Notices

Hello?

Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello?

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker, having read the forums at times in the past when I have decided to give up drinking. This time I'm taking it seriously and have decided to stop stalking you all, and to join in on these forums.

I'm a classic weekend binge drinker, so "usually" only drink at weekends (and sometimes on Thursdays which is basically little Friday, and sometimes Tuesdays etc.) oh and when I'm on holiday, or it's someones birthday...there's always an excuse for wine o'clock isn't there?

I know I drink too much, and the fun is over. I'm tired of drinking, thinking about drinking, planning to drink, worrying about my health and not having any other real interests in my life anymore. There have been too many hangovers recently. I even missed the end of my own wedding last year due to having too much to drink (but at least I crashed out in my room before anyone noticed how hammered I was). This will be one of the biggest regrets of my life.

I've given up in the past, and usually find it easy to do so as long as there's a deadline. Yes, I know that's a big red flag. The longest period I quit for in the past was 3 months and I felt amazing and was going to continue, but caved to peer pressure at a wedding. I did drink moderately for about another 6-8 months but then the volumes I was drinking started to creep back up. I also did about 8 weeks earlier this year.

I've decided to start by setting myself a goal of going without alcohol for 12 months. It works better for me to set myself a challenge as my stubborn nature makes it less likely that I will fail, rather than just saying I've given up forever which seems more daunting right now. My husband is also taking a break with me.

I'm a Brit currently living in Asia which is a paradise for boozing, but I will soon be relocating to the US where no one knows me, and will have no knowledge of me as a drinker. I hope this will help me to start fresh.

I had my last drink on Friday 3rd October, so only on my 5th day so far but doing well.

I look forward to getting to know you all and to getting continued support from this site to keep me in check. Thanks for reading!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

Welcome! My last drink was on October 4th... I think I'm similar to you in needing a goal. Mine, right now, is just a week. :O

I wish you luck on this journey! I like it here at SR. I think you will too.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Sloth - good to have you here

D
Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!

For me, there is simply today - I will not drink. A month, year or multiples thereof is too daunting for me.

Welcome!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome and I wish each and every one of you success.

I hope my one year goal didn't seem too show offish. I just needed to set myself a long term goal for once rather than repeating the same off/on cycle week after week.

Flynbuy - great avatar! Bill Murray is my spirit animal
Old 10-07-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sloth! I've been a lurker at more than one quitting drinking sites over the years, and I've found even the ... err.. vicarious encouragement, and stories from people who have long-term sobriety absolutely inspiring. I quit on October 5 - last drink was Friday night, and it ended up being a fiasco, which is good! I am brand new here, too, and as much as lurking has been positive, it's probably not nearly as effective as actually jumping in.

My goal is abstinence, forever. But as soon as I even think that, my Addictive Voice freaks out, so in the short term it's "one day at a time". If I can get through tonight, I'm good kind of thing. I'm trying to plan out my evenings in advance though, while at work, as that really really helps.

Nice to meet you, I wish us both luck! Drinking is no way to live, and I'm tired of it and looking forward (insanely forward) to no longer being numbed and anxious.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Maisie, we started the same day!

See I'm too freaked out by thinking about abstinence forever. I'm taking it one day at a time, but somehow my one year goal is less painful than a permanent change. That says a lot about the state of things.

Numb and anxious is a good description of how I feel also. Alcohol just leaves me feeling regretful and disappointed these days.

We can do this!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am a lurker- new member myself too! I'll get to a week then stumble. I keep going though. My first goal right now is 30 days.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on 5 days! You'll find tons of support and great advice here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you MissOverIt and Hayley! I like this place, you people are nice
Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same time and place for me, from one expat in Asia to another. Good luck with the move - make it a fresh start with fresh habits.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Changel, great to meet a fellow expat out in Asia. I find that expat communities over here are full of hardcore drinkers. Part of the reason I was drinking more than ever.

Best of luck to you also. Have you been overseas long? 3 years for me so far.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Sloth,

Welcome to SR.
I did some of my hardest drinking in Korea. Why are there so many heavy drinkers in Asia?
Old 10-08-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I put it down to the warm weather, cheap beer, and it always felt like I was on holiday.

At least it was like that for me until I came crashing back down to reality. That was no holiday.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sloth, I've been in Asia 5 years.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Treerat66 - I love Korea. I assume you were in the South! Yep I think Changel has it nailed - cheap alcohol, good weather, low cost of living.

5 years is a long time! I thought I was doing well at 3. But looks like I'm heading for another 3 years in the US before any thoughts of heading back to the UK.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Sloth!! Great to have you here!!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Purpleknight!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker, having read the forums at times in the past when I have decided to give up drinking. This time I'm taking it seriously and have decided to stop stalking you all, and to join in on these forums.

I'm a classic weekend binge drinker, so "usually" only drink at weekends (and sometimes on Thursdays which is basically little Friday, and sometimes Tuesdays etc.) oh and when I'm on holiday, or it's someones birthday...there's always an excuse for wine o'clock isn't there?

I know I drink too much, and the fun is over. I'm tired of drinking, thinking about drinking, planning to drink, worrying about my health and not having any other real interests in my life anymore. There have been too many hangovers recently. I even missed the end of my own wedding last year due to having too much to drink (but at least I crashed out in my room before anyone noticed how hammered I was). This will be one of the biggest regrets of my life.

I've given up in the past, and usually find it easy to do so as long as there's a deadline. Yes, I know that's a big red flag. The longest period I quit for in the past was 3 months and I felt amazing and was going to continue, but caved to peer pressure at a wedding. I did drink moderately for about another 6-8 months but then the volumes I was drinking started to creep back up. I also did about 8 weeks earlier this year.

I've decided to start by setting myself a goal of going without alcohol for 12 months. It works better for me to set myself a challenge as my stubborn nature makes it less likely that I will fail, rather than just saying I've given up forever which seems more daunting right now. My husband is also taking a break with me.

I'm a Brit currently living in Asia which is a paradise for boozing, but I will soon be relocating to the US where no one knows me, and will have no knowledge of me as a drinker. I hope this will help me to start fresh.

I had my last drink on Friday 3rd October, so only on my 5th day so far but doing well.

I look forward to getting to know you all and to getting continued support from this site to keep me in check. Thanks for reading!
Wonderful! See bolded. Imagine the gift of sobriety. . .no more worrying about this, freeing you up for lots of mental and physical energy to expend elsewhere!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sloth, in the beginning of my sobriety, I just could not take on "forever." I, like you, decided I would do a full year (birthdays, holidays, summer, vacations, etc.) of sobriety to give an honest comparison of sobriety versus the drinking life. I had drunk alcohol for 27 years, so logically, one year was a drop in the bucket. Well, it became pretty obvious after the initial hump of getting through cravings and such that sobriety was the much better path in life and at around 10 months sober for me, it was easy to contemplate "forever", although I am a big believer in just being the best person that I can be one day at a time. I am over a year sober and I have never had more self respect. I wish the best for you on your journey . . . .