SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   hi I'm new (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/347124-hi-im-new.html)

ddnnhh 10-06-2014 12:18 PM

hi I'm new

Hi I have realized that I have problem. I realized this on Saturday after a full day drinking on Friday I fell and smashed my head open and ended up knocked out in a pool of blood.

I would say I am more of a binge drinker that doesn't know how or when to stop. I often get the urge to drink and have to have one

I think it all started when I was a teenager and my parents divorced, I was drinking before school usually whiskey or gin. I was always known as big Dave the big drinker because I would drink 20 pints plus vodka and I thought it was cool to be a big drinker.

I'm now 31 and still need to drink when I think about having it. I had heart surgery 2 years ago and tried to stop drinking bit failed.

Anyway thats my introduction I now know I have a problem a problem and want to fix it

Climber122 10-06-2014 12:29 PM

Welcome! Well done in taking that first step towards a new life. It's good that you have realized when you think about a drink, you have to get a drink. That seems simple but knowing it all starts with a thought is a pretty important concept to understand. You'll hear this a lot in recovery, but this is what we mean by saying one is "powerless" over alcohol. It doesn't mean we are powerless in all aspects of our lives - just until we have worked a program of recovery, willpower doesn't tend to work for a lot of us in the area of drinking.

In addition to the support here at SR, consider using this momentum you have going to find a local AA meeting, drug and alcohol therapist, or both. It really helps to meet people in person, and a therapist could help design a plan for you to follow. I know how hard it is to imagine making this kind of change in your life, but it's worth doing, and any help you can get will be valuable. Hang in there.

Mark1014 10-06-2014 12:32 PM

Hi and welcome to the site. You'll find lots of support here!

countrygirl2014 10-06-2014 12:34 PM

Welcome! Great site here, everyone is very helpful and supportive.

Soberwolf 10-06-2014 12:42 PM

Hello ! welcome to sober recovery

Nowsthetime 10-06-2014 12:50 PM

Hi and welcome. The pool of blood thing must been horrible! I'm glad you found this site, it has really helped me to be able to read and vent. Hope to see you around.

Fly N Buy 10-06-2014 12:52 PM

That first step of realization Dave can change your life!!!
Glad you are here.....many wise old owls....(not me)

peace

PurpleKnight 10-06-2014 02:54 PM

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!! :wave:

Dee74 10-06-2014 03:01 PM

Welcome to SR ddnnhh :)

Sounds like you have every reason in the world to quit - you'll find a ton of support and encouragement here :)

D

luvmygirls 10-06-2014 03:20 PM

Welcome, Dave! You're among friends who understand what you're going through. Thanks for posting. :)

Hevyn 10-06-2014 03:56 PM

It's good to meet you Dave. I hope you'll stay with us - this is a wonderful place for friendship and understanding. You can do it!