this, as I've seen countless people post in these forums before me, that I've tried AA but it wasn't for me. I have read about it and I feel that I'm at least knowledgeable on a basic front. I find reading sobriety books helps, but then when I finish them I lost my motivation and get back on the booze. I think I will use SR as my main tool and maybe post some, like some others suggested. Seems like a really close-knit community which I probably need.
You and me and most people here, I bet!
I've found AA useful in the past for the cameraderie and a good thing to do in the evenings, especially early in sobriety. SR is a wonderful resource as well. I have learned a LOT by reading here.

There are many secular options as well (check the main forum page for the secular recovery sub-forum) and I've found tools such as AVRT and many of the SMART Recovery strategies and worksheets really helpful. Books too of course.

I guess my point is, there's lots of useful tools out there and you don't have to commit lock, stock and barrel to any one philosophy.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TylerDurden99 View Post
I am basically sick of feeling depressed, anxious, and panicky. I have a great life, with a good career, two amazing kids and a loving fiance. I have done countless stupid things in the past as a result of drinking alcohol, too many to really get into, but it seems like many of you have done the same things.
That sounds like exactly like something I would have written 4 weeks ago. I have a new life now.

Anxiety and panic attacks led me to quitting alcohol. SR gives me the strength and inspiration to cope when I am feeling week.

Welcome to SR!