Notices

Temptation Season Primer - Weekender Thread Oct 17-19

Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

IN!

But I won't be around much this weekend. Another death in the family, so back to my hometown I go.

Be well all!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yo
Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Holiday Back Up Plan

Yet, ANOTHER reason I love having a lil Camping Trailer. A redundant Kitchen. 1983 design at it's best.

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trailer Kitchen 2_800.JPG (57.0 KB, 62 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Weekenders!

I am in.

I hope my temptation season won't be much a burden to me.

And I'll be busy - job hunting, lots of boxing, apartment design should be done ASAP since my apartment is ready!

Ken - Love the Pear Tree Drink! Thank for the idea.

Have a great sober weekend, all)
Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fandy,I've had to up the cost of the kitchen redo to reflect the cost of eating out.

Non, sorry about the death in your family. Safe journey to you.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just had email from Weasel....he is locked out of SR with the password problem.

I am going to post it in the technical issues
Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am in!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey gang, looking forward to learn from others on how to best plan for temptation season. And again, I am thankful to all for this weekend thread, helps so much.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you thank you thank you!!! The count down of 77 days till it is over is a definite game changer for me. I was dreading the holidays - now I am excited to say that I will have been sober for 95 days on Jan 2nd
Happy start of the weekender thread!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I've been gone the last few weekends due to work and play, but they've been spent sober! I've missed y'all, stoked to hop on the bus!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

After two weeks away and spending a great deal of my time working I am feeling beat.
I still have a ton to do here at home. This morning I replaced filter on heating system and got the pilot working. Complaints from someone about the heater not working...

Hope everyone is ready for the weekend and can pick up some learnings as we head into the celebration season. This will be my first. But having made it through lastnchristmas though still in shock I can only say keep your goal in the forefront. I celebrated new year's eve in a rehab facility. Hopefully noone reading this has to worry about that. Stay strong and maintain your commitment to sobriety.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Gilmer, I hope your in laws aren't pushy about the wine.
No. They judged me for being excessive with their booze!
Old 10-16-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Brain, welcome back home even though it doesn't sound like you will be getting much rest in the chores department.

Weasel, if you're out there, I hope your password issues are quickly resolved. I can't imagine the feeling of "so close, yet so far away" attached to being able to read the thread but not post anything.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

What is this thread without Weasel, after all?
Old 10-16-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Posting from work quickly to say that I'm in like Flynn...or should I say Finn! That's the name of the new dog I adopted this week from a shelter. I'll post a picture for all of you but let's just say he looks a lot like my dear Charlee and as soon as I saw him, I knew he was sent to be with me. He's just wonderful. I can't replace Charlee but since he's gone, I reckon the best thing I could do is save another dog from a kill shelter and also help to mend my heart.

When I stopped drinking this year, I bought a book called "Zero Proof Cocktails" and it has proven to be a wonderful source of non-alcoholic drinks. I know for some, just having something close to a favorite cocktail can be a trigger so I hope it's okay to post this. The same author has a book called "Sober Kitchen" which I may get before the holidays.

Time to go home to Finn...
Old 10-16-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am having my community group over to my house tonight. We are going to split up into males and females. I will be leading the ladies in a discussion of how to be a better wife and to be content in our own circumstances instead of daydreaming futilely of what's over the horizon.

On Saturday I am hosting a brunch for about 30 ladies. I won't be leading anything; just hosting. I am depending on others to bring the serving dishes; I've got hardly anything nice, and much of what I do have doesn't match (attrition from five kids and numerous events).

Sunday will be nap city!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Gilmer, that does not sound like a relaxing weekend but sometimes that lends spice to the pot. Hopefully you have a working dishwasher. And as to serving dishes - I've seen so many magazine articles talking about the mix and match serving pieces for get togethers that I say, it doesn't matter.

Charlee, yay on Finn! I'm so glad you found a good dog. Every time I hear the name "Finn" lately I think of the cartoon "Adventure Time."

I am off to pay for my car repairs. Not the newish car but the old one. Power steering went out but it wasn't too bad a fix. Mr. Ruby has been without wheels today. Talk to you all later.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ha, ha--yes, I am grateful to have a working diswasher.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am in!!

I love the weekend thread! I was refreshing the page all day while writing my essay but then I had to head out to a meeting.

It's my birthday on Saturday...I will be 34. I am planning a Feast Day of eating - my dad is treating me to dinner out and we'll go for a walk in the countryside. On Sunday we usually have lunch at my Grans, so I asked her if I could make it a party? She said "a small, quiet party"

I was thinking back to our family Christmas party a few years ago, the year Obama came to Ireland for the first time. When I give presents, I usually give a nice present and a small jokey present. I gave my mom a copy of this song and we put it on very loud. My brother went back to his apartment to get a second roasting tray for the pasrnips, and when he returned he said "Good God, I could hear you guys all the way down the street"

Anyway I can't get this song out of my head now:

I'm in the party mood now

I hope you all have a nice weekend!!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Count me in Weekenders!!

Thanksgiving has always fascinated me, we don't really have an equivalent here in Ireland, so I guess in a good way the festive season is delayed to kicking off well into December.

I went and did the whole tourist thing in Plymouth MA many years back, there was a cool graveyard from memory, where the Mayflower passengers were buried that I wandered around, and there was this lady in a coffee shop with the strongest New York accent I'd ever heard up until that point, and she listed the longest list I'd ever heard on how I could have my eggs cooked, a full on culture experience!!

Having a quiet one this weekend, working Sat morning, but then no ice hockey games, though plenty of housework to catch up on, but there'll be some time for relaxing too.

Let's keep it Sober!!