Notices

I bailed on the new..whatever it was.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I bailed on the new..whatever it was.

Didn't go to the city. Plans fell thru. Returned my former amour's text this morning. I was light and lovely. I didn't hear from him all day. We have spent every weekend together hanging out almost from the get go. By 7:30 tonight I was a wreck. My emotions CANNOT be dictated by my phone right now..whether he contacts me or he don't.

I'm not strong enough for this right now. I have too much to sort in my own life. I still have resolved my business issues or my lease or many other unattended things. My part time money gig is ending on monday and I need a new one. I have too much to do than be consumed by all this. My sobriety and smo-briety is too damn new.

I blocked his number. I'm sorry. I'm a coward. I will not know if he contacts me..or he doesn't. I may remove him from my blacklist in a few days..I may not. I just can't handle this right now. I really really can't.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Nuudawn,

Take good care of Nuudawn.

Soberly yours,
Venecia
Old 10-17-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it was a wise decision given that it's been causing you some stress Nuu.
Early recovery needs to be you time I think

D
Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It obviously wasn't meant to be. take care of yourself, love will find you in its own time
Old 10-17-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Nuu ... hugs to you. Hang in there baby!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you for doing what you needed to do to take care of yourself. There is a reason they are called ex's.

Sorry in advance for being vulgar, but it's like trying to put a bowel movement back into your colon. Just flush already and don't look back.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Love is such a high risk, high reward undertaking. As your SR friend I would like to remind you of how accomplished you are in your quest for genuine self love. Yes, you share some of your heart space with the new whatever it was...but all is not lost. You are still the same beautiful, intelligent, thoughtful sober woman on a quest.

We never thought that actively living our lives, as our best selves to the best of our ability would be a straight shot, did we? So now let's grab some ice cream, sit on the couch wearing toasty warm sweats and turn something funny on the TV while you talk it out. No whirling dervish Nuu tonight - you are doing what you need to do and you are among friends.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeTheVerte View Post
Love is such a high risk, high reward undertaking. As your SR friend I would like to remind you of how accomplished you are in your quest for genuine self love. Yes, you share some of your heart space with the new whatever it was...but all is not lost. You are still the same beautiful, intelligent, thoughtful sober woman on a quest.

We never thought that actively living our lives, as our best selves to the best of our ability would be a straight shot, did we? So now let's grab some ice cream, sit on the couch wearing toasty warm sweats and turn something funny on the TV while you talk it out. No whirling dervish Nuu tonight - you are doing what you need to do and you are among friends.
That was so achingly beautiful. Thank you. It is JUST what I needed to hear. Thank you my dear dear friend.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope this cheers you up

Old 10-17-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Hope this cheers you up

OH MY GAWD. ABSOLUTELY!!!

So awesome. Thank you from the bottom of my heart...for PATSY!!!!!
Old 10-18-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck nudawn hope it makes you feel less stressed
Old 10-18-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nuu, I speak from the relatively safe place of a 38 year marriage (I hasten to add I was very young when we married ) but, as another woman in recovery, I am greatly relieved that you have put this new relationship aside from your current main focus. I found it hard enough to sustain an old beloved relationship through recovery -- to initiate and sustain a new one would paralyse me.

It may be that this fellow will turn out to be someone you do want in your life later on or down the track but right now, no, you cannot be living a newly sober life while watching your phone for messages.

Embrace what you need to do for you and embrace the people who come into your life in friendship and support without holding out on you. You are too smart, funny and loveable not to have an enduring relationship when the time is right Nuu.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nuu Big hugs to you. That was such a tough decision and such a BRAVE one. I am glad to see you doing what you need to do to take care of yourself.
While I don't have 38 years of experience like Marcher, I am in a very stable, healthy and loving relationship. Yes despite this there have been moments during my recovery that I have just felt the need to be alone and focus solely on myself and my sobriety. I say that to remind you that even great things can be a stressful weight during this delicate time. If the relationship was causing you even more stress that the normal ins and outs of romance then you definitely have made the right decision.
Good for you for taking care of yourself the way you need to and the way you deserve.
I know that just knowing you made the right decision does not necessarily make it easier though. Hang in there.
Here are two quotes that I have indelibly woven into my mind, they might sound insipid but they get me through tough spots sometimes:

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.

The salts of life make the fruits taste sweeter.

Hope they help you like the often do me.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi nuu,
I think you are confused. Blocking his number does not make you a coward. Quite the opposite actually. Sitting back and basing your happiness and well being on his actions is the weaker action. Letting him decide how you feel will never bring you happiness. The action you took was hard, and brave.

I know first hand that relationships can be just as addictive as substances. So much so, that I compromised responsibilities and other relationships, I compromised my financial situation, I compromised my self worth, just to be with a person who abused me. Sounds weird doesn't it? It was exactly like my relationship with alcohol.

So ending it was the same process as quitting drinking for me. Blocking him was complete abstinence. Continuing to see him a little here and there was akin to moderating, and we all know how that ends. And of course, just like with booze, my AV would come up with all kinds of reasons why I should contact him, take his calls, listen to what he was telling me, just be "friends", etc. again I did the same thing I did with quitting my substance addiction. These type of thoughts:
"Things will be different."
"He's learned, he's grown"
" I can handle seeing him"
" I can handle sleeping with him and not becoming emotionally involved"
"We will just remain friends"
All those thoughts were AV. I recognized that and said no every time. No contact with him helped me so much because just like drinking a little bit, it can be deceiving. If I were to drink a couple of glasses of wine, I would be fine for a short honeymoon period. But very soon, I will be waking up in the psych ward again.

I know this to be true with drinking. I know this to be equally true with that relationship.

I promise you in time you will be involved in a relationship that feels less like an addiction and more like something comfortable. For a woman like me, that was a problem in itself at first, but it really is worth it to give up the roller coaster rides.

I'm editing to add: I didn't realize this was a 'newish' relationship. I'm thinking you had a bad relationship before? Or maybe I have you mixed up with someone else...
Sorry if my post doesn't apple to your current situation. Xo
Old 10-18-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

What Soberlicious said.

You've made a very mature and self-loving decision.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nuu, there is much good advice for you here, and you know that you are doing the right things for yourself, even though it hurts and is a bit scary right now. You are growing and you are moving forward.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hear ya Nuudawn. I too, blocked my friends number just yesterday. Gotta be happy ourselves before we can make someone else happy. My sobriety has only just begun...hang in there.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nuu, your decision to step away from this relationship was a courageous one. While there is no such thing as a smooth sailing romantic relationship, a new relationship shouldn't be causing stress and anxiety.

You are an incredibly bright, insightful, funny and strong woman with a wealth of goodness to bring to a relationship. Somewhere out there is a man who is wondering where in the world Nuu is and when he is finally going to finally you.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Just sending some hugs your way.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JanieJ View Post
What Soberlicious said. You've made a very mature and self-loving decision.
I agree with Janie and Soberlicious. Great job, Nuudawn. Hang in there - time to focus on YOU!