SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Strong Will (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/348041-strong-will.html)

Indio2008 10-16-2014 02:29 PM

Strong Will

Okay, I really like going to my AA group, but my so-called sponser told me that we could not meet again until I finish step 3 and start working on step 4. I took a homeless friend that I know has never been to the State Fair of Texas on tuesday(all day and still made it to my AA group that nite) he is one of the few friends that I have that dont drink or drug. We had a great time, but everywhere I looked I saw big signs of Beer, Wine, Margaritas here... It never bothered me and right now I feel like I dont need to work the AA steps!!! Im already reading 3 books now and the big book would make 4 books, Im working, still trying to do my artwork, and I have givin up on dating anyone for now, cause being sober is starting to give me a new outlook on life like finding a partner is not really so important as it was when I was drinking everyday... Does anyone understand???? :headbange

PurpleKnight 10-16-2014 03:03 PM

It's all about remaining Sober, that's the goal, there are many methods out there and everyone uses their own combination of the tools available.

However willpower for me was not enough, simply resisting drinking only lasted for so long, I needed a plan and a method of support to make it work, the danger is leaving yourself with nothing to rely on, so tweak your plan accordingly if giving up the steps is a route you finally decide on!! :)

Dee74 10-16-2014 03:12 PM

How long have you been sober Indio? :)

D

Soberwolf 10-16-2014 03:13 PM

Whatever works for works for you

Sobriety is yours friend

MIRecovery 10-16-2014 03:14 PM

For me there never is and hopefully never will be a day that I don't feel I need to work on my recovery. I am granted a daily reprieve based on my spiritual condition.

Virtually everything is based on my sobriety

sugarbear1 10-16-2014 03:32 PM

I didn't want to look at my behavior, either. Until I had to.

It is up to you whether or not you want to work those steps.

I wish you well on your sober journey!

Anna 10-16-2014 04:11 PM

If you are doing well, then go with it. Bottom line, do whatever it takes to get sober and stay sober. And, I do think balance is very important.

anattaboy 10-16-2014 04:15 PM

Sounds like you are doing it. Congrats!

IOAA2 10-17-2014 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Indio2008 (Post 4959197)
I looked I saw big signs of Beer, Wine, Margaritas here... It never bothered me and right now I feel like I dont need to work the AA steps!!! Im already reading 3 books now and the big book would make 4 books, Does anyone understand???? :headbange

Hi.
Yes, probably most understand as we go through phases during recovery and our personal AV is trying to put us onto a different path.
Personally I don’t have faith that only reading will hold our recovery in place for the majority of alcoholics.
I/we need personal contact by listening to the emotions, strength and hope from others that can identify with each other and learn from the experienced. This is usually against the grain of alcoholics as we have many reasons to be isolated and want to do things our way.
AA has helped millions to not drink by attending meetings and practicing the program of the 12 steps.
Probably the biggest reason for relapses in AA is people for whatever reason stop going to meetings.
I’m grateful I’m not one of them, YET!

BE WELL