Notices

First Post to Introduce Myself :-)

Old 10-06-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question First Post to Introduce Myself :-)

I decided to register on this website because I have a lot of questions about life as an addict in recovery AND relationships with other addicts in recovery. I have been clean ( and sober ) since June 17, 2013. Until recently, I have kept my head down, stayed in close contact with my sponsor, made a lot of meetings but really haven't gotten overly involved with the socialization aspect.

Since I'm new, I don't know whether questions related to relationships are welcome ... not only relationships with the opposite gender but how to nurture friendships. I wonder what's normal, if I offend anyone by being too forward or by not being friendly enough, and how not to drop off into isolation again.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello welcome to SR
Old 10-06-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First of all, congrats on the clean time!

Originally Posted by SerafinaDllRose View Post
Since I'm new, I don't know whether questions related to relationships are welcome ...
Welcome to Sober Recovery. If it relates to your recovery, you have every right to ask it.

And relationships are a key aspect, and forging new, healthy ones a challenge to the person in recovery.

Do you have a specific question?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi SerafinaDllRose,

Welcome to SR
Old 10-06-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum SerafinaDllRose!!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Serafina; congratulations on almost 28 months of sobriety.!!
Old 10-06-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SerafinaDllRose

Please do ask away

D
Old 10-06-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Serafina, welcome and thanks for posting! You'll find lots of support and understanding here.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Serafina. You're among friends who care.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Serafina,

Welcome and congratulations on your recovery.

I think your point about how to nurture friendships is a good one. It wasn't until I was in recovery that I began to set boundaries with friendships and to figure out what I wanted to give and to gain from a friendship.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Red face Wow - Amazing Responses!

Surprised to check in a few hours later and actually find greetings and welcomes :-)

A couple of questions for now --- Right now I have a sponsee who is incommunicado - she used to call every day and now nothing. I want to drive out to her house to make sure she's alright. I'm worried about her and my sponsor said it was ok, if I had concerns, to give her a call. I've called her a couple of times and she seems happy to hear from me ... but she hasn't initiated any phone calls to me and she hasn't been at any meetings for the last week or so. Is there anything else I can do to help her with whatever is going on?

The other question has to do with protocol as far as becoming friends or dating. Again, my sponsor and I have discussed a particular situation but I wonder how everyone else handles it. Is it generally accepted that folks with a year or more shouldn't hang out with folks new to the program? I have a guy friend with a little under 6 months --- we have been touching base one way or the other every day for the last month, I guess. Am I fooling myself in thinking it's an innocent friendship? He's aware that he needs to work on himself rather than date and I have an understanding that members with less than a year are particularly vulnerable.

Thanks for any feedback ...
Old 10-06-2014, 10:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi SerafinaDllRose, welcome! I live in a town too small to be anonymous in AA so I have never had a sponser or a guy friend in AA, so I can only tell you what I would do generally.
If I am worried about someone, I call them up and tell them. I let them know that any time they would like to talk, I am here for them. Then I let it go.
If I had a friend who I liked but we both seemed to be on the same page re: the rules regarding dating, I would wait. He seems to know he needs to work on himself first, and they year rule is there for a reason. Flirting is fun. Wondering is fun. Six more months isn't all that long, and if you have a solid friendship it will be there later, and if you like each other more, that will be there later too. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, SerafinaDllRose! It's good to have you here with us.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Serafina! I agree with islandgrrl. I think, with your sponsee, all you can do is let her know you are there for her. The rest really is up to her. As for dating someone with less than 6 months-maybe just wait? Not an area I have any experience with as I have been married for almost 25 yrs.