Notices

DAMMIT! What is wrong with me?!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When I got sober, we had lots of beer lying around. I asked my husband to pack it all up and put it in a spare bedroom--then install a combination lock on the door that everybody knew how to unlock but me! He happily did it. Then when we had beer drinking guests, I could just seclude myself and they were free to enjoy.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, if you're going to Trader Joe's for fun juice you could go to the liquor store for more booze.

Hiding the booze, eradicating the booze, denying the existence of booze is not going to stop you from drinking. I'm sitting here with at least 20 bars and even more alcohol outlets in easy walking distance. I can be bellying up to a bar in ten minutes or back with a twelve pack in about the same time.

You either drink or you don't.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have a dry house for one reason! I DO NOT TRUST ME
Old 10-21-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I suggest reading the last paragraph on page 43 of the BB
Old 10-21-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=trachemys;4968041]Well, if you're going to Trader Joe's for fun juice you could go to the liquor store for more booze.

Huh? I don't think those are really equivalent. I know there is alcohol "out there," but in my first few weeks of sobriety, probably not best to have it where I can get to it with absolutely no effort. Also, someone mentioned they found they are "thirsty" at 4:00, (for me, I'm in a 4:00 habit) so I'm trying to quench that thirst. . . . and water isn't doing it. Hoping bubbly cranberry (alcohol free!) juice will . .. .
Old 10-21-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Some people can have it around others can't. Do what YOU need to be comfortable and stable in YOUR sobriety.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

No but, the actions are equivalent. Going to the store is going to the store. The difference is in stores. You can't be sober by getting booze out of the house.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Nope, would not have gone to a bar or to get some. Kids at home, no way to drive them to a bar or liquor store, and too young to leave them home alone! So for me, right now, its what's in the house and easily available that is presenting the problem.

That said, no drinks tonight!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by so2014 View Post
Nope, would not have gone to a bar or to get some. Kids at home, no way to drive them to a bar or liquor store, and too young to leave them home alone! So for me, right now, its what's in the house and easily available that is presenting the problem. That said, no drinks tonight!
Well there's your answer! Get it out of the house. Sure...if you really wanted to drink you could just go buy some but it would take more effort and you could pick up some tools to stop yourself. You live and learn. We all do!

Tomorrow is a new day! We all get another chance as long as we don't drink. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by so2014 View Post
And then I walked right into my bar (in my house) tonight and did 2 shots of rum. Without even thinking about it. Don't even like rum. It's like my body was on auto-pilot.
Something very similar happened to me once. I parked in a strip mall because there was a specialty grocery store I was getting something at, but instead I walked straight into the bar next door and had a beer before I even realized what I was doing. Most of my relapses started (mentally) days (or weeks) in advance, but that one just happened out of the blue. I found it deeply troubling. I literally could not explain my own actions.

There is a book by Daniel Kahneman called Thinking Fast and Slow that explains this phenomenon - at least to my satisfaction. Give it a read if the auto-pilot bit is bothering you.

Congrats on the 2 weeks of sober time. You still did it, and it still counts. Now...do it again!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
When I got sober, we had lots of beer lying around. I asked my husband to pack it all up and put it in a spare bedroom--then install a combination lock on the door that everybody knew how to unlock but me! He happily did it. Then when we had beer drinking guests, I could just seclude myself and they were free to enjoy.
Yeah, or you could live and not drink...

Alcohol isn't gonna just disappear off the earth. As the guy above me said, you either drink or you don't.