Notices

Here again

Old 10-05-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dim

Here again

I need help. I'm on the back end of a 3 day bender and I'm feeling like absolute hell. I stopped drinking almost 24 hours ago and have got horrendous anxiety not to mention, body aches all over,dizziness and extreme fatigue. This isn't the first time I've been here but I sure as hell hope it's the past. I can only imagine the damage I've done to my body over the past few years of binge drinking and just want one more chance to clean my act up and live a healthy alcohol free life. My secrets out, my family are heartbroken and my girlfriend is supportive but running thin on patience with me. Work doesn't know but the amount of time I've taken off means it's only a matter of time before this starts having a real impact. Looking for words of wisdom please, any advice on how to overcome these withdrawals and how long they'll last. I drank close to 3 small bottles of whisky over 3 days and spent a good amount of time with my head in the toilet bowl. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dim
Old 10-05-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dim

The best advice I can give you is see a Dr and get yourself checked out...make sure there's no withdrawal issues.

They may give you something or not - I'm not a Dr - but the peace of mind will help a little with the anxiety

D
Old 10-05-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dim, I have been in your position many times. In fact, too many because I kept drinking until the girl left me and I lost the job.

It seems you have mild withdrawal symptoms. The anxiety was always the worst for me. I am sure you feel like the walls are caving in on you. Everyone is different, but I think most people here will agree that you will fell like sh*t for the next 3 or 4 days.

Drink plenty of water and try to eat something. Many times after a bender, I was nauseated and had no appetite so I didn't eat, but I found that getting healthy food in me helps the process quite a bit. Fruit and whole grains, that type of stuff.

Be happy that you still have a job and a relationship to save. If you address your drinking now, then you can avert disaster. You'll be good as new by the end of the week IF you stay sober.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Actually you're pretty lucky.

You still have a job, your girlfriend is still with you, and your family, although heartbroken, no doubt still love you.

Sounds like you have plenty of people in your corner. Lots more than some can say that are trying to quit drinking. You have every right to feel horrible, you have earned it by way of a 3 day binge on whiskey. No easy way out of withdrawals. Quit drinking, keep hydrated, a doctors visit certainly is a good idea. Be honest with him, and get a thorough checkup. Always a good idea. Sleep will be tough, eating will be difficult, but it WILL pass. Lean on those that love you, and post here often. You don't have to go through the hell you have been putting yourself through. You really don't. It all starts with not taking that next drink.

Last edited by NorMar; 10-05-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-05-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dim

Thank you so much for the replies. I have a lot of people I need to restore faith in but I've never been more committed than I am right now that I need to do this. God bless you all.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please recognize that you are not at the REAL crossroads yet. You feel terrible, guilty and no doubt are beating yourself up from the inside psychologically as well as physiologically from all the drinking. It really is easy to want to quit when you feel this bad. The real trial begins when you start to feel better and want to drink again. I am sure that you have been to that exact spot before but have given in. In order to make it you have to COMMIT to a plan and stick with it. Use whatever support group you have and think about finding some meetings.

You've got to have a plan. Keep your eye on the prize and a life without drugs or alcohol is truly a prize - but a very, very fragile one.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dim

Thank you for the post liv1ce. You are absolutely right. I know I can't be a casual drinker and even though the next time at the bar may not turn out like this, it's a ticking time bomb before it happens again and I don't want to stick around and wait for it to happen so I'm committing myself for once and for all. I will find a meeting this week and attend it.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. This can be the last time you have to go thru this. Withdrawals usually last several days. See your doctor for help in getting thru the w/d safely.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dim

Thank you least.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The withdrawal phase will pass. I am glad to hear that you are going to find a meeting and it sounds like your gf is willing to support you. For me, coming clean-openly admitting that I was an alcoholiic, was one of the best things I have ever done. It created accountability on my side and generated support from others. Use that support from your gf. You can do this.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!

Checking in with a Dr is the best way forward to do things safely, and then make some real changes to your routines to turn a corner!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dim

Day 2. Rough night but got through it. Vivid and twisted dreams but I think the worst is behind me. In total probably slept about 2 hours broken up. I know that I shouldn't be asking for medical advice on this forum but are the stomach and back pains normal for what I've just put my body through? Anyone that's had a similar experience with these pains? Do they go away? Thanks in advance x
Old 10-06-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes and yes. Think about what your body is going through right now, absent alcohol. You may Shake and be constipated and overall depressed. Stay in bed, hydrate, have some soup. Call in sick if you can and dedicate some time to this. I know, all simple recommendations, but take small bites!

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery
Old 10-06-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Dim View Post
Day 2. Rough night but got through it. Vivid and twisted dreams but I think the worst is behind me. In total probably slept about 2 hours broken up. I know that I shouldn't be asking for medical advice on this forum but are the stomach and back pains normal for what I've just put my body through? Anyone that's had a similar experience with these pains? Do they go away? Thanks in advance x
Congrats on day 2!

There is no "normal" when it comes to withdrawal. Most of us pay a price of some kind in regards to the damage we did to our bodies when drinking, there is really no way of predicting what might happen or when it might get better without seeing a doctor. I had gastro issues, sleep issues, anxiety problems, and more but they all got significantly better as I built up sober time.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

when I found myself in the place you are, getting my a** to AA was probably the thing that saved it the most and gave me a foundation to build sobriety on.

Whatever path works for you, I sure hope you find it. If you've resisted AA, I hope this time around you'll give it an honest try.

Worst that can happen is you spend a few months going to meetings, learning, meeting people who understand, hearing stories, gaining insight, growing a little.....

You have nothing to lose and your life to gain.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow. You are a warrior Dim! I can't give any advice these folks haven't already, but I can cheer you on. DO IT! DAY 2!
Old 10-06-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dim

You will all never know just how much this means to me. God bless you x
Old 10-06-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Dim. I had aches & pains all over when I withdrew, plus many other symptoms. Thankfully it all settled down, and I began to come out of the fog. Each day I felt a little better. It was such a beautiful relief to get free.