Notices

Date!! - First time Sober

Old 10-11-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Date!! - First time Sober

So tomorrow (Sunday Evening) - I have a "date"! It has been a WHILE and the first time for a first date where I won't be drinking. Totally sad, I know. But I've always approached first dates with some liquid courage.

The way it worked out is actually quite interesting, b/c he suggested meeting up at a Tea House when he gets off work (in the medical field so he'll be working tomorrow). I love this idea, but I just think its funny that he came up with it w/o me ever mentioning that I wasn't drinking. I figured if he DID suggest meeting up at a bar, I would just have club soda so this is perfect. BUT I'm still super nervous...I have no idea how I will do this w/o being buzzed.

The other wrench in the sceanario is that...I was in a car accident a week ago (not drinking related, just a freak thing), and am still a bit bruised up on my face. But I've been communicating with this guy for a few weeks and its never worked out to meet up, so I finally just decided to go for it and told him about the accident and to expect that I'll be a little black and blue but I feel perfectly fine.

Man, I'm so nervous I'm actually having trouble getting to bed (hence the midnight SR posts...). EEEK!!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oooooh! How exciting! Just be yourself and it will all unfold. And don't forget to have fun!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

Ya know, now that you mention it... I don't think I've ever been on a date sober... My goodness! Anyway, congrats! That's really exciting and I'm sure you'll have a great time. They say everything happens for a reason... The fact he picked a Tea House is awesome! & I wouldn't worry much about the bruising from the accident. All that matters is that you guys are finally able to get together! If he's any good he won't judge you based on an accident anyway. Enjoy yourself and have fun!

-B

Originally Posted by Lola23 View Post
So tomorrow (Sunday Evening) - I have a "date"! It has been a WHILE and the first time for a first date where I won't be drinking. Totally sad, I know. But I've always approached first dates with some liquid courage.

The way it worked out is actually quite interesting, b/c he suggested meeting up at a Tea House when he gets off work (in the medical field so he'll be working tomorrow). I love this idea, but I just think its funny that he came up with it w/o me ever mentioning that I wasn't drinking. I figured if he DID suggest meeting up at a bar, I would just have club soda so this is perfect. BUT I'm still super nervous...I have no idea how I will do this w/o being buzzed.

The other wrench in the sceanario is that...I was in a car accident a week ago (not drinking related, just a freak thing), and am still a bit bruised up on my face. But I've been communicating with this guy for a few weeks and its never worked out to meet up, so I finally just decided to go for it and told him about the accident and to expect that I'll be a little black and blue but I feel perfectly fine.

Man, I'm so nervous I'm actually having trouble getting to bed (hence the midnight SR posts...). EEEK!!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sober dating is far better, you can really get to know someone. I used to head into dates with good intentions, but the second I had that first glass of wine, I stopped caring about the date and only cared about how much I could drink on the date (without looking out of control), how I could incorporate more drinking into the date, and where I could go drink more after the date. Basically, alcohol ruined my dating. Now dating is actually fun, alcohol never made any date better for anyone, people are just conditioned to believe that
Old 10-11-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope it goes well
Old 10-11-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you have a good time Lola
D
Old 10-11-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck and have an awesome time!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Enjoy yourself, Lola.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck lola
Old 10-12-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have a terrific time!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope it all goes well Lola!!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Just think, Lola: the longer he knows you, the prettier you'll get!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Exciting I have one suggestion; I always give this to anyone about new dates, including myself. If you can do it, try not to meet him with much expectation, especially not towards yourself, that you are supposed to somehow impress him. That is what can cause a lot of anxiety... Just be yourself, bruises and all, go with the flow, see where it takes you both. Have a lovely time!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Exciting I have one suggestion; I always give this to anyone about new dates, including myself. If you can do it, try not to meet him with much expectation, especially not towards yourself, that you are supposed to somehow impress him. That is what can cause a lot of anxiety... Just be yourself, bruises and all, go with the flow, see where it takes you both. Have a lovely time!
Agreed, remember HE needs to impress YOU - let us know how it went?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How exciting! And what great advice on here.
Deep breathes, one foot in front of the other, and enjoy every minute girl!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
All I have is Now

Good luck
Old 10-12-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I'll report back!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey guys, so just a quick update...the date went well! He was very sweet and nice albeit not completely my type. But it was very pleasant I and would be happy to go out with him again if he asked.

We had a lot to talk about and what's interesting is that I didn't feel AS weird as I thought I would going into it sober. At one point, I found myself talking and revealing about myself..and in the past I would have attributed my outgoingness (is that a word? it should be..) to having a few shots. But interestingly...maybe I'm not as reserved as I thought I was? Maybe I'm not as scared as I thought I was?

This was a great insight into myself and I'm glad I went.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Really glad it went well my hubby wasn't really my type either it wasn't love at first sight but we've been together almost 13 years now
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
All I have is Now

Well done!! That's awesome!! What recovery is all about is it not???? Happy for u.