SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   1 week sober. Starting the AA steps (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/347383-1-week-sober-starting-aa-steps.html)

Findingtheway 10-09-2014 08:01 AM

1 week sober. Starting the AA steps

So i'm back to 1 week sober as of 8 pm tonight. As that's the one week time stamp of my trip to the hospital last Thursday.

I'm continuing on my AA meetings and program of recovery. I've managed to bounce back from last Thursday Physically anyways...Mentally and Emotionally i'm beat down.

But last night at the AA meeting i asked for help. From a friend I've talked to for months. And it was difficult. He's got 24 years sobriety. And i was scared to ask. *How do you work the steps? Because i DON'T KNOW!*

He gave me some pages to read from the big book. Pages 84-88 and told me to read them every night and every morning. And i'm to call him should i need assistance. Any time of day.

We begin working on Step THREE next Monday. It's my first real try and working the steps. I don't know what to expect. But i know it's going to help me.

My old ways worked for a month...or two...But not long term. I've had enough.

I need to be sober now. Just for today.

Good luck to everyone.

FreeOwl 10-09-2014 08:06 AM

right on!!

I was in AA twice before finally actually trying to DO the steps.

After almost 10 months, this morning I finally completed step one. Though I felt I'd "done" it before many times.... this was really the first. It was a process of working on a workbook that an old timer who is helping me through the first 4 steps gave me. The workbook was 27 pages long - but it's taken me all these months and a really long, drawn out process of writing, thinking, reflecting, posting here, going to AA meetings, sharing, talking, thinking, reflecting, writing some more.

Then this morning I spent an hour and a half telling him my stuff.... going over it all. It was really an emotional experience and really a staggering difference between what I've THOUGHT step one was in the past and what step one really was when I put depth and thought and time and commitment and interaction with another alcoholic into it.

On to Step 2.... he gave me another workbook.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Well done... keep at it!!

:c011:

ScottFromWI 10-09-2014 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Findingtheway (Post 4945664)
I don't know what to expect. But i know it's going to help me.

That's all you really need to know - It's very good to hear that you are finding your way.

Soberwolf 10-09-2014 08:23 AM

Good for you & Good luck

Maribell 10-09-2014 08:27 AM

I too tried it my own way,, more than half my life. Never worked ,,this is my first try at AA ,, and so far it is working. The support is tremendous. Good Luck

PurpleKnight 10-09-2014 10:16 AM

1 Week is fantastic!! Keep it going!! :You_Rock_

MavisTheFairy13 10-09-2014 11:17 AM

Sounds like you are doing amazingly! Hope that the AA steps help :)

yeahgr8 10-09-2014 12:11 PM

A word of warning only work the steps of AA if you want to fully recover from alcoholism and booze to not bother you one bit for the rest of your life meaning total freedom to do whatever you want with the remaining years you have on this planet:)