Notices

What is inpatient rehab like

Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is inpatient rehab like

Now I am in my very final stages of rehab preparation. I am nervous, scared, anxious about it all. In my head I a picture a very clinical environment where I sit around most of the day, and occasional am made to talk about my problems. Yes, that is a very negative view, I toured a few and not one of them was like that, but where I am going is completely free.

I was worried about being trapped in one, but I am told if I am a voluntary check in, I can be a voluntary check out any time I like. However, given my situation I was told that could end in disaster in court. Why would you voluntarly leave before discharge unless you were going to drink? That is what they told me, sans some crazy life event or a job or something.

Anyways, curious what rehab was like for everyone, despite my negativity here, I honestly believe it will help me. I am just doing what I always do, over thinking things and thinking the worst. I am hoping some of you kind folks could assuage my fears?

Nice as always posting here, have a good day all.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is my belief that no matter what rehab you go to, you will get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck to you!!!! Wishing you the best.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've never done more than the 3 day detox. I've met many over the years in AA who would say their inpatient treatment was beneficial and went on to stay sober. I'd say for you the biggest plus is the monitoring and treatment for your other issues as well--killing two birds with one stone. Relax.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No more overthinking! Put it out of your mind and go with the flow. Like hopeful said, you get out of it what you put into it. Also, not all rehabs are the same so you won't know until you go.

Hang in there! Sending much love and positive thoughts your way.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

TDG. I've been twice. The one's I've been to were voluntary.

No one is forcing you to stay. But i know once i GOT there. I didn't want to leave. It was a relief to be somewhere safe. With people (doctors, staff, and other patients) who knew what a challenge this is.

That being said. They ARE work. You'll be exhausted at the end of the day...If it's anything like the ones i went to. The enforce your sleep patterns, food intake, and exercise...Along with group therapy and all kinds of sessions. Alot of 12 step meetings too.

Go into it with an open mind. It'll help you. It's still a daily struggle for me after 2 trips in 3 years. But i'm MUCH better equipped to fight through each day now.

You'll be OK. It'll seem scary, but you will be OK.

Congratulations for taking the step!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

J i knew you were going to worry and i just want to say this ....Since ive been here you have become someone who i definatly class as a friend

This rehab is going to help you give it everything you can muster from yourself everything you are

Approach it with a clean slate mind no preconceptions

J i will pray for you tonight

you can do this Jeremy !!! your my main man !!!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello

Understandable you're a little freaked out. It's a big deal to go to rehab and leave the world you know for a world that is completely foreign; giving over control of your uncontrollable self for a period of time.

April 28th of this year I entered into my first day of rehab for at least 30 days. They always try to make you stay for the 45 once you get in. I freaked myself out when, after 18 months of sobriety I picked up the old beer again, smoked pot and went a little crazy.

I found this incredible rehab, called, booked myself in and within three days drove myself the 5 hours to get there. I kept wondering what the hell I was doing. Had things gotten this bad really? I was trying to justify it the whole way there.

Once there and after settling in I found I was in the hands of the best people a person could ask for. A holistic system of medical care, psychiatric care, counsellors etc. I worked hard. I jumped into my fears and faced many aspects of myself for the first time. My family came for the family sessions on weekends and we all understood many things about the disease of alcoholism. We were all now equipped to deal with life on life's terms just a little better.

Hope that helps. If you let it be what it is and put yourself in the centre of things you'll find out many things in rehab you would never have found out before. It gives you a really good start at sobriety. It gives you the tools to hopefully stay sober for a lifetime, one day at a time. It gives you the way to deal with your emotional self that for us drinkers/users is a pretty difficult area to face. But facing it with others who have been there, as well as working with experts in the field you'll find yourself settling in quite nicely. You'll make best friends and you'll be proud of your accomplishments - and so will your loved ones. Their support of you will change as they grow to understand what cards their loved one has been dealt.

Good luck and open yourself to this wonderful experience.
Audra
Old 10-08-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
In most rehabs, you'll do a lot more talking than sitting around. Small group therapy, big goups, AA/NA meetings, one on one counseling, lectures, inspirational speakers, etc.

At the rehab I went to, there wasn't much time for just sitting around.

I didn't go to a fancy rehab, but I didn't go to a free one either. But I do regularly bring AA meetings to free rehabs in my city. Honestly, there's not much difference besides maybe the quality of the physical facilities. The care level has always been high. I've been to one free rehab that was way nicer than my rehab. I sat down to start the AA meeting and the chairs were so comfortable. At my rehab, we had these awful metal chairs that hurt after about 15 minutes. We spent on average about 8 hours a day in those chairs. But that was where my butt belonged and I'm grateful for the experience.

