Notices

The Big Caffeine Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I agree.... but I have tried cold turkey with caffeine and it is unbearable. The headaches are debilitating. I just can't do it!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I agree.... but I have tried cold turkey with caffeine and it is unbearable. The headaches are debilitating. I just can't do it!
Yeah, the withdrawals are pretty bad!

I would imagine quitting coffee would be even harder since coffee has double the amount of caffeine than tea.

I spent the first few days in my room, away from everyone, just trying to get through each day, on the 3rd day the headaches were gone but the crippling back pain got me! trying again tomorrow!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post
But what I find strange is quitting caffeine for 3 days has lowered my tolerance to caffeine, normally I would find tea relaxing, but now shortly after i drink a cup of tea I feel really anxious, stressed, uneasy, the same effect I used to get with coffee!
I noticed this same thing with tea. Even in green tea I noticed the caffeine in the taste and sensations. This reinforced the idea that this stuff can't be good.

There are also herbal coffees available, you'd have to order online or find a store that sells them. It's commonly called Teeccino. There are tastes I hear that are very similar to coffee but zero caffeine content. Contrary to decaf, which has caffeine and I've decided on absolute abstinence of caffeine.

They should also contain as much of those antioxidants that coffee-promoters often gloat with. There are herbal teas that have at least double the antioxidant content compared to coffee. It's a matter of looking into new alternatives and giving them a try.

I also got spikes of anxiety even from a sip of green tea when I had had a little break from caffeine and then returned to it. Could so clearly feel the caffeine.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I drink several cups of coffee a day. It effects me in a lot of ways that are not healthy, with the worst being after a few cups I get a chest pain in the left side of my chest. I have been to the doctor for this and it appears to be a nerve issue that is irritated by caffeine. One would think that I would stop drinking coffee ? I will admit that I'm a coffee addict.

It also makes me a nervous wreck at times.

4:16 AM and drinking my first cup of the day
will probably have four or five more before the day is over

MM
Old 10-14-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

No luck here in substantial reduction- more like a cup or two less I can handle. It's been the same thing with nicotine for me. I'm having to reduce my nic levels in my e-cig slowly. Down to 16% this week from 20 last week and 24 a month ago. I tried reducing quicker but it did not take. Same for the caffeine I guess. Will have to be a gradual taper.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Well, after two days in a row of half-caff and one americano in the morning, one small coffee late afternoon has accomplished;

Not waking in the am with a headache because of withdrawals kicking in

Better sleep

A noticeable reduction in physical symptoms of 'fight or flight' response

reduced anxiety

An apparent return of indicators of positive hormonal response

I am continuing the taper today but just going to hold the line at where I am. Had one half caff on waking. One Americano a few hours later. Around 5pm will have a small normal coffee so that by 5am I still have levels of caffeine in me that prevent the headache.

Tomorrow I am shooting for reducing another step to just the one americano late morning - eliminating the half-caff on waking, and the late afternoon dose to avoid the am headache.

Then I plan to step it down to the half caff and then hoping I can get to an every-other day or just a normal coffee daily for a bit..... then off it entirely for a detox. My goal is to let my body process ALL the backlogged caffeine and give it some time to return to a 'normal' balance.

I'm hoping then I can re-introduce coffee as an occasional or even few-times-a-week enjoyment versus a daily dependence. But, so far even the reduction is demonstrating subjectively that for me anyway, the levels of caffeine I've kept pumping through my body over the years have thrown it into a state of unhealthy stress and hormonal imbalance.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
I noticed this same thing with tea. Even in green tea I noticed the caffeine in the taste and sensations. This reinforced the idea that this stuff can't be good.

There are also herbal coffees available, you'd have to order online or find a store that sells them. It's commonly called Teeccino. There are tastes I hear that are very similar to coffee but zero caffeine content. Contrary to decaf, which has caffeine and I've decided on absolute abstinence of caffeine.

They should also contain as much of those antioxidants that coffee-promoters often gloat with. There are herbal teas that have at least double the antioxidant content compared to coffee. It's a matter of looking into new alternatives and giving them a try.

I also got spikes of anxiety even from a sip of green tea when I had had a little break from caffeine and then returned to it. Could so clearly feel the caffeine.
Yeah, after only 3 days off caffeine, drinking tea again yesterday felt like drinking caffeine for the the first time, it felt like I had overdosed on caffeine! I could feel the adrenaline flowing through my veins! Also getting to sleep took a lot longer, normally I can drink tea right before bed and have no trouble drifting off to sleep, definitely lower tolerance.

