Notices

Recovery tattoo ideas?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I've been thinking for a long time about getting a vine of morning glories on my back to represent appreciating the beautiful things I have while I have them. Morning glories are gorgeous but bloom very briefly, so they are often used to symbolize mortality. For me it's largely about people I've lost, but it's also about being present in my life and enjoying the moment. So it's related to sobriety in that respect.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

50 days

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
Whohoo! I'm 50 days today! Yes - so - recovery tattoos.

I've got a few so far, that aren't blatantly related to my recovery but are somewhat related.

"It's never too late to be, what you might have been" on my torso.

"Live with no excuses, love with no regrets" across my shoulders

A treble clef with a cross built in on the back of my arm (music/spirituality play a huge part in my recovery).

I'm thinking of getting "serenity, courage, wisdom" or "every step counts" on my feet.

Also maybe "that which does not kill me, only makes me stronger" somewhere.

Also a pheonix somewhere on my body to represent re-birth, being reborn through sobriety.

Do you guys have any recovery tattoos or tattoo ideas you'd like to share??
Great job on 50 days. I am right behind u with 47! Life is so different and exciting again. On tattoos I'm trying to find ideas. I like your every step counts. That's cool.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
zjw

I got my sobriety date in Roman numerals. Also a zen symbol and "be present". These all serve as constant reminders to me.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
quat

I got mine on my first anniversary, it's my avatar pic. It's an ambigram of the word "sufficit".
It reminds me I've had enough, my family and loved ones are enough and I don't want to lose them , and that sometimes enough may not be enough a little positive motto
Thinking about adding some color to it this year.
This thread is a year old, would the OP like to give an update, the ideas sounding pretty good
Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have a phoenix on my back (not recovery related, just feel like I've been reborn so many times through other issues).

Last December, when I started getting serious about quitting drinking, I got an hourglass on my left wrist. Nietzsche has a theory of eternal recurrence. Make every day a day you would want to live again and again. My drunk days were not like that, so I like the idea of making each day count.

I have a lot of other tattoos too, most of them celebrate my drinking days I guess. Like a star on my thumb that I got on Walk of Fame after a legendary night out... Oh well...

Last edited by StellaPolaris; 08-17-2015 at 02:17 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had been planning a new one before quitting drinking. I had already just had a major upheaval in my life. I already have a phoenix but not in colour it is a black line drawing that blends with the generally tribal but soft curvy lines ones I already have. I drew that and my guiding star. I put my guiding star to remind me to be true to myself on my lower back so no wonder I kept forgetting its message . I can't see the darn thing. The phoenix goes up one side of my ribcage. My other little ones aren't quite so deep but have specific memories. When I first left the ex I was drifting towards a dandelion. They kind of represent so much. Childhood wishes blowing off the seeds, a certain freedom and new life symbolized in the seeds floating off. So in some ways representing dreams. That Dandelions have such strong roots and can grow and thrive almost anywhere. I have already had a rather crazy twisty turny journey since that moment and walking out that door. Not sure what I will go for but I think the perfect idea will come to me, it will probably include a dandelion.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have a dandelion too. It reminds me that life and everything in it is pretty fleeting. My tattoos are almost all souvenirs, I got most while travelling, which I tend to do when I need a reboot.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have the serenity prayer across my upper back