Notices

My alcohol free vacations

Old 10-10-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
My alcohol free vacations

Hi, all!

Yesterday I came back home from my sober vacations.

Absolutely special, absolutely great.

It's my first alcohol-free vacations since I was a kid.

I am approaching my 2 years sober mark just in a few days - on October 14. And I couldn't wish a better present for myself.

People were enjoying drinks all the way around. Cold beer on the beach. Almost everyone had a bottle of wine or some other drinks at dinner. A couple of time me and my friend (a girl who is a fitness trainer at my gym and doesn't drink either) shared a table with two ladies with whom we arrived together from airport. They always had a couple of glasses of wine or beer at dinner.

None of this triggered me at all. I hadn't had a smallest pinch of thought "I wish I could be a "normal" drinker and could have a glass of wine to have with my delicious dinner.

I can't find enough words to tell what kind of FREEDOM it is!

I've never enjoyed my vacations more and I mean it!

It was not like "I have to restrain myself but it's worth it", or "I wish I could drink in moderation but, oh well, I will regret if I succumb to temptation...". No.

I was just another person this time. I did enjoy every minute of my vacations.

I managed to "switch off" my worries, troublesome thoughts, and anxiety without "wine cure".

Change of scene, fresh air, awesome sea, lots of sunshine, lots of swimming in the open sea (which serves as an active meditation for me), dancing, love jazz music concert, trips to the downtown, coffee and local mint tea in cafes, lots of fun, careless giggling... and no single thoughts about my past wounds, current issues, or future worries..

Sound sleep. No hangover to mess up with a beautiful day.

New friends I met doing sports on vacations. This time I made more friends in the hotel gym and during outdoor activities than while drinking on my previous "wining" vacations.

It was absolutely exact opposite to boring - it was freaking exciting! What is more - I believe everyone around thought we were two craziest gals in the hotel at the time. I won't elaborate on details)))

In addition to "no alco" vacations I also was sticking to my new sugar free (celebrated one year soaking in the beach on October 7), junk food free (will be a year on October 14), flour free (should be about 2 months by now, lost my count) lifestyle.

While we were listening to a live music concert in the hotel lobby, a waiter approached and recognized us, he told "Ok. I remember. No alcohol. No sugar."

Sobriety evoked so much changes in my lifestyle and made me to look so deep inside myself that it required to take apart my life brick by brick, day by day, and completely re-build it.

And I love it that way.

My new motto is "It may be alright to be content with what you have, never with what you are".

My message to all the newcomers - don't be afraid to start your sobriety journey!

When I first logged on SR I was broken, wounded, lost, full of hatred to myself and my life, drastically losing faith in my ability to change my life. Trapped in the past. Haunted by ghosts and false harmful beliefs. No wine on vacations? Come on, you've got to be kidding me!

No kidding. The best vacations I've had.

I've got this shot of beautiful sea and the beach. I hope you'll catch vibes of inner peace and joy I feel now.

I wish I could share it with all of you!

Have a great sober weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Beach.jpg (39.8 KB, 112 views)
Old 10-10-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

this is outstanding!!!

Thank you for the experience, strength and hope!!

Celebrate this wonderful feeling.

And also - keep your guard up.

I'm glad to hear you're in such a balance and positive place in sobriety - yet we still have to stay vigilent lest these 'victories' allow space for our AV to slide in through an opening and take us down.

Just saw it happen to a member of my home group - on a vacation.

anyway - I don't wanna weigh your thread down. This is fantastic and I really appreciate you sharing!!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is an unbelievable view...thank you so much for sharing. I have a nice view from my office window, but nothing like that.

I am still very much in a stage where I cannot IMAGINE a sober vacation. I went to WDW with my husband and kids last year, didn't drink at all, and it was pure misery (despite my smile).
Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is so amazing i turn 15 months on the 14th so i can celebrate with you 2 years is inspiring me greatly

well done
Old 10-10-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad that you had such a great, sober vacation.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow that sounds like so much fun. Can't wait til my first sober vacation. You sound like nothing can stop you in sobriety! Very happy for you.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
this is outstanding!!!

- yet we still have to stay vigilent lest these 'victories' allow space for our AV to slide in through an opening and take us down.

Just saw it happen to a member of my home group - on a vacation.

FreeOwl, thank you for pointing this out - I've missed it in my post.

No way it means that this great feeling of freedom supposes that I can say "I got it under control and can relax". My guard is never off.

The point is that I do enjoy this lifestyle so much that it is not a sacrifice any more. It's a door to new opportunities.

The one thing I don't agree in your post is putting the word victory in commas.

It is a real victory for me. With a capital V)
Old 10-10-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Thank you for this.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

absolutely!! the quote marks didn't mean to imply the victory was any less real.

I have felt that feeling here and there on a few small occasions; business trips surrounded by booze, a dinner out with friends, a holiday occasion with family drinking - and I know how deeply, truly wonderful these victories are.

I only meant to convey that these victories are not ultimate victory. For ME anyway, I cannot allow myself to feel "I have WON!!". I will celebrate each victory, large and small - but I will always remind myself that to keep on having those victories and the beauty in life they come with, I must stay on top of my sobriety.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just took my first in way too many years myself. I actually enjoyed Mexico this time without worrying about sneaking pills in, wds at the end of the trip and every other thing a habit brings. My, my, what a difference.

When I first got to SR, I was 11 days into nasty wds from years of opiates and benzos. Broken down, beat down, tired and desparate. That was almost 15 months ago and things are much different.

I'm glad you got to do that and I wish you many more.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a wonderful and inspiring post! I'm so happy for you!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am currently planning a winter vacation and have been worried that I can't have fun on vacation if I don't drink alcohol. Thanks for showing how completely wrong that is.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What a beautiful, uplifting post, MidnightBlue; your sobercation sounds fantastic. Photo was gorgeous.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing this-very inspiring!! And congrats on the sober vacation!!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Great stuff!

I also got a chuckle because when I first read the subject line I saw "My Free Alcohol Vacations".

I think my AV took over my eyeballs for a minute there.

Congrats on your freedom!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post

I also got a chuckle because when I first read the subject line I saw "My Free Alcohol Vacations".
Old 10-10-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

That is so great. Thank you so much and for sharing the beautiful pic!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looks like a great place for a vacation MB

I'm so glad that it was good for you.
Thanks for a great post too - very inspiring

D
Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just another thank you & congrats.

I've got a vacation coming up next week - first sober one. Ive got my plans in place and my husband & kids' full support. Plus I'm taking all of you along with me. My iPad will be at the ready for daily check-ins on the 24 hr thread as well as the knowledge that support is only a post or PM away.

Thanks for the inspiration.