Notices

Gonna Give it Another Try

Old 10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
i recomend the tao of pooh
Hmmm thanks. My wife has a copy on the shelf, in fact. I'll give it a look.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by poorlouis View Post
...but when I am off the booze, aside from our playing music together once a week, I'd probably never see him. And he lives half a block away.
Sobriety often requires massive change. For the time being, things with your brother, maybe even the band, will have to change.

Ask you wife what changes you should make. I bet she'll provide some insight.

Once you get some sobriety under your belt, you should be able to be around a drinking brother, but if the past shows anything, five weeks wasn't enough time.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Sobriety often requires massive change. For the time being, things with your brother, maybe even the band, will have to change.

Ask you wife what changes you should make. I bet she'll provide some insight.

Once you get some sobriety under your belt, you should be able to be around a drinking brother, but if the past shows anything, five weeks wasn't enough time.

Good luck.
I do appreciate that. And I get what you're saying. But I've played music for 25 years, and this is by far the best band I have been in. There's no way I'm giving it up. I actually didn't find it that hard not to drink during band practice because I was busy. It was actually while I was bored and at home alone that I really craved a drink. For me, now, I think the real test will be finishing a stressful week of work and finding ways to relax and de-stress without alcohol!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can relate poorlouis. I'm in a band too. Have been for over twenty years. Also with my brother at times. The no drinking thing can be done! Used to feel that a couple drinks would get me in the groove. Now it just makes me sloppy. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by poorlouis View Post
I do appreciate that. And I get what you're saying. But I've played music for 25 years, and this is by far the best band I have been in. There's no way I'm giving it up. I actually didn't find it that hard not to drink during band practice because I was busy. It was actually while I was bored and at home alone that I really craved a drink. For me, now, I think the real test will be finishing a stressful week of work and finding ways to relax and de-stress without alcohol!
If you're going to continue in the band you'll need iron clad boundaries.

I was in some great bands too - it really hurts to be sacked for drunkenness.

D