Notices

I made a good decision yesterday

Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I made a good decision yesterday

So yesterday was our neighborhood's block party. Lots of live music, food and, of course, alcohol. I'd been working in the yard all day and a cool one sounded so good, which is exactly why I didn't get within 100 feet from the party. I'm just too new in my sobriety, and these are precisely the situations where I tend to fall down (it has been almost two weeks, my AV whispers. Just one drink, she coos).

So instead I sipped a diet tonic and fresh meyer lemon juice (my new beverage of choice). After a bit of a rest, I took the dogs out for another hike. I'm sure they are confused; where did she get all this energy

Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great Choice
Old 10-20-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"After a bit of a rest, I took the dogs out for another hike. " Happy dogs. YAY for you and your energy, and for putting yourself FIRST! You rock!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The longer you remain sober the more
ways you will find to avoid situations
that would make you feel uncomfortable.

We are suppose to enjoy sobriety, laugh,
have fun, but not if things in life makes
us uncomfortable.

For me, being around folks that are
drinking, under the influence of a
controlled, poisonous substance, makes
me uncomfortable, so I avoid attending
functions where it is available.

Today I have to take care of my own
peace of mind, health and sobriety to
enjoy a good quality of life.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great call Matilda....
Old 10-20-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, you did. Good job Matilda

Bunnez
Old 10-20-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sobriety is about change. We only have to change one thing. Everything!

Great job on making the right choice
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great choice.

Keep it up!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey matilda123, that's huge what you did. You should feel very proud, especially with all of that temptation.

I tend to feel a bit of anxiety when these type of functions are coming up. I was invited to a 4th of July party, as well as a Memorial Day party, this past Summer. They were hosted by the same family and are a big deal, however these are also notorious for being booze-bashes as well.

I couldn't do it. Not so much because I was afraid that I would drink, but more because I'd be thinking about how much more fun I'd be having if I did, thus killing the party for me. I elected to abstain from even attending either party myself.

It does suck to feel like you're missing out, but for me it's just the price of being a problem drinker. Plus I, as I'm sure you too, would be so disappointed if you (we) 'blew it.'

Also, as I'm sure you know, when your sober, the silly conversations and jokes tend to get old pretty quickly. So then I have to ask myself if I really missed out on anything or not.

You have a goal and you stuck to it. Nice job!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yaaay, you!

And I can't think of any happier activity than tons of dog hiking...healthy, joyous, and you get to witness dogs exploring nature, which is as wonderful as watching toddlers eat cake.

I'm in my third month, and I'm finding that I am getting better at granting a higher value to those healthy joyous activities than the drinking ones; it was a subtle shift.

I ask myself each time (my real self - not my AV - I'm getting better at telling them apart) "What do you want to do right now?" Interestingly, the answers are things like "yoga" or "sit in front of the fire and check SR on my phone" or "cook root vegetable casserole."

I think that my real self is getting savvy to the realization that when I choose those activities, I get to reap rewards for hours - here I am eating the food I cooked, now my body feels loose and energized after exercise - but if I power through a drinking event sober I end up nervous and muscle tense, even though I manage to "not drink."

There are some things I simply have to go to (work receptions at conferences, for example), but at those, I tell myself (and it is true) that I prefer being sober because I "work the room" with focus, and appear "sharp and clever."

But, even if you find yourself at the boozy block party type events, there is usually an elder or a youth to connect with, many folks don't drink much, and I simply have to avoid my tendency to immediately connect with the "real drinkers" - (damn, our radars are powerful!) I don't enjoy them anymore. If I have to choose between them and the hike, the hike wins (and not because I'm supposed to, but because that is truly what I most want to do...).

So, good on ya. That choice-choosing is a muscle, and it gets more toned every day. Soon it begins to surprise you with its easy strength during the heavy lifting...
Old 10-20-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good job matilda! I wish I could say the same for this weekend but I was the neighborhood party (again). Wishing you the best
Old 10-20-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job matilda. Just do whatever your comfortable with and whatever keeps you sober!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go! Know your limitations!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great stuff Matilda!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great choice Matilda
Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Good choice, that's my tactic at the moment, just stay away.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

That's how many of us do it, one thing ata time time; whether it be an event, a meeting/interaction, a moment, a day, a concert, a dinner, being alone, It's just that one thing for now, the next will come and we will take care of that. Future "tripping" leads to all sorts of things creeping into our mind and creating things-that are not real nor will they ever become real.

Way TO GO!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
"After a bit of a rest, I took the dogs out for another hike. " Happy dogs. YAY for you and your energy, and for putting yourself FIRST! You rock!
Sweet! My dogs were happy too this weekend when we went to the dog park AND on a hike. Glad you did what you need to do.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

, I took the dogs out for another hike
How nice for all of you! I find that if I'm depressed or anxious, a good dog walk usually makes me feel better. Plus, I love watching them 'checking their peemail'...
Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! The encouragement is so appreciated.

Just got out of a brutal meeting that, in days past, would have driven me to drink. I actually could feel myself getting very tense and thought, you know, it isn't worth it. When I got home I thought, heartcore, about your advice: what do you want to do right now?Really, what I want to do is have a good dinner (carne asada is bubbling in the crockpot) and then get in my pajamas and watch some bad tv. So, I guess that is what I'll do.