Notices

New

Old 10-19-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hi all, I'm new on this forum and my English is not so good. I think I'm struggling with alcohol for about 25 years now. Sometimes i have the feeling it is under control but it is not. The only way not to drink is by using antabuse apparantly. But some periods I "forget" to take it and then I'm lost.

For work I relocated to Panama whilst my (second) wife, children and grand children are about 10.000 km away from here. And this makes it even more difficult to control.

Thing is that it seems as if there is no fun in a life without alcohol? All my closest friends are heavy drinkers but most of them seems to have it under control (apart from one or two execptions) and I connect everything i do with alcohol. And I do not know to break this vicious circle ....
Old 10-19-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Muffin welcome to SR
Old 10-19-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Muffin, this a great place to start. I would suggest taking some time to read posts here and to post your feelings and thoughts. A good place to start is a thread called October class of 2014 part two. It is generally made up of those of us who have chosen October as our month to become sober. You'll get lots of encouragement. Welcome.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I had a drinking problem for 25 years, too. It took me many tries to quit, but with the help of AA and the people here, I've managed to.
Looking back on it, my close friends weren't really close friends- they were drinking buddies. I found I could live without them.
You'll find a lot of support here so please keep reading and posting.
Best to you.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Muffin ! I used to think that I would miss out on all the fun, but that was because I spent half my life in bars. In reality there are lots of people who don't drink heavily and still have fun. You could go to places where you could have fun without a drink, it might mean making some new friends or taking up a new hobby. You will find lots of support here and people's stories.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the support, promised myself to go to a AA meeting tonight. See what this can do to help me. Still I know I cannot do without this Antabuse medication, therefore find myself very weak person, low selfimage for the moment whilst I have to be strong, need all my energy to get the new business up and running
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Muffin, you are not weak.

Alcoholism is not a character defect, it's a disease.

Good for you for working on your recovery.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Muffin, welcome to the site here.

I found it easiest to take one day at a time. Wake up in the morning and make a plan. Promised myself I wouldn't drink, just for that day. I can do anything for 24 hours. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Try to stay in today, and have a plan for activities each day. Stay busy, eat and sleep well.

You can do it.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Muffin!!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Muffin.

Taking Antabuse is NOT being weak! It's a tool and you still have to have the skill and smarts to use it. I wanted my doctor to prescribe it but he wouldn't.

We are NOT WEAK. We are addicted. The first thing is not like the second thing.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you Muffin. It really helps to talk things over with our friends here. We're happy you joined us.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

@ Stevie1, why did yr docter refused to prescribe the antabuse???
Old 10-19-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. No matter when you need support, you can always find it here.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muffin2 View Post
@ Stevie1, why did yr docter refused to prescribe the antabuse???
This was about a year ago, and he was a new-to-me doctor, so he didn't know me. He was concerned about Antabuse causing potentially life-threatening emergency medical situations.

Mainly, he didn't want to open himself up for a potential lawsuit, I'm thinking. I'm in the US and this is definitely a factor in determining care: fear of lawsuits.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! It's very tough to get properly started hanging around heavy drinkers.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
This was about a year ago, and he was a new-to-me doctor, so he didn't know me. He was concerned about Antabuse causing potentially life-threatening emergency medical situations.

Mainly, he didn't want to open himself up for a potential lawsuit, I'm thinking. I'm in the US and this is definitely a factor in determining care: fear of lawsuits.
Oh, my doctor in Europe precsribed it simply when I asked for it. I cannot stop drinking without it and so far I have not found any alternatives. Oh god, if only a simple injection or even surgery could help permanently. I do not what to do with my social live, everything is in function of alcohol, holiday included. Dont know how to handle this. Live seems so boring without alcohol.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome SR Muffin~
Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi muffin and welcome. First, your English is great, I know how difficult it can be to communicate, especially write, in your non-native language.
I too am taking antabuse and am so thankful to have it as a tool right now while I figure out how to make my way sober. Keep taking it everyday. Try not to forget it, it is important.
I sometimes find it frustrating to not drink, simply because I want to. But I haven't found that life is boring without alcohol. I can still do all the things I did before, I just do them sober. I would definitely suggest avoiding places that will stress you- bars, etc. But you have the anatabuse as a shield, you can still go out to dinner with friends, dancing, what do you like to do? Do you play any sports? You could met up with friends for a football match or to watch a game. It feels a little weird to do these things sober at first, but it is totally possible to do them.