Notices

amazing to me

Old 10-18-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

amazing to me

It is just amazing to me to see how people drink. I had 4 people over for dinner tonight. I told them they could bring wine if they wanted some. So they had ONE bottle of wine and there was some LEFT OVER! Three of them had one glass of wine, and didn't even want any more.. Geeze...if I had been drinking, I would have had a couple of glasses before they arrived, then a bottle to myself while they were here, and I would have had some more after they left. There should be no doubt in my mind that I have a major problem with alcohol. But I'm happy to say that the dinner was a smashing success (no pun intended ) and I had a great time. This was the first time in my 8 months sober that I had people over. I didn't stress out, didn't have to worry about if I was slurring my words, and I will feel good in the morning. But it is baffling how others are not preoccupied with the alcohol as I was when I drank. They don't even care about it. I wouldn't even have bothered with ONE glass of wine...geeze! Thank goodness I don't drink.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know... isn't it crazy? Our compulsion to drink is INSANE! If I were still drinking, I would have done the same as you would have (obviously) haha. It has always been unacceptable to me and really hard to comprehend seeing people leaving glasses of wine half full at some dinner. Who would leave their glasses half empty?! If I could, I would just drink their leftovers while I was at it haha.. In fact, if you told me I was only allowed to have one or two glasses of wine and that's it, I WOULDN'T EVEN BE INTERESTED! It's either all or nothing for me. I could never stop once I started to drink. When I had plans to go on a date or to go to some gathering where I did not know many people, it was always my excuse to drink a bit (more like a bottle of wine before going) to calm my nerves.. Later, I started drinking meeting my best friends before dinner or drinks. It's like, who needs to drink 2-3 glass of wine before meeting their best friend for dinner?

To be honest, I still do not find the idea of going to dinner and having 2 glasses of wine, being slightly tipsy (if even...) and going home to bed. I drank to get drunk as fast as possible and nothing would stand in my way. It's funny, I always think to myself I wish I could drink like a normal person (which I can't) because I don't think I would even enjoy it LOL
Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Also, every time I had to go somewhere, like a friend's apartment, a dinner party, a birthday party etc, I would bring along bottle of wine "for proper etiquette" but in reality it was JUST FOR MYSELF! In case they didn't have enough alcohol LOL how sad.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have me laughing, Margherita...that's exactly how it was with me. Absolutely no interest in one or two glasses of wine why bother? And I also took the proper etiquette bottle of wine also...just to make sure there was enough for me. Pathetic. And heaven forbid if I had to share...no way. Get your own! Thank goodness I'm out of that race. I pray that I never return to that sad state of mind.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree totally shocking that normal people can drink like that! I am just like you! Good thing we all understand each other)
Old 10-18-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh Lord yes....if I couldn't drink myself into oblivion, what's the point?!
Also don't forget the half pint stashed in your purse or roomy pocket just for a back-up...
Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me too. The cry of "alcohol abuse!" When someone spilled? That was me. If I couldn't drink as much as I wanted I wouldn't even start.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im with you! It used to be drinks before drinks. A mini in my purse to hide the amount.. It was getting way to complicated . So much easier to have none then bother with one or two ...
Old 10-18-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I know, it's amazing! My husband is like that. One small glass of whiskey. One glass of wine (sometimes he would drink half and pass the rest to me because he didn't want it but knew I sure did!). I can't understand it, but I'm sure he can't understand the way I drink either.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
I know, it's amazing! My husband is like that. One small glass of whiskey. One glass of wine (sometimes he would drink half and pass the rest to me because he didn't want it but knew I sure did!). I can't understand it, but I'm sure he can't understand the way I drink either.
My husband never understood either. He would pass me the rest of his drink also...
Old 10-18-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Btw, I just found this thread from a couple of years ago about "switching liquor stores"

I am definitely very familiar with this haha. I would literally go out of my way to switch liquor stores constantly so the people at one store won't think I have a drinking problem. Anyway the posts here really made me laugh so here it is:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...or-stores.html
Old 10-18-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really wonder why some of us get this affliction and others don't. I guess it's many genetic, social, emotional and ??? factors. But that's another thread.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Omg, that post from 2010 is hysterical Margherita. It's all stuff that I did. Always wondering what the sales clerk was thinking, as if they cared. I even got paranoid about using my debit card for booze as if big brother was keeping track! It was so embarrassing - it was great to buy a case of wine cause I wouldn't have to shop for a couple of weeks, but then I would drink more...it was a loosing battle. I'm so happy to be free of that.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Do you mind if I ask how long you've been sober?
Old 10-19-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hah. I went to a party last night and I was also aghast at how little people drink. Back when I used to get stuck into it I thought everyone drank like I did. Nope . No wonder I made an arse out of myself so often. I was hammered and everyone else was just slightly tipsy. Most of these people just sat on a few drinks all night. If that's all I was having I wouldn't bother.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

8.5 months, on fire.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh I can relate to all these posts. One or two glasses never happened. Always 1 or 2 bottles.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What is one glass of wine? I don't know anyone who can drink one glass of wine. What's the point? Silly normies. Glad you are above the fray.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hopeful

Wow...it's amazing how much I think...THOUGHT...like all of you. It took so much mental energy to "hide" what I was so sure everybody else was watching closely. In reality, they probably didn't even give a rip. Makes me mentally exhausted just thinking about it.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

margherita, that was a funny thread! I switched liquor stores too though I did have a regular.