Notices

25 years

Old 10-18-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25 years

After 25 years of drinking wine, I finally stopped three weeks ago. Again. I was so, so, so very tired. Tired of drinking, tired of feeling like crap, tired that I was either drinking or thinking about my next drink. Tired of having to make sure I had enough wine in the house. Tired of trying and failing and trying and failing to stop. Just. Very. Tired. So I stopped. I felt like i was standing on the precipice of a huge, big scary abyss, my physical symptoms were getting out of hand, and eventhough I could very easily skip a day, or two, or even three, I could not stop altogher. Despite it all. And when I finally did, three weeks ago, the damage I have been doing became evident. My detox symptoms were frightening. and now, three weeks later, eventhough I feel proud, I feel fuzzy.. I feel unbalanced, anxious, I can't breathe, I have aches and pains all over the place and I feel like the whole world around me is "wobbly".... which is strange, because when I was drunk, I never felt even remotely wobbly..
What I do feel though, is much more patient with myself. I do not feel so pressured, so rushed, so expected to Do All at once. I have given myself time to get through these symptoms, day by day, because I assume it is fairly common to feel the way I do. I am happy I found this forum today, it helps me greatly to read others who have succeeded where they have failed so many times before... it gives me encouragement that I can do this, too.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome
Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on 3 weeks
Old 10-18-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

GOOD JOB!!! You should be proud of yourself and it's good that you're being patient and kind to yourself.

Stick around and read lots and post lots if you want. After that many years drinking, it's going to take time for you to heal.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stickyfingers.... You are one fast learning recoverer.

Welcome aboard
Old 10-18-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post and congrats on 3 weeks!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stickeyfingers Im going into day 6, I know the tired thing, who would think drinking would be so tiring . Im enjoying waking up with out the hangover, Feel a little off but thinking much clearer, Drank for a long time and I know it will take some time to get back to normal. I also have slowed down and take more time doing things, Im enjoying it, not making everything such a stressful event. I'm taking the time to smell the roses, not falling into them
Old 10-18-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 10-18-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's very common to feel the way you do. Years of poisoning yourself takes it's toll and time to heal. Your body is used to having it's daily dose of booze. It'll take a while but you'll start feeling better. Great job breaking the cycle and good luck!
Old 10-18-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you stickyfingers. I think it'll really help you to be here - you're among people who understand what early recovery is like.

I was all achy and strange-feeling too for about a month, & I was exhausted. It takes time to mend and heal after beating ourselves up. You'll get there. Congratulations.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR StickyFingers

while all that sounds normal to me, its a good idea to see a Dr if you're concerned

D
Old 10-19-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome, congratulations on 3 weeks. I am right there with you at 21 days and am feeling all those things too. But I have hope that it gets better- we have a ton of great examples right here on this forum. I know they aren't lying to us when they say feeling great is right around the corner!
Old 10-19-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

Brilliant. For me things slowly settled down. The freedom is worth the journey