Notices

Drunk

Old 10-18-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk

Am drunk now, ready to stop feeling like this and for day 1 tomorrow. I have struggled with ocd style behaviour and intrusive thoughts for over 2 years now and wanting things to improve.

Really need support and advice in this difficult period!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its not that difficult - really.....
Im on day 7 and finding it easier to be sober than be drunk nightly and not enjoying it anymore -because I KNOW I need to stop.(?)
Welcome here.
Your honesty is a big plus to stopping.

Advice?
Read posts here, learn, ask ?';s and SET a QUIT DAY!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I self medicated for OCD and depression for years. I'm on meds now, and went through CBT and exposure therapy. How can I help?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Resolve to make this your last drunk. Understand you can never, ever drink again. WE'll all support you on that, but it is up to you to recognize trhat you are powerless over alcohol once you pick up and take that first drink, that your life then becomes unmanageable and you hate that.
We've been there, we know, we understand. Most of us take it "One DayAt A Time" and even one minute, one hour....one event at a time.

You Can Do This.....
Old 10-18-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No time like the present to not drink anymore Stewy!!

The key thing is planning your evenings, changing up your routines, the activities you get involved in, the people you hang out with, nothing changes if nothing changes is the saying.

You can do this, and it all starts with a Day 1!!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, I think the ocd and intrusive thoughts will be much easier to deal with when you're sober. There are techniques that you can use to help diminish intrusive thoughts. I hope that you decide to stop drinking.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
No time like the present to not drink anymore Stewy!!

The key thing is planning your evenings, changing up your routines, the activities you get involved in, the people you hang out with, nothing changes if nothing changes is the saying.

You can do this, and it all starts with a Day 1!!
There it is.
Do just that.
Bravo!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When my therapist told me that thoughts are just thoughts, they are not good or bad, they just are. They cannot hurt you. He taught me to hear the intrusive thought, acknowledge it by saying something like "ok intrusive thought. I heard you. But I have stuff to do now so thanks for sharing. Bye now."
Old 10-18-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alcohol exacerbates and makes all things worse. Good luck on your new beginning you can do this, take it slow and be kind to yourself.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I stopped taking citalopram 40mg about 4 months ago as I was feeling better (also had concerns over putting weight on / other side effects) tapered off with support from GP.

I have now started to become paranoid / anxious at work and suffering with really negative thought processes. Is it the drink? Is it stopping citalopram?

Im also struggling with my relationship with girlfriend, she is understandably upset that I continue to drink yet she doesn't appear to understand the thought side of things.

I work a really stressful job in management of supported living services (people with learning disabilities ) working long hours so worried I'm not managing the stress that goes along with this too
Old 10-18-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I know for me I tend to get lost in my head a lot and have intrusive thoughts when I'm sober. It gets much worse when I drink. I go all the way into my head. There is no presence or mindfulness, I'm just gone. If you can see a therapist or psychiatrist, they might be able to offer you some guidance.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Start by getting rid of the alcohol in your home. Then as was previously suggested take it a day at a time. Do whatever you need to do to not drink. Dig deep. Somewhere in there is a happy sober person. Find him!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It seems there are a lot of us alcoholics that drink toward an end of relieving our mental health issues, and I'm always amazed of how many report improvement when they give sobriety a fighting chance.

Let your GP know you are still struggling, and maybe he or she can advise you of alternative therapies. But also, you must not drink.

Good luck Stewy...

Earlyriser
Old 10-18-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

I sent you a 101 link i hope it helps
Old 10-18-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Stewy

there's a lot of support and encouragement here

I don;t have OCD but I had a lot of other issues I self medicated for like anxiety...it was an extra layer of complexity to my recovery but the support here really helped

glad you found us

D
Old 10-19-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Stewy. You've found a great resource here on the web. Use it every day. Read and learn from others.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome Stewey. You' ll be ok here. Everyone will support you. Hope you come with us on your journey to recovery. I have mental health issues too, but as everyone has said, self medicating with booze just makes things worse, only we don't realise that while we are doing it. Take the first step today.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Stewy!

Hope today finds you nurturing your choice of sobriety.

This is a great place for support of that choice and you will not regret it!
Old 10-19-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
I stopped taking citalopram 40mg about 4 months ago as I was feeling better (also had concerns over putting weight on / other side effects) tapered off with support from GP.

I have now started to become paranoid / anxious at work and suffering with really negative thought processes. Is it the drink? Is it stopping citalopram?

Im also struggling with my relationship with girlfriend, she is understandably upset that I continue to drink yet she doesn't appear to understand the thought side of things.

I work a really stressful job in management of supported living services (people with learning disabilities ) working long hours so worried I'm not managing the stress that goes along with this too
I'm on citalopram and tried to come off it a few months ago but ended up back on it again, turned out it was keeping my ibs at bay as well as making me feel better. I'm not suggesting you need to go back on it but would be worth having a chat with your doctor about stopping drinking, the depression anxiety and other issues.

You need to sit down with your girlfriend and explain to her how you are feeling, if it's hard to get everything out then write it in a letter.

I really recommend hypnotherapy for ocd and anxiety (if your gp agrees) if you can learn to control the stress it will make everything a lot easier. If you are really ready to stop completely then you can do this! Keep posting. If you feel the need to drink post. Get as much support as you can. I'm using rational recovery and AVRT and it's really helping me. My problem has always been drinking to relieve stress (or so I told myself), it hasn't been easy but I've finally realised that alcohol does nothing to help me cope. In fact quite the opposite. You are in the right place