Notices

Aa

Old 10-19-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aa

Today went to my first AA. Dont know what to think about it. There was a lot of talking about God and a higher power which is actually not really my thing. Anyhow, just sat there and listened. It was for sure not as you see in the movies.

But will go back tomorrow and give it another change. It keeps my mind away from the boose and that is already something I guess?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

try different meetings is the key, till you find meetings you like, meetings are run by each group a bit differently than others, some will be quite heavy on god type of things and others are more laid back and just focus on drinking and living each day etc

i myself dont go to aa meetings that are focused on god etc and i am an active member of aa and been around for 10 years so there is room for all in aa like i said just have a look around the different types of meetings so you can see yourself the difference : )

good luck to you
Old 10-19-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

Your question comes up a lot here. This is a thread from just the other day:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4963419
Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It may click eventually if you let it x
Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi muffin2, welcome.

I struggled with AA at first, I used to sit and roll my eyes hating being there. Talks of "higher powers" and people being overly nice and helpful really used to get my goat I was told just bring the body and the head will follow. I did, for months and something eventually clicked. I take from AA what I want to and give back what I can. It's your recovery.

It's not for everyone but that along with SR saved my life.

Wishing you well.

L x
Old 10-20-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.
Many have no experience regarding AA. Much dislike is perhaps a fear of the unknown or a deep fear it may work on them. I don’t know all the reasons. It works like other programs when we follow the directions others have followed for years. Today there are several million sober in the program which shows rocket scientist me that it works for the people that work it.
Alcohol did some bad things to us mentally and emotionally so perhaps some might give it some time to clear up before making any final decisions.
I don’t see any harm in going to meetings and just listening.

The following is read before most meetings and is part of the foundation of the fellowship. It may need more than one reading to absorb.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.