Notices

Drunk or simply a Lush???

Old 10-06-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes I agree there are cultural/regional differences in the use of the word lush. I also agree it would be odd to hear it from a 20something. Maybe people do thing it sounds less harsh. I think there is something to using euphemistic language especially here in the south. It's also common to hear cutting remarks followed by "bless his/her heart",
"She's a terrible drunk, bless her heart" or...
"He's just not very smart, bless his heart" or...
"She got beat with an ugly stick, bless her heart"...

I'm interested, flynbuy, in how you think the use of derogatory terms is valuable in recovery. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Potato-Patoto fermented they both make booze
Old 10-06-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'll never forget Morgan Freeman's definitions of lush and alcoholic that he talked about in an NPR interview a few years ago. He said that a "lush" is somebody who likes to drink a lot. He said an alcoholic is somebody "who needs to drink."

I actually used these exact definitions to claim that I was just a lush and did not need to drink. This really helped me to justify drinking every day for several more years. We all know how that story ended. Definitely an alcoholic here rather than a lush. I used to be a lush before I crossed that invisible line.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post

I'm interested, flynbuy, in how you think the use of derogatory terms is valuable in recovery. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Not too long ago, I was called a drunk by someone I love dearly. This caused a lot of hurt in me initially, but upon reflection it pushed me more quickly down the path I am on - sobriety. They were correct, even though it was an ugly thing to say........simply thought I was a lush!

Today is day 120 alcohol free, by grace.
peace
Old 10-07-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes I can see that reality, not sugar coated, can work in pushing someone toward their goal.

I was also called a drunk. I was also called a wh*re. What I did was simply accept those characterizations and behaved accordingly. I would say, yep that's me...watch me do what I do best.

I guess it can work both ways. For me, no terms (derogatory or otherwise) brought me to quit. But I do agree with you that straight talk is effective for a lot of us. I prefer things straight up, but things can be said without calling names too.

I'm glad for whatever brought you to where you are now. Congrats on a new life as a nondrinker. I ended my addiction to alcohol and benzos almost 8 years ago. No matter what life hands me, it's never worse than living in addiction. Best to you. xo
Old 10-07-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

lush is much better then drunk..it's almost a term of endearment. That Jake is such a lush.

that jake is such a drunk. i wouldn't care if somebody called me a lush...a drunk..well they would have some trouble then