Notices

Cannot believe how TIRED I am!!

Old 10-05-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
time to shine again

Cannot believe how TIRED I am!!

Hi Everyone,

I finally made it to the magical day 7.

Woke up this morning around 8, and went back to sleep within an hour - just woke up again around 1:30 p.m. and just want to go back to sleep. My head feels like it's in a vice. . . and my heart hurts - feels like some deep emotions are coming up, and I don't particularly want to dead with them at the moment.

Have sequestered myself in our apartment for days, as we live in the downtown core of a large city, and are surrounded by pubs, bars, restaurants -- not sure I'm strong enough to stay away. It's always this heart-hurt that triggers me.

May I please have permission to hide under the covers today?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sometimes hiding under the covers is exactly the right strategy.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hide away! The first few weeks, and even months, were all about identifying triggers and pushing through them. I was pretty reclusive for quite a while, and I'm glad I took that route. It helped me to focus on improving my thinking and habits, while also just getting through it by racking up sober time. Good work on the first week!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oooh enjoy! Imagine how rested you are going to feel tomorrow. I am about to nap again myself. I am bouncing between cleaning a little and napping. I am so tired. Your body is adjusting and needs rest.

Please try and not let the heart ache get too you. One of the things i go through is sadness but it is a chemical thing right now, but I put my own ideas on top of it of course. Wrong ideas.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's gonna take time to wipe away years of drinking, the body needs to do its thing, so don't be hard on yourself by sleeping and being good to yourself!!

Hang in there!!
Old 10-05-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I slept a lot during my first few months of sobriety. Then it would hit me again after a few months here and there. Part of it's PAWS, the other part is learning to deal with the draining effects emotions can have on you. Feeling for the first time after periods of numbing with alcohol (sometimes years) can be very overwhelming. Treat yourself with kindness and care, like a person recovering from a very serious illness. Congrats on a week. Every day is a triumph, especially in early sobriety.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done golden 7 days is massive keep it going your doing great
Old 10-05-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job. Hide and rest your body.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, I am right there with you. If I had the opportunity I'd love to sleep 9 hours, take a nap during the day, and still go to bed at 9. Take the time to rest whenever you can get it! I have two rambunctious boys that don't let me rest much...today I napped when my older son was at soccer and the other one (who is sick with a slight fever) was playing on the computer. It was heaven.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Take the time to rest! Oh do I know the tiredness well. That was my thing. I could sleep easily for 16 hours the first few days, and I still get 9-10 hours a night. In reading here, it seems we have different reactions, but the common consensus is to give your body what it needs (sans alcohol). Nap away!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on day 10 and feeling exhausted in every way. I'm realizing how much I used alcohol to drown my feelings, and now that I'm feeling again, it sucks. I'm going to rest myself. Take it easy.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will feel better and get your energy back, I promise
Til then be gentle with yourself

D
Old 10-05-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was exhausted for a while. We've beaten ourselves up quite badly - we need time to heal. You'll get there golden. 