Notices

Keeping a sponsor

Old 10-12-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keeping a sponsor

I have just over 60 days sobriety and have a question about keeping a sponsor.

I discovered that the person I asked to sponsor me has at least 4 other sponsees with less than 60 days sobriety. He's working actively with at least 4 others with longer periods of sobriety from 5 mos to 3 years. He started a meeting, which is not listed in the local meeting list. The last time I attended the room had 12 people, half of which were his own sponsees. And a sponsee of his sponsee. He's having trouble paying the rent on the room and asking for more than the standard $1 in the basket. I think he expected to fill a big room because of the great knowledge he has about the Big Book and that everyone would flock to hear him talk.

It occurred to me he was actively collecting sponsees as he believes they keep him sober. I began having trouble with him keeping a time to meet, and cutting short the time we had previously designated.

Is it wrong to want a different sponsor so early in recovery? Should I just tough it out, even though I don't feel this person can be very helpful to me?
Old 10-12-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's your choice and whoever you feel is or is not helpful for your sobriety is your decision.

I would pray about it and then if you decide to leave him, simply thank him for his help and move on.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like he is spread too thin. I wouldn't choose that. I've known one other person who did this and it was more an ego trip for themselves than helping the sponsee.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Scorchinscotty View Post
I have just over 60 days sobriety and have a question about keeping a sponsor.

I discovered that the person I asked to sponsor me has at least 4 other sponsees with less than 60 days sobriety. He's working actively with at least 4 others with longer periods of sobriety from 5 mos to 3 years. He started a meeting, which is not listed in the local meeting list. The last time I attended the room had 12 people, half of which were his own sponsees. And a sponsee of his sponsee. He's having trouble paying the rent on the room and asking for more than the standard $1 in the basket. I think he expected to fill a big room because of the great knowledge he has about the Big Book and that everyone would flock to hear him talk.

It occurred to me he was actively collecting sponsees as he believes they keep him sober. I began having trouble with him keeping a time to meet, and cutting short the time we had previously designated.

Is it wrong to want a different sponsor so early in recovery? Should I just tough it out, even though I don't feel this person can be very helpful to me?
Good questions! Had many myself, and occasionally still do.
This is a link from SR forum posted by CarolD of SR. This is an AA pamphlet with info regarding sponsors/sponsorship.

Alcoholics Anonymous : Questions and Answers on Sponsorship

Maybe this will help!

Fly
Old 10-12-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One of my primary qualifications for a sponsor is that they have time for me. Nothing against your current sponsor but only one person can do so much.

There is nothing wrong with looking for someone that has more time
Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

...sounds like he may be in it for monetary reasons....

Go with your gut on this one.

Bunnez
Old 10-12-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 60 days
Old 10-12-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time Scotty. Welcome to SR

D