Notices

Is rehab the only answer?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is rehab the only answer?

Hi all,

I have been battling with alcohol for 6 years. I thought I was too young to be an alcoholic. But at 26 I can't take anymore. I have tried AA-counselling-antabuse- only to get worse. Is rehab the only way? I don't want to continue like this...
Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think it's the only way, but it certainly is a good option. Personal experience.

Bunnez
Old 10-20-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not the only way, but if you have had no luck on your own and have access to it, maybe give it a try? Rehab is going to be intensive counseling, group meetings, and self-work. There is no easy shortcut to healing from alcohol abuse.

It's all about you making a decision, a promise to yourself to do only that which is good for you.

Then sticking to it.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if it is the only answer but it sure is a good one. If you have the opportunity to go I'd snatch it up without hesitation. You are so smart to be putting so much effort into quitting now. I knew at your age that I had a problem but I kept going. Now at 35 I'm in much deeper than I was and have wasted years of my life.
Give rehab a real consideration. I can imagine it seems frightening but really, a month or more of being cared for, or focussing on you and on your healing without the distractions of the outside world, I think it sounds amazing.
Best of luck whatever you decide. I'm sure some others with first hand experience will chime in soon.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

From my experience re-hab was the thing that finally got me off the merry go-round. While there I met so many people younger than yourself who had already had enough. If you're the one who chooses to go and give yourself to the process, it is such a benefit. It was the best one thing I've ever done for myself.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This might help:HBO: Addiction: Aftercare: From Treatment to Sustained Recovery
Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a teacher and am so afraid I will be demonised for my alcoholism. If I can't teach again I wouldn't be able to carry on.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
waking down

If your alcoholism keeps progressing you probably won't be teaching anyway. Just saying.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rehab showed me the way. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to quit doing drugs when I went to rehab...I went because I was in too deep. After I got there they showed me the way. Helping me understand that I was in fact an alcoholic and couldn't moderate my drinking like everyone else. Also, if you have insurance I think it's an amazing gift to be able to attend treatmwnt. Not everybody had the luxury of insurance and being able to go to rehab. I couldn't have got clean without rehab, my withdrawals were too bad and they gave me medication and a safe environment to detox on safely. The thing about not wanting anyone to know because your a teacher maybe someone can help ya out with that one because I'm not sure. You can do this. If your ever have a moment of weakness remember we are all here for you .
Old 10-20-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueEyedBoy View Post
I am a teacher and am so afraid I will be demonised for my alcoholism. If I can't teach again I wouldn't be able to carry on.
You do not have to tell your employer "why" you are taking a "leave of absence". The Hipaa Law protects you from that if you are in the US. You can simply say you are having health issues and you need to take some time off. Not only can they NOT fire you for that...they can't demand to know WHAT your health issues are. You can ask the few people you tell (close friends/family) to keep quiet. You are an alcoholic. Alcoholism is a disease. A progressive & fatal one. Just like if you had cancer you would take time off for chemo. Treatment is your chemo. I would do it! You're only 26! Save your life before it's too late. I've seen so many people die from this disease. They were all young too. Heck...I almost died from it.

Good luck and be well! Prayers!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-20-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some really good advice here I think BEB - certainly something to look at if you haven't before?

D
Old 10-20-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For some, sure its the only way. For others, there are many other ways. I guess you need to be serious and honest with yourself.

Did you really make an effort to quit before? (And please know that I am not saying you didnt make an honest effort before, but just a question to get your started on your decision).
What went wrong in those efforts, and can you fix them by yourself?
What do you have to lose to trying rehab?
What do you have to lose to trying it without rehab?
What kind of support do you have at home?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I havn't been to rehab but glad they exist
Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You gotta do what you gotta do to make it work!!

Everyone is different but the alternative is continuing down the same path.

For me doing everything I needed to make it happen was worth doing!!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

someone in a meeting a few weeks ago asked the question, "were they too young to be an alcoholic?"

A guy answered, "are you too young to die?"

I have been an alcoholic since I was 13-14.

For me, I think rehab is a good option - because it gives you a medically supervised place to be cared for. My brain/body were so used to the alcohol that "just not drinking" wasn't really an option for me - I HAD to in order to be ok. Rehab gave me a safe place to get a reprieve from that cycle... It gave me a fighting chance.

I really cannot imagine trying to do it on my own - wait, actually I can - that is why I think rehab is a good idea.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Just another Pickle Man

I am the same age as you and I am actually starting to feel the same

If you dont have any commitments and are able to take the 30-60 days to step away from it all, then I would do it. I have actually been heavily considering it myself.

After soo many failed attempts to get clean and stay that way, professional help might be the best way to go. It will at least give you your initial 30 days and hopefully help build you support system. After that it is up to you and your ability to follow through but it gives you that jump start
Old 10-20-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't say rehab is the only answer, as there are many ways to get sober, but if it's available to you, I'd suggest taking the opportunity to get well.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As others have said, it's not the only answer. But yep, it's worth a look. I was flat on my back in a hospital bed before I got there - I'd have rather walked in under my own power. As you've heard, a trip to rehab was the best thing many of us have done. In my case, I needed help getting set straight, and that help was given to me in the modest rehab center I attended. Do what's right for you and for your future. Good luck, we're here to support you.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by BlueEyedBoy View Post
You're more likely to lose your job, your career, and probably much more if you don't get help.

Rehabs provide protection from the demands of our everyday lives, education about alcoholism, and guidance in achieving and then maintaining sobriety once a person is discharged. Hospital-based rehabs typically work with a person's medical and psychiatric needs. Other than that, you only get what you put into it.