Notices

Is it normal to feel euphoric ?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Is it normal to feel euphoric ?

Having made it through nearly a week sober now, with some ups and downs, I'm actually feeling really excited and euphoric today . Still got a racing brain but feel cleaner somehow, like you do when you've been for a long swim, tired but comfortable.

Is it normal too feel so happy so soon after giving up ? I 'm fully aware that it could be temporary.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Just a thought, but do you think that perhaps it's due to the body not having to detox itself as much, thereby allowing you to feel this way?

Either way, this is a good thing and you should not only feel happy, but very proud of yourself!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

7 days is awesome Janie happy sober friday

course your going to feel good well done
Old 10-17-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I felt a huge sense of relief. Your comparison to the body after a swim is accurate - just emptied out and at peace.

Physically, I struggled with tight muscles, headaches, and difficulty sleeping for at least the first month. I'm in my third month now, and most of that is resolved, although I had to be very intentional about solving it.

But, emotionally, I just feel a sense of relief. I figure our spirit has just had too much - too much demoralization, discouragement. I also believe that we are energetic beings - that we transmit and receive energy from each other when we interact. Surrounding ourselves with folks that abuse alcohol and drugs means that we've not only jumbled our own energy channels, but we're receiving dissonant signals from those around us.

I felt (and still feel) peaceful and relieved in early recovery. I just wanted to curl up with a book in front of the fire. My primary conflict right now is that having to work is interfering with all that sweet, mellow, sober time spent doing "healthy" things...I'm tying to integrate it, but it still isn't as gentle an environment as my home is.

So, yes, it is sort of a "welcome home" feeling. I've heard it referred to as a pink cloud, but I'm present in my difficulties as well, and that makes it sound unrealistic and unsustainable. I prefer to think of it as just a pervasive sense of relief and being centered, and hope that I can sustain it all the way through.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well. I didn't experience the 'pink cloud' feeling because I had a lot of messes to clear up in my life, so I kind of had the 'slow and steady' approach.

I'm glad you're feeling good.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Getting through a week is awesome! Well done!

I very much respect your recognition of the potential temporary nature of euphoric feelings. I wish you all the best in finding positives in your sobriety that may not be as immediately emotional, but more long lasting.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a week! I'm nearing the end of my second month, and I can relate to the feelings of euphoria. There are ups and downs, but all the positive emotions are really coming out in a way I hadn't felt for a while. I find myself really laughing and dancing around my apartment listening to music. It's wonderful and worth the down spells.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

THANK YOU everyone yes, less detoxing and spiritual cleansing, that makes sense. How wonderful that it is called a pink cloud. I will fully enjoy it as long as it lasts.

so glad I found this place.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes its normal for a lot of folks.

Make the most of it.

Write lots of lists if you have lots in your head.

Even a simple to do list will work wonders.

Once my brain sees stuff written down, it's like it goes "Oh well, look he's written it down now, guess I can shut up for a bit"

Well done on 7 days... A week.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anna's right...it's called "the pink cloud", and many experience it. Enjoy!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

First of all, congrats on getting through your first week!

I concur with what's already been said about the 'pink cloud' stage. It's a wonderful feeling. *However*, be really careful and do not let your guard down just because you feel better. That's exactly what ruined two of my earlier attempts at sobriety - I figured, "I feel great! Why do I need a plan anymore?" Then I tried to drink again...and it did not go well.

Still, enjoy the feeling, but stick to whatever plan you have for yourself! Good luck!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it's normal to feel euphoric after getting sober. Beware tho, cause the pink cloud doesn't last long. Enjoy it while you can!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 5KRunner View Post
*However*, be really careful and do not let your guard down just because you feel better. That's exactly what ruined two of my earlier attempts at sobriety - I figured, "I feel great! Why do I need a plan anymore?" Then I tried to drink again...and it did not go well.
This cannot be stressed enough. I've slipped/lapsed back into drinking a few times because of this. Thanks for posting it. Reinforces in my mind what WILL happen if i drink again.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Three months sober and I started farting rainbows. Seriously, I am noticing how clear and defined and bright everything looks. Its like staring at a super high definition TV.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for advice guys, I will stick to my plan and I will not let my guard down.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Embrace the euphoria! Don't let the fear of not feeling good tomorrow or the next day keep you from enjoying your good feelings today! If those bad feels do come, just take the nessisery actions to get through them, whatever that is for you.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think everyone is different. After a week my mind was clear and I felt great.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had the pink cloud feeling the first time I had a sober stretch. It lasted close to 5 months. But them I also drank again. So, I guess the trick is not to think feeling well, means the same thing as, "this is easy, I got this." For me, anyway!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Enjoy feeling great! But be on guard for your av. You're doing so well, you should be really proud of yourself!
Old 10-17-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 15 here and I had euphoric feelings then last two days been irritable and really tired. Loving t all the same though. Well done you!