Notices

Hello - Newcomer

Old 10-18-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Hey Margherita!

I also had (and still have) a hard time picturing a life with no drinking, ever. I reached the point where continuing to drink became scarier than stopping so I stopped about three months ago. Even though I don't want to drink, it's still feels like such a big part of my life is gone. I'm filling the void with the normal, daily stuff that normal, healthy people do. Even watching evening network TV sober at first felt like a small victory!
Hello MelindaFlowers, thank you soo much for your reply. I really could identify with what you were going through. It seems like our experiences were very similar.

CONGRATS on 3 months - that is amazing and such a big accomplishment. Today is Day 40 for me and I'm doing ok. I am ok with not drinking today, but I cannot and do not want to imagine a life without alcohol. At the same time I know I cannot drink moderately. If I pick up a drink, I do not know how much I will drink and what will happen to me. I cannot help but drink if I stay sober for a while, that I can drink again and I can moderate it this time. This is my first serious attempt at sobriety, but I keep hearing over and over again that it will get worse if I drink - I just kind of would like to think that's not the case.

I also feel the same that the hardest part is NOT that I am not drinking, but that a huge part of my life is gone. All social events, going out with friends, dinner parties, going to bars, hanging out with people, birthdays, weddings - they all included alcohol and are associated with alcohol in my mind. I do not feel at all comfortable going to a party or a bar, not drink and be around a bunch of people drinking. It's way too much for me to handle, I honestly do not think I can go to a bar with friends and watch them drink while being sober. I do not even think I would have any fun. I would be just annoyed/craving a drink/resentful at everyone else because they can drink and have fun/bored... So I basically just cut that fun, socializing, seeing friends part out of my life for a while and feel quite lonely. It's like I am young and I want to go out and have fun, and see friends and date guys and just feel like I have a fun life. But I guess it's okay. As you said, I guess as time goes on I will get used to alcohol not being such a central part of my life and "not drinking" will not be such an issue anymore.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for your post and feels so great having the support of people like you.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, Margherita. Great to meet you !
Old 10-18-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Welcome to SR Margherita, Im young too, 30 but I managed to drink for a whole lifetime in a little over a decade, its a great thing to decide to stop while were young.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
AlmA

WELCOMEEEEE margherita!!!

Great life ahead YOU