Notices

Abstinence or Reassess Drinking

Old 10-08-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Abstinence or Reassess Drinking

Hi new member. I am from Ireland. I would consider myself a binge type drinker. Wouldnt drink every day but might go on longer drinking sessions for consecutive days. I have realised for a while that I really need to address my attitude towards drinking. I love the social aspect of the pub scene but it is rare that I would go for just one or two. I have done the designated driver thing before too but that I find is very difficult. Particularly if the people around you are drinking. Unfortunately there is very little outside of going to the pub to do in Ireland!!!
Be great the hear your thoughts
Old 10-08-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Trigrecovery

I'm sure you'll hear from some of our Irish members that there is stuff to do outside of the pub - even in Ireland

For me, my relationship with booze was disastrous - I had no off switch once I started, and no amount of re-training or time off drinking could change that.

The only thing that worked for me was abstinence, Trigrecovery
Old 10-08-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Clean And Sober Live — Lifelong Addiction Recovery Through Personal Growth[/url] am scottish with a london accent my bloodline goes straight back to ireland on both sides !

If you think all ireland is about is pubs, you dont know your own country i say that in my shocked voice as Ireland for me is one of the best places i know in this world

Absolutly love ireland dont say it enough

Trig its really nice to meet you here try this

http://www.cleanandsoberlive.com/ess...ean-and-sober/
Old 10-08-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I owned a house on the west coast of Ireland until recently......absolutely fantastic Pike fishing. I know what you mean though, in the more rural area's there does seem to be very much a pub culture, work all day pub all night.

Anyway whatever you're looking for you'll find it here.......why not try a 30 days abstinence test and see how you feel then.....if it doesn't bother you then it gives you time to re-assess if it does bother you then you have your answer that it's time for abstinence. ATB
Old 10-08-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you're in Dublin you'll find plenty to do, honestly. Alcohol has this tendency to lie to us and pretend there are no other options. 'World is crazier and more of it than we think', as Louis MacNeice said. Think of something you would like to try - there will be people and clubs out there to help you try it.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know that once I hit my 30 days sober I've never felt better. I am also jealous about the rural area it seems you live in.

Going for a walk, going fishing, hunting etc were some of the most fun things I've ever done. (In rural Missouri though)
Old 10-08-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

For me I really needed to change my perspective on what activities could be done other than going to the pub, my routine, my weekends all revolved around drinking, my social circle all drank, and so it was always going to seem that there was nothing else to do, because I'd done it for so long, and in every town and village in Ireland there are pubs.

But I soon realised that alcohol is not the centre of the universe, even though it may seem like it, but as others have mentioned Ireland has the great outdoors, the things tourists come to see on the "Emerald Isle", rivers to fish, mountains to climb, forests to walk, without a pub in sight, we've also become more and more famous recently for our golf courses!!

The other thing I began to start to notice was the number of coffee shops, I used to only see the pubs, which bars were showing the football? but some coffee shops can be a hive of activity, I was surprised that these places also have "regulars" like pubs, conversation goes on, books/newspapers are read, even chess games can be played, I was amazed at this whole other social meeting place I never considered before.

It all boils down to rediscovering what we're interested in, in hindsight Sobriety showed up how uninteresting my life had become, I had no other interests or activities going on, life revolved around drinking, and that easily convinced me that there was nothing outside of that world I'd created for myself.

We'd be doing Ireland a disservice if all we had to do with our time was drinking!!
Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Trigrecovery,

First of all welcome to SR!! If you're concerned about drinking you've definitely come to the right place. Lots of friendly and non-judgmental advice available here.

As a Scottish guy from Glasgow I can definitely relate and I thought exactly the same as you. After just over a year sober I can confirm there are activities to do outside the pub. I'd just had my blinkers on for a long time! I've also found that most of my friends are happy to do something different (coffee, day trip etc) if I offer an alternative to sitting in the pub.

My mentality about going to the pub changed once I had been sober for a few months. At first when I went I was watching everyone drinking and it got me agitated so I avoided it for a while. This gradually improved with time and I can now go and sit for a couple of hours while people drink and it does not trigger me. It's definitely not my number 1 choice of activity but at least I get to spend time with my friends and catch up with them. Everyone is different in this respect and some people won't go to the pub at all but just wanted to let you know what my experience has been!

