Notices

Longest Stint

Old 10-10-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Longest Stint

Hello all,

Thought I'd post to introduce myself. I'm 29 and I've been drinking regularly for the past 5/6 years. I would usually drink 4 or 5 beers every night or e!very second night. I've never been keen on stronger drinks like wine or spirits but would on rare occasions drink it on top of beer.

I started to think a lot about alcohol and look forward to my beer after 7PM once the kids were in bed. It started to always be on my mind.

I've not drank any alcohol in 3 weeks. I had some cravings 10 to 14 days. After this it was like a switch got pressed. I have absolutely no desire to drink alcohol whatsoever. Very strange to measure I haven't felt like this for years. I can sit with my partner while she has a glass of wine and it doesn't even register with me wanting to drink. This is something I would have thought impossible 3 weeks ago. Is this normal?

I feel amazing not having touched a drop in only 3 weeks.

I honestly don't think I'll have any desire to touch alcohol again. Nor do I want to as I don't want to go back to drinking daily.

Is it normal for it to feel so easy after 3 weeks?

Thanks all.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Blacksnow!!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No such thing as "normal"! If you are feeling good, then that's great and you should definitely embrace it. I can only speak for myself and I know that aside from being addicted, I couldn't stop for anymore than three days. Other people have gone for a month without drinking then when they start again, it's completely out of control.

I think a good place to start would be to start reading about alcoholism, not necessarily AA related, just memoirs and stuff. I find them really inspiring in all areas of my life!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 10-10-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaneLane View Post
Other people have gone for a month without drinking then when they start again, it's completely out of control.
Raises hand! Oh oh pick me!

Seriously that's me. I have had strings of 2 months and 1 month of sober time separately in the past 4 months. Each time I "tried" to drink again things went to HELL and VERY Quickly!

Stay sober. For me my mind wanted to pick right back up at levels from before. My body said otherwise...blackouts and a hospital visit taught me this.

Stay safe.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

yeah, I got the 1-month itch too, I suck to maintain long term sobriety, I keep trying though
Old 10-10-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome blacksnow! You found a good place to share your journey. Congrats on your 3 weeks.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by blacksnow View Post
Is it normal for it to feel so easy after 3 weeks?
In my experience, what you describe is not uncommon.

It's also not uncommon for cravings to return, often seemingly out of nowhere, with all the passion and ferocity of a long-lost relative at the reading of the will.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Chris

I'm glad things are going well - that's great..I hope it continues...but do keep your guard up...

Recovery was not a straight line for me - if it was many more of us would simply get sober and have no need for places like SR.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow! If you could bottle that feeling you'd be rich. Stick with it and cherish it.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations blacksnow! Good work.

I will also say to keep your guard up.

You may not have any desire, but it doesn't necessarily mean it won't happen one day.

Rejoice in what you have accomplished!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Findingtheway View Post
Raises hand! Oh oh pick me!

Seriously that's me. I have had strings of 2 months and 1 month of sober time separately in the past 4 months. Each time I "tried" to drink again things went to HELL and VERY Quickly!

Stay sober. For me my mind wanted to pick right back up at levels from before. My body said otherwise...blackouts and a hospital visit taught me this.

Stay safe.
Thanks for the reminder. John
Old 10-10-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome blacksnow...that's great that you don't have any urge to drink...be prepared for urges to happen though. Sobriety is a life long thing. Just because you have an urge doesn't mean that you ever have to drink. As alcoholics we are powerless over alcohol once we take our first drink. Whatever you do don't have that first drink! You can do this!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

The reason I banged on about not having an urge to drink is because it feels new to me.. Thinking about what I'll have for dinner rather than the beer after is utterly amazing. Sounds silly I know.

Remarkable how the bloatedness goes away so quickly - in feeling and in physical looks.

I gave up smoking February 2013 so share similarities in being cautious not to touch it again.

I'll just keep going day after day!