Notices

New beginning

Old 10-15-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb New beginning

New to the site, so I hope I don't break any of the rules. While I have a genetic disposition to alcoholism, I self diagnosed my problem as one of craving and satiation. AA 12 step did not seem the answer for me. Social groups are not my think. Call it what you will, I did not think AA would work for me. To Quote..?... "If you believe you can or believe you can't. Either way you are right." So I went looking at alternatives to 12 step programs. I either read, or selectively read, information that confirmed my thinking. I looked for a program, but could not afford to enroll. The cravings continued. To make a long story short, my partner had enough and left. I became depressed and went to my Dr. for an antidepressant...to make me feel "well." To my astonishment, it had an AMAZING EFFECT. At first it satisfied my "satiation" problem.. only 2 instead of 5 glasses of wine. And then my cravings stopped. Stopped. It has been over two weeks, plenty of temptations, and my new life has begun. I no longer want to drink or am compelled to buy the wine. I attribute the change in my thinking to the Universe and to the RX. I held my breath to see if it will continue. Another friend of mine, who is not an alcoholic, was only on the same anti depressant for 6 months and reported the same finding. (She lost some weight and her depression lifted). I only wish I had this information before... it would have changed my life. Hope I did not offend anyone. I know the agony I went through. I wish the "industry" put money into research for a cure, rather than TV adds for 50K 30 day "patient care!!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you trying to advertise something?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
If it works for you, it works. And I'm glad what you're doing is working. Just remember, you never have to take another drink.
Glad to have you here and best to you.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 10-15-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

Different solutions to the same problem work for different people, great it's brought you some peace in life!!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Low

I wouldn't take too much stock in the anti depressant permanently removing the cravings....if that was true there would be "your cure" you mentioned. We are only talking 2 weeks here.... Not trying to be negative, but If your goal is to stay sober, please get yourself a "PLAN B" for when the craving hits hard, as it will..... Good luck!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Ghostlight1;4956775]Hello and welcome.
If it works for you, it works. And I'm glad what you're doing is working. Just remember, you never have to take another drink.
[QUOTE]

EVEN IF YOU WANT TO!

BE WELL
Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not advertising anything! Just passing along a "side effect" of a drug that has helped me. I don't think it is news to the industry. When I told my Psych. he said "it sometimes has that affect." Believe in conspiracies? I was going to try anything. Including spending half my savings, to achieve this effect. Take it for what it is. The Universe and the RX gave me peace of mind.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi keyholes

Welcome to SR
Old 10-20-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad it's working for you so far but I'd heed Low's advice and have a Plan B. I've been on psych meds including antidepressants on and off since 1992, and never experienced any of them to be a "magic pill" as far as my drinking went.

Welcome to SR and hope you stay sober!