Notices

Drinking dream...what are some of yours?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Drinking dream...what are some of yours?

I had a drinking dream last night..I was wondering when that would come. lol. I was in some street walking at a festival and all these booths were giving away free samples of alcohol. I was trying to avoid it. Found myself at a party where a friend said "if your on clear liquid, beer is clear liquid, here" Which actually did happen to me saturday night and I had told her not to do that again. lol. Then I was eating something BBQ and someone said "you know that sauce has whiskey in it so you just had alcohol, there goes your sobriety. Have a drink!"omg. I woke up mad at myself that I ate BBQ sauce with alcohol in it! I was thinking all that hard work down the drain because someone just had to put whiskey in this sauce! Damn it! lol
Old 10-08-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, that's crazy! I haven't had any drinking dreams yet, at least that I remember. Let's hope you're having these dreams as part of the detox process.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had them...Last one i remember was roaming on a subway in a city i've never been to...Sharing a large bottle of vodka with a blonde haired woman.

*Shudders*...Hadn't thought about it in awhile.

Scary. Very Scary.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Lat time I quit I didn't have any dreams but I read on here how common it was to dream about drinking when you quit. I think I only drank it because of things I have been thinking about. Trying to avoid situations with drinking right now, how mad I was that a so called friend(she is an alcoholic too but says who is she harming? she stays at home most times and just drinks alone..nice)that was pushing beer on me saturday night after I told her I quit and I was at red robbin the other day and wanted this chicken BBQ sandwich but the sauce was made with whiskey so I didnt order it. lol But it was crazy the way I felt when I woke up. And I swear I smelled stale beer too. lol
Old 10-08-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had many different kinds of dreams involving drinking since I sobered; some mildly disturbing, some epic nightmares, some amusing or ridiculous. What I find interesting these days is in the most recent ones, it wasn't me who was drinking or tempted to drink, but other dream characters. And in most of these, "I" wasn't even a very active participant, more an observer, like watching a movie. I have an interest in dreams in general and have ideas about what these ones might "mean" or where they come from..., but let's just say it's good that the "drinkers" are not the "persons" my unconscious mind identifies with in these recent musings. I also like that most of them do not involve experiencing strong emotions, more just observation. It happened that I even recalled more than one such dream per night with waking in between.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just another day...

haennie, how long have you been sober to have the dreams where your just observing?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fiona630 View Post
haennie, how long have you been sober to have the dreams where your just observing?
I'm about 8.5 months sober now and have recalled these in the past ~2 months. This period of time (maybe a little less, closer to now) has also been the best and most peaceful for me so far in sobriety, in various ways. I think there is a connection. I definitely had a turning point around 5-6 months in, when things (my feelings, motivations, thinking, activities, etc) got worse before they got gradually much better. I have no idea how much all this has to do with time intervals relative to my quitting, probably some. I definitely would not expect the same dynamic (not just in dreams but the whole experience) for all of us although there do seem to be similarities based on my reading on SR.

I think at least in part what made this turning point for me was getting to a stage when I really have a grasp on recovery and my perspectives in a "new life". I feel that what shows up in my dreams has followed a similar trend, although of course often it's much more erratic since those are purely the products of my mind. For me these kinds of "observer" dreams have a life long history and I am very familiar with the structure; they are not necessarily "good" dreams and signal mental integrity and growth, but in this case especially the lack of strong emotional content and relative peacefulness is definitely progressive.

Hmm maybe I wrote a bit more than necessary here about analysis when you just asked about time The dream you describe, and your waking reaction to it, suggest that you have an antagonistic attitude towards alcohol and drinking, which is probably good, even if it's fear based, if you are relatively newly sober.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The drinking related dreams are normal in recovery. Mine were both some amusing, bizarre and some more disturbing. An interesting scenario that.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Thank you haennie! I found what you wrote very interesting. I had a dream when I was younger that my boyfriend and his bestfriend were going to die..very vivid dream, there were even smells if that makes sense. I woke up crying from that dream trying to make myself realize it was just a dream. I even told them both about it. A week later they both died in drunk driving motorcycle accident. A week after my 21st birthday. Ever since then I try to pay attention to dreams.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just another day...

omg..what typos I had with my 2nd post...i should have typed dreamt and I typed drank. lmao. gee, whats on my mind? as Dora says...just keep swiming, just keep swimming lol
Old 10-11-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
waking down

I probably had some drinking dreams early on but don't really remember them. Recently, I had a dream where I was at a bar and it was like I forgot I was sober and started drinking a beer. After a couple of swallows I thought, "This tastes like crap; why am I drinking it?" I walked away from it.

True confession: I have A LOT more dreams where I drop acid and fly around concert venues.