Now at the end of day 1 again cold turkey and luckily no headaches! Maybe only drinking caffeine again yesterday didn't revert my brain back to the "fully addicted state" I was before the 3 days cold turkey, or simple the headaches are lying in wait for me tomorrow! Lol, but it definitely feels easier doing this again second time round.

I haven't tried any coffee substitute's but I have tried rooibus tea or redbush tea years ago, completely caffeine free, an acquired taste, not too bad so I might buy some next time I'm out and about.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

They say that caffeine helps with depression. Sure, alcohol helps with depression, not to mention amphetamines.
They all do this in the same way. The dopamine high. But then... all of these drugs cause depression after the effect wears off and in the long term. Meaning that they're all actually major causes of depression. Why would caffeine be an exception? It clearly works in the same way as these other drugs. It causes depression, this is clinically proven.
So the "help" with depression that often comes up is actually the drug high. And is such a drug safe to use on a regular basis? I wouldn't be so sure about that. Many people self-medicate depression with booze, many more do so with caffeine. It is just a cycle of withdrawals.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

coffee also causes some to become very nervous and anxious
after about three cups I feel it coming on
MM
Old 10-16-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Looking at all the evidence, I truly wonder if there are any real benefits from the long-term consumption of caffeine products?
When it comes to nutrients, caffeine causes them not to absorb as well and can even override this whole absorbtion causing malnutrition and all kinds of losses of minerals.

What's the idea with using caffeine? Is there actually any benefit that is not overrun by caffeine's effects in the long-term. And caffeine use is usually a long-term thing.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm on day 4 of a strict reduced regimen. Yesterday was 1/2 caff Americano on waking. 1 normal strength Americano later in the am. Another 1/3 caff Americano late afternoon.

I woke once briefly at 12:30am but immediately fell asleep again, dreamed a lot (meaning I'm having solid REM again) and actually slept until the alarm, then shut OFF the alarm and slept until the second alarm.

I can't remember the last time that happened.

Anxiety levels are down as well.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Argh....I'm weak! Managed to get to day 3 again, just felt ill I couldn't stand the torture anymore!

With mineral absorption problem I usually wait at least an hour after a meal to drink tea/coffee, give the nutrients a chance to absorb, though it is said tea with its higher amount of tannins is worse than coffee at binding to iron, magnesium, zinc etc, but drinking tea between meals should solve the problem.

For me personally, despite knowing the many downsides of caffeine, its been harder to quit than both nicotine and alcohol. Quitting the alcohol and nicotine habit I simply replaced it with caffeine, from morning til night its the go to drink, water doesn't seem to cut it! I remember reading an article stating coffee and cigarette use are high amoung AA attendees.

If I'm feeling like a glutton for punishment again, next time I'll try and taper!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

ME TOO!!! It's been the hardest substance to quit. Harder than cocaine even.

Harder than any of them to WANT to quit.... perhaps because it is totally socially-acceptable, pervasive and it's ill consequences are not as readily apparent and took a lot longer to manifest over time for me.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I love coffee, but rarely have it now. It was essential when I was always hungover, just to get me through, but I drink more tea now! I love it and must drink more of both!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I've been off caffeine for a little over two weeks now and the first two weeks were really rough, massive tension that is difficult to pinpoint and whatnot. After the two weeks it has been easier and calmer, for now.

I don't know if I personally agree that it's harder than other drugs. The withdrawal is unpleasant, but once you get things going and especially after those 2 first weeks I don't really miss it. The withdrawal that caffeine causes is unique though. It can be really rough, not for everyone though.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Slept through the night without waking up for the first time in forever last night!!!

Dropped to a half caff on waking, an Americano mid morning and a 1/4 caff about 4pm.

Taper is keeping headaches at bay, though this am I have a slight one.

Progress!!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Well, I managed to not drink tea yesterday afternoon but had an energy drink. Still had about a pot of coffee in the mornin but cut my daily caffeine by 30%. Today I'm done at 1 cup less than a pot. Progress, but slow. Am down to 13% nicotine for the e-cig redux too (these two habits kinda go hand-in-hand for me).
Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Personally, I love coffee, but I feel I have to give it up in sobriety. For at least a little while, anyway. Caffeine and sugar are things I have to avoid.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

As I have been reading this thread, I am considering more and more that my caffeine intake may be responsible for the heightened anxiety I been experiencing in sobriety. When I stopped drinking, I found myself drinking a lot of Diet Coke as a kind of replacement for the beer I used to drink nightly. I can easily drink a 2L bottle of Diet Coke in an evening and that is almost every night.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I drink tea and coffee but no sodas and rarely sugar coffee drinks. My main conern is related to sleeping so I try to quit around 1-2pm. I was a coffee junkie once and rarely made time to eat, not good. Plus I take a sinus medication that has a speedy element so trying to keep BP down.