Notices

Has the desire and effort to get in shape helped you abstain?

Old 10-07-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has the desire and effort to get in shape helped you abstain?

Hi all!
I'm having a hard time keeping positive about quitting drinking but when I think about having a fitness project I perk up and think about the reward. Has this helped anyone else? If so, can you share your fitness goal and story?
Old 10-07-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it is definitely helpful for me.

My workouts and my results are far better in sobriety. I have always had a focus on fitness and health, but when drinking heavily it really didn't get any result. It just helped stave off a truly terrible descent.

Feeling my body grow stronger, losing weight, gaining muscle, increasing endurance.... all of that builds and grows after several months and helps keep me motivated. "Why would I want to throw away feeling this good physically? I know what drinking will do to my fitness!"

Set goals, use fitness as a new addiction!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fitness goals are very helpful to me. It's interesting how much attention I've paid to outward appearance and yet still abused my body with alcohol. Anyway, several years ago, I did a 90 day fitness boot camp and really liked the physical results and did not drink during the training. Immediately after the camp we met family at beach and I was feeling so confident that I thought I would enjoy a few beers with the guys (only for vacation of course). Now five years later I'm going to revisit a very regimented training program. I've somehow managed to get to the gym regularly for years, but often with a hangover. I am a planner by nature and think that's why a detailed workout regimen may have helped me last time. The BIG difference is now I accept that I am an alcoholic and I can't drink.....ever. I'm one week sober today and will now take care of my inner self too.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've always tried to stay fit too and my job is physical which I love.... unfortunately the years of excess drinking have had their toll on my body and in the last 2 years I've put on 25lbs. Easy to do when you drink 6-8 tall boys a day during the week and twice that all weekend, no matter how much you exercise. One thing I'm looking forward to is getting back into shape! Nothing like a good dose of endorphin's!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great responses, thank you! I can relate! I've always worked out and ran but it seemed more to postpone the physical consequences from my drinking. I'm excited to see what results I'll get from running and strength training 4 days a week sans booze!
Old 10-07-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It worked for me for a while, and then it didn't. I used running and weightlifting in order to stay sober for several months. I eventually did drink again and that is because I didn't make sobriety my #1 priority. I focused on my physique. That's great but when it is the only reason you are sober, I'm afraid that's a setup for disaster at some point. In my case, I got burned out running by entering races too soon, before I was sufficiently prepared. I basically crashed and burned, was in the bed for about two months, depressed at the end of it all.

It was important for me, when I finally got sober again, to focus entirely on sobriety and recovery. At least for the first month, to get a handle on things. I checked myself into a 20 day IOP and completed the program. I didn't worry about my body or exercise during that time. When I was stable, I started moderate exercising again. And that is what I continue to do.

I wanted to share my personal experience because it's common in recovery from an addiction to latch onto an activity, and go near breakneck speed into it, becoming obsessive over it, in order to push down and avoid feelings that need to surface. That was what happened to me.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good point Jennie, I now expect any fitness benefits to be a complement to sobriety and not vice versa. I learned my lesson last time. Sobriety muscles are my top priority.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

It is definitely a primary thing for me. I don't know though if the desire to do so or the "act" of doing so is the most helpful. I would not be sober I doubt if it were not for the positive effects of running and other fitness activities on my mental outlook. That combined with diet are most definitely key for myself.

On the other side it boils down to the fact that I can't be who I want to be, be myself while drinking. Without working on the body and desire to do so, I would not be able to stay sober. It is however all connected, mind, body, and human spirit.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by MissOverIt View Post
Great responses, thank you! I can relate! I've always worked out and ran but it seemed more to postpone the physical consequences from my drinking. I'm excited to see what results I'll get from running and strength training 4 days a week sans booze!
Your going to be amazed at the results im fitting into clothes i havnt worn in ages all my recent clothes are slipping lol

i work out alone have a varied balanced healthy diet

the foods you get away with eating is unreal all in a balanced diet mind lol

nice posts
Old 10-07-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great feedback, thank you. I can see the risk of just exchanging one sole-foucs for another and I don't think that's wise progress either. I think, I meant just creating something to look forward to that would have true mental and physical rewards. I managed to keep most weight off but would like to feel strong again and get a mood boost. It gets hard to be down everyday.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

MissOverIt, oh of course, it's a great thing to focus on as a goal and way of life. I just shared my story to help anyone who might be struggling in the way that I was back then. In order to warn others of unforeseen pitfalls. That's all
Old 10-07-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is definitely a good tool for helping to get sober.

Just don't make it the be all & end all.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yoga!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Now that I'm not a drinker anymore, I have the mind and focus to eat better and make my health a priority. I see this as part of my personal growth, which is only made possible by not drinking. So, the not drinking part really, truly comes first. The rest just follows.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really believe its 90% of the reason I was able to stop painkillers/benzos and stay stopped. Exercise is the best thing you can do to heal up.

1hour weights/ 30 min cardio x5 per week. Low carb, high protein diet.

209lbs to 181 with no muscle loss
Old 10-07-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I gained 50 lbs from drinking everyday and went from being a reasonably attractive person to a red bloated sweaty balloon. Losing weight was absolutely one of my top five reasons for getting sober.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Headed to the gym now! No joke
Old 10-07-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have a good time and enjoy ^^^^^^^
Old 10-07-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'll be running a 50k trail race next fall. There's no way I'd be able to get the training miles in if I was not alcohol free.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

YES! Absolutely, yes!!! Call me vain, but I wouldn't trade my Sober, sexy body for the most earth-shatteringly fantastic drink in the history of alcoholic drinks. I got my body and my passion for fitness back as soon as I got Sober. The hard work is so worth it.

Ahh, Vanity. My favorite sin

Bunnez