All the best
NS
Old 10-08-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Purpleknight - I've climbed Chroagh Patrick on numerous occasions, even ran it once to see if I could, struggled a bit on the last steep phase but was a good experience......and the view is to die for all the small islands over clew bay. Also had several 20+ Pike in Lough Carra and Lough Corrib, also bream fished the shannon.....definitely a lot to Ireland,
Old 10-08-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Trig,

welcome.
Dublin...you could go to Lifering meetings for something to do, and people there could suggest a million other things

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...76943099,d.cGU
Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

When I was drinking, there was never anything else to do, no matter where I was. And where I was most of the time while I was drinking was New York City.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi,

I absolutely believe that environment can have a strong influence on mental illness, including addiction. I also do research on these things as a professional and there is plenty of evidence.

BUT! I lived in quite different environments (cities) while my drinking caused problems. Without getting into details, my alcoholism progressed through my life in three quite different places: London (that I loved), a boring and low stimulation city in Missouri that I won't name (that was by far the most difficult period of my life in many ways), and New York City (that is, objectively, my favorite living environment so far, you can probably see that I am a "big city person"). While it's true that my worst was in the place that I disliked intensely, I drank through all of this.

I find that the environment is helping me now in recovery far more than ever before because I use it and take advantage of it as my focus is no longer on getting drunk and maintaining that self-absorbed lifestyle. While I was drinking, a lot of the time there could have been anything out there, I was uninterested... I think that external influence or not, we must break the cycle of active addiction first in order to get anywhere, even if a poor or non-stimulating environment triggers or contributes to our addiction.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Trig. I'm so glad you came here looking for some answers.

I was a binge drinker many years ago. Once that first drink hit my system there was no way to tell how the evening would end. I might have control, but then again - I might go completely off the rails. I continued tempting fate until I found myself hopelessly dependent on it later in life. I was no longer a binge drinker - I had progressed to 24/7 drinking. So - be careful Trig.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

That is a great website! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ireland is a beautiful country. I would love to visit. Here are a few suggestions:

Hike Ireland

The Emerald Isle has incredible places to hike. One wonderful place to go hiking in Ireland is the Mountains of Mourne, which are considered by many to be the most spectacular mountains in Ireland. The mountain range is located in Northern Ireland in County Down, specifically in South Down. Another great place to go hiking in Ireland is on Rathlin Island, located 6 miles off Ballycastle in Northeast Ireland and 16 miles from the Mull of Kintyre in Scotland.

Shopping in Ireland

One of the city-centered fun things to do in Ireland is shopping, which is phenomenal. From local woolen goods to linens to breathtaking crystal, Ireland shopping opportunities are endless.

For antique lovers, Dublin’s Francis Street is a great destination. Cork City, Castlecomer, Kilkenny, GalwayCity, and Limerick also boast great antique boutiques and stores. If you’re in Ireland in April, definitely head to the Dublin Antiques and Collectables Fair for a great variety of Irish-made objects. Spirited tourists can also bring home bottles of Irish whiskey, Irish Mist, and Bailey’s Irish Cream. Smoked salmon is also a popular purchase, as well as farmhouse cheeses and smoked trout.

Bike Ireland

As any cyclist will happily tell you, Ireland biking is superb. With the country’s flat roads, excellent bike stores, and relatively short routes between villages, cycling in Ireland is a wonderful experience. For biking, the Mourne Mountains, southern Ireland, and many coastal cities are the best places to visit in Ireland. Many ferry companies will transport bicycles for free, and most bus and train companies will welcome your bike aboard for a small free. Airlines will usually accommodate bikes as luggage, provided they are dismantled and boxed.

Golf Ireland

Another fun thing to do in Ireland is to pick up a golf club and head to the nearest golf course. In terms of golf vacations, Ireland is the top of the top. With more than 360 golf courses throughout the country, it is a golfer’s paradise. Some of the best parkland courses are located in southwest Ireland, and the Irish coastal makes for great links golf. Links can also be played in all types of weather, which is great for a notoriously rainy country like Ireland. One great place for golf in Ireland is the Ballybunion Golf Club in County Kerry. This course is one of Ireland’s classic course, and it is probably the best golf in Ireland.

Irish Castles

Besides a plethora of fun things to do in Ireland, there are also fabulous places to visit in Ireland. One of the best places to visit in Ireland is the Blarney Castle, with the famous Blarney Stone. You can also check out any number of the countless Irish Castles around the country, including the magnificent Dublin Castle in the capital city.

Ring of Kerry

The Ring of Kerry is another one of the best places to visit in Ireland. It is one of the most beautiful routes in all of Ireland.

Dublin Zoo

The Dublin Zoo offers more than the typical lions, tigers, and bears. You’ll see unique animals in Ireland like the Galway sheep without any horns. Visit the Dublin Zoo gift shop with a large range of stuffed toy animals in Ireland.

St Patricks Cathedral

St. Patricks Cathedral is a great place to visit while in Dublin. Services are held every day of the year and a beautiful park north of the cathedral is home to statues of prominent Irish writers.