Yes, you can always sign yourself out AMA. But AMA means "against medical advice." If you're really trying to get sober and STAY sober, it's advisable to take every bit of advice you can get from the rehab. It could save your life.

I've noticed it's an all to common thing for people (myself included), to be petrified of rehab; mostly of the unknown. But by the end of the stay, most people don't want to leave. I cried on the way there, but I also cried when I had to leave. It was a safe environment and returning to the real world seemed overwhelming. But because I put a lot of work and effort into my treatment, they had prepared me well for an amazing, sober life.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I went 10 days detox/psych ward, then 28 days in-patient. The first 10 days were involuntary, but I could have left during the 28 day stint. Why would I though? For the first time in a very long time my family felt I was somewhere safe where I was not a threat to myself or anyone else. I decided I could certainly get over myself and my own wants for a change and stick it out for their sake. I owed them that much.

The rehab I went to had classes scheduled from morning til night. Some of it was 12 step focused, while much of it was not. I found it helpful to completely fall off the grid and have zero responsibilities for a short period in order to get myself together.

I have honored my loved ones by using what I learned and keeping my promises. You can too.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I concur with all the other posts. I have attended a 28-day rehab about 8 yrs ago. It was the one of the best decisions I ever made. Yes, I was a little scared at first, but that didn't last long. Once you get into a routine, the time goes very fast. I learned a lot and made friends I still rely on for support. Go in with an open mind and soak up all info. available.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I did 35 days in-patient. I actually enjoyed it. The addictions program had about 200 people total at any given time from all walks of life. My group in particular had a college professor, business executive, a doctor, police officer, fire-fighter, nurses, and teachers. Going in, I thought I would be with other destitute alcoholics, the sleeping under the bridge kind. Far from it.

There were daily classes and group sessions. Physical activities like tennis, bowling, volleyball, and baseball. Meals were not bad and at night we watched movies.

It was almost like summer camp, but with serious moments of course.

I think you made a wise choice TDG and I am sure you will come out a better man.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went a year ago. It was good. I could check out anytime but then the time I spent there would not be covered by my insurance. But I didn't want to leave.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Jeremy.

Regardless of what inpatient treatment is like, I'd rather address the fact that you emphasized in your comments the potential consequences were you to leave prematurely. I can't help but think that the warnings you got from the staff were prompted by something you said, the way you said it, or something else they observed in you while giving you the tour. I do hope that you don't concentrate your efforts on looking for or manufacturing reasons to leave once you get there. When reality doesn't match our desires, we tend to look for or concoct evidence that reality is "wrong." As I and many others here have amply demonstrated, we are often experts at sabotaging our own success.

You've put off or shelved participating in treatment several times since I've known you, and there always seems to be a good reason for you not to get help. The consequences of your choices have only gotten dramatically worse since then. The only thing left for you to lose by starting and then finishing treatment is additional heartache. Resistance is pain. The sooner you accept your current circumstances, the more likely you are to make progress in the long run.

Your OP and your comments on other threads you've started since you've been mandated to treatment seem to indicate that you've yet to fully give yourself over to the reality that you must do certain things to the satisfaction of the court system in order to get your family and your life back together, even when things don't go your way or when the process seems unfair. Or when you just don't want to do what they tell you to do. There are many things in life I'd rather not have done, but had I actively rebelled for any reason, the consequences would only have made things much worse.

No one "likes" going to rehab; liking rehab is not the point. Some high-priced rehabs may offer brochures featuring their programs and facilities, but you won't see them lying among leaflets from Cabo, Paris, London or the Canary Islands. Whatever else happens there, you go and then you stay until they tell you that you're finished. And, as per your comment, you don't wait around until you're "made to talk" about your problems; not if you're interested in making progress.

Another thing that concerns me is that you seem to have set conditions for your leaving early:

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
...I am told if I am a voluntary check in, I can be a voluntary check out any time I like. However, given my situation I was told that could end in disaster in court. Why would you voluntarly leave before discharge unless you were going to drink? That is what they told me, sans some crazy life event or a job or something.
"Or something" can mean anything to anyone, and your focusing on getting a job rather than getting treatment has gotten you into trouble before. Regardless of your financial straits, there is no better time to get the help you so clearly need than right now.