Notices

Small differences already...

Old 10-19-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Small differences already...

And so onto Day 6. Last night was the first sober Saturday night I have had for years. Had cravings again around 5 to 6 but having learned the whole HALT thing from this site I went and made dinner early and it soon passed.

It's nice not having to think in the morning if I have enough wine in the house to see me through the day. Today I am more concerned if there is enough cake in the house.

It's nice remembering the movie I watched last night. Downton Abbey is on tonight and I will actually be able to watch it and remember it! Before I would watch it and record it so I could recap on Monday if I had forgotten what happened!

It's nice to wake up without feeling sick and wondering how I am going to manage to get a piece of toast down because I know I need to eat something. This morning I am looking forward to a nice big breakfast!

It's nice to think "what am I going to do today?"
Old 10-19-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Yes, it's called 'Freedom' !

One of my best feelings of sobriety-freedom came when I went to an all-afternoon and evening leaving do. Normally, I would have driven myself mad for days beforehand trying to figure out how to attend and stay relatively sober so I didn't act like a fool and that I got home safely across London afterwards. I would have tried to stick to gin with loads and loads of tonic and would have done all I could to avoid the call of the Chardonnay. Inevitably I would either weaken and put myself in danger or be totally miserable and leave early. This time, I knew I wouldn't drink so I looked forward to the event, enjoyed mixing with people I hadn't seen for a while, got home safely and remembered it all with pleasure! Simples!

You're still at the beginning, Flakey, but this journey will take you to places you've never dared dream about! Stick with it, my friend xxx
Old 10-19-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks headlump! Just realised how much food is involved in my post! I will probably put on a few pounds over the next few weeks but that is so much better than the alternative
Old 10-19-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by Flakey View Post
Thanks headlump! Just realised how much food is involved in my post! I will probably put on a few pounds over the next few weeks but that is so much better than the alternative
Oh, it's far better than the alternative! It's your body rebalancing itself after all that alcohol abuse

And I meant to say that what you're experiencing are not small differences in any way. They could be life-changingly huge if you let them
Old 10-19-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

It's the little reminders like that that keep me going at times. I'll add getting into a freshly made bed with clean linen, having showered and not waking at 3.00 AM in an anxiety-ridden sweat.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I got really used to those 3am wake ups. It wasn't until I started reading posts here that I realised it was all part of the cycle
Old 10-19-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nothing worse than the 3am wake ups.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with the 3 a.m. wake UP's...ugh
Old 10-19-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Flakey, what a great post. Great to hear that you're finding pleasure in the little things, i do too, I really identify with LaV's clean linen too-first thing I did was bought a new bed, one that I can be proud of, and new linen, and a nice patchwork quilt. no wine stains, bedroom smells lovely too. New bed, new life. Day 6 and you're going strong, isn't it wonderful ?
Old 10-19-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Flakey, Day 6!!! Fantastic work, friend! And thanks for the great post. Your cake comment cracked me up. I've got plans to make a couple of sheets of brownies "for coworkers" on Monday.

Spontaneity is back in my life and it feels great. Wanna go for a drive? Wanna walk by the lake? Wanna stop by to check on an elderly neighbor? Wanna get new Halloween lights? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Keep at it, Flakey!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

You know, I've been eating everything that crosses my path since I quit, and I'm still losing weight. And food is worlds better than alcohol. So eat away! I think I'll make some scones this morning, come to think of it!

And the clean linens, yes! The booze sweat smelled terrible. I washed the sheets three times a week. Way less laundry now, can't complain about that.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Congrats on day 6!!!

I eat all the time now. Its what I grab when I crave. And not healthy either. I will have to remedy that soon. but for now I am just enjoying not worry about it. After all the bad stuff I have been hearing about diet soda, I have now stopped drinking that as well. However, now its regular soda and not wisely. lol I need to go back to water today. lol But we are not drinking alcohol..thats the most important thing!
Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Flakey amazing friend
Old 10-19-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six days sober. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

why is it always 3AM?

I really hated that.

You all have inspired me to change the sheets!

Keep it going, Flakey.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats - I find each day brings one more "small" (huge) difference - keep on going
Old 10-19-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good work Flakey.
The 3 AM wake up. Goodness. I get up sometimes now for a big shot of milk. So much better than the Alka Selter with half cup of Vodka mixed in back in the dark days.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 6!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Flakey

D