Notices

harder than I thought

Old 10-20-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

TheLayers! Six days is an amazing accomplishment - you are doing great! I am on day 20 so my first week wasn't that long ago and I remember what it was like. And I remember having days when I thought "this isn't so bad" and then suddenly being hit sideways by a series of cravings, one after the other, all day long. I read somewhere in these forums to eat ice cream, so I went out and bought the biggest bucket I could find, laid on my couch with my pillow and blanket, watched movies and ate. My motto was "anything I want as long as it's not alcohol."
I just want to tell you that it gets better and better. Tonight I was just sitting and relaxing before I had to go to work, and I had wave after wave of something I can only describe as physical joy. I just felt good. What I think it might be, is that I am so used to feeling anxious, that normal feels joyous. OK that's just a guess, but I want you to hang in there, TheLayers. I want you to know it's worth it. I want you to know you are going to be fine. Keep it up!
Old 10-20-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
instant

welcome to SR. You are in withdrawal and it will get better in time- you will be over the worst of it soon, this is the rough and raw part. Hang in there- remember it is an addiction and the addictive part of yourself wants a drink.

I am so glad I was able to overcome the pull back to drinking- it is worth it to stay sober
Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome,Thelayers, I'm 9 days sober and so far have felt a mixture of tears, panic, anxiety, euphoria, aches and pains, insomnia, sitting with the curtains closed in the day, running away from everything, irritability and cravings. You're brain and body are re-adjusting, chemicals rebalancing. We are coming off a poison- there's bound to be some ups and downs.
You're doing great, six days is amazing.

I found it helpful to look at some of the "what to expect when giving up alcohol" stuff on the net-they explain the chemical imbalances in your brain and body. I've got to say I am shocked by my withdrawals, never thought it was that bad, same as you. But things are looking better, slowly, and I know I've made the right choice. Stick around, it's great here !
Old 10-20-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
misanthrope

Originally Posted by TheLayers View Post
First post. First time joining something like this. Going on six days sober. First desire to drink came yesterday and has been on an off every couple hours since then. Fighting with the SO isn't really helping. I am sweating and shivering and shaky intermittently all day. I've had what I can only imagine are panic attacks. Twice today I grabbed my keys thinking screw it. I'm worse now than I was six days ago. But I didn't go anywhere. Feeling overwhelmed by the emotions and physical symptoms. Though I wasn't expecting this yo be easy I certainly didn't think there would be this many side effects. Can anybody relate ?
I will tell you, i got my ass kicked for the for the first few weeks, it was bad. Also as you mentioned it was much harder the expected and I was looking for every excuse to drink, including battling with the wife. I'm only 90 days and it is slowly getting better, please hang in there. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hang in there, TheLayers. I had a problem with alcohol (a nice way to minimize it) for more than 25 years. Today is Day 66 of sobriety for me; the first two weeks or so were tough. I used ice cream and chocolate bars to combat my urges, and I babied myself. I had massages, facials, manicures and pedicures. Take care.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm going to book a massage today. I think that's a great idea. Thank you for your message !
Old 10-20-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Lots of self care, Layers. Lots of self care. Feed you body what it needs with healthy foods and water. I drank super healthy green smoothies to support my body. Be very kind to yourself especially in early recovery. Once you can sleep well again, that helps a lot. I'm so glad you joined us. SR is a really fun and helpful place to be. Congrats on your decision to live a healthy life.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome, Layers, and OWN your six days! That's great.

I'm on day four (again) and still feeling shaky and irritable and fighting (or surfing - look up urge surfing) urges to drink. From past experience I know I'll feel this way for a while. Decades of heavy drinking are going to take a while to heal - physically, emotionally, etc.

As others have said, everyone here understands what you're going through. Hope you stick around. It really helps.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here TL - this site & everyone here has been a huge support to me. Great job on 6 days & keep going, you will be amazed at how much better you feel!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

TL.....check out the class of October 2014

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html
Old 10-20-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great job on 6 Days!!