Notices

Healthy ways to celebrate

Old 10-16-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Healthy ways to celebrate

So I ended up drinking again last night after my doctor's appt. that I was scared to go to (I have white coat hypertension and I have been dreading going to the appt. for months) and I am sorry I did. Not that I feel that bad today, but I can honestly say that drinking just doesn't "do it" for me anymore.

I realize the reason I drank is because I wanted a way of celebrating getting through the appt., but I don't know of very many things to do that would make me feel good I guess.

The only thing I could think of this morning that would have been something different and fun was I could have rented a movie. I also thought yesterday about mowing the lawn????

Perhaps I am just a dull person, sometimes I think so, that I cannot come up with healthy ways of celebrating something besides either drinking or renting a movie. There must be some other ideas out there.

I am open for suggestions. What would be a fun way of celebrating something instead of drinking?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Celebration was probably one of your "go to" excuses to drink. Not everything needs to be celebrated.

Certainly not going to the doctors.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Celebration was probably one of your "go to" excuses to drink. Not everything needs to be celebrated.
Very common to want to celebrate a release of tension by drinking, as Carl has pointed out. I substituted juice from a fresh juice shop, or bought something nice to eat. The point is you have to think of ways to deal with it in advance, and get to them asap.

If you can use your substitute right away you probably won't have the urge to drink at all.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living Sober

What would be a fun way of celebrating something instead of drinking?
I still struggle with the same problem myself. I was all about having drinks to celebrate, and now that I stopped drinking, I'm left wondering the same thing.

As corny as it sounds, I have found a replacement, which is having a very delicious smoothie on an outside patio of a local joint near me. It's not the same I know, but it does seem to fill a void.

I mentioned this a lot in my posts, but I'm a big believer in reinventing yourself. I would have laughed had I been invited out for a smoothie not too long ago, and now I look forward to it. I also know that should I decide to have a drink again, the disappointment that I would feet about myself would ruin the night anyhow.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Cecila i hope this helps

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 10-16-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

FeelingGreat, good point. Yes, I should have thought of something before hand and I didn't. That's good advice. Next time, I will try to come up with something I enjoy and have it planned in advance, because truth be told, I didn't have anything planned.

Could still use some more ideas of fun things. I thought it was kind of sad and pathetic that the only thing I thought of yesterday was mowing my lawn. Good grief.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, mowing your lawn is just a terrible idea! Here are some of mine:

Have you gotten a gel/shellac manicure? Life changing.

Can you go to a movie? If I had some free time, I would take myself to see "Gone Girl" and order a large popcorn. If you haven't read the book yet, it's a fast, escapist read. Do it!

Start watching a Netflix series: Breaking Bad is on there (although it's about meth, so maybe not); Orange is the New Black is good; Homeland is my FAVORITE!

Take a hot bath with epsom salts while drinking lemon water (detox)

Buy something with your booze money: an iPad, a new pet, a cashmere throw, anything!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Food food food. What's your favorite. Go get a blizzard from DQ or an ice cream treat.

Order takeout and relax with a movie.

Food.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How about going for a simple walk to mark and observe and celebrate whatever occasion or event by communing with nature?

What about an "honoring ceremony" where you invite a few close friends to share in your joy over an event. Bring them together and ask that they simply be present with you as you share your feelings of happiness from the heart. Offer that they may come with something to celebrate in their own lives. Share tea and play some soft instrumental music and create a sacred space. Sharing our truth, from the heart, with people who are important to us, is one of the simplest and most powerful ancient traditions. We've lost touch with it as a people. Yet it is honestly one of the very best ways to celebrate.

Go to a lake and throw 'celebration stones' into it. Pick up stones that are attractive to you... hold them... look at them deeply... feel them completely.... allow your gratitude for whatever thing arises to sink into them, then joyfully toss them as far into the lake as you can with a big primal whooooooopeeeeeee!!!! EXPRESS YOUR JOY.

Go for a run and think about your gratitude and happiness for the event you want to celebrate. Shout it out at random intervals. When a thought like "THIS IS SO FANTASTIC!!" arises, holler it to the wind!!!

You see.... we've totally perverted the idea of celebration. We've turned it into something that we should use as a ritual of abuse (of our bodies) instead of a ritual of joy. CELEBRATION is meant to allow our emotions and our bliss and our joy to come forth and be seen. It is meant to be a place to recieve the joy and gratitude of others. It is meant to be an expression of our hearts - not an occasion to get loaded and make ourselves ill.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I thought that too Free Owl, that when I drink I am just abusing myself and making myself sick and THIS is the way I want to celebrate? Seemed @ss backwards really.

But I did it because I am used to it and couldn't think of anything else better. But being mean to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

I appreciate all your posts. Next time I will have a plan in mind.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Us alcoholics dont know how to enjoy success or prosperity without drowning their benefits in poison. It's one step forward and 10 back. A crippling self fulfilling prophecy that returns us back to start each time it plays out. Hard day of work, "yeah job well done - lets drink", weekend, "what everyone does on the weekends - lets drink", new job, "congrats to me - lets drink", got a new pc game, "who plays games sober? - lets drink".

If i had to schedule a job interview, i would always do it 4 or 5 days after the initial call so i could enjoy the build up to it and drink everyday leading up to it, as a reward or excuse to get loaded. I would go to it and on the way home, you guessed it, would stop at the booze store to celebrate. Not even sure what i was celebrating, doing something that normal non drunks do.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A big bag of doritos and diet root beer reading a mag is my favourite way of unwinding.

Go for a walk - find a park, and I dare you to swing. Go ahead...swing and giggle. Remember the care free days of childhood ( or not, depending on y our childhood...) either way - try it!

How about joining a gym?
Even a walking group?
Go shopping.
Window shop if you don't have a lot of $$
Try on some clothes.
Volunteer at a pet shelter.
Write a letter to someone you haven't reached out to in awhile.
Go to a local community center and watch some figure skating...kids playing hockey...learning to skate...
Take a course. I want to learn flower design, so I need to take my own advice!

Good luck anything but having that first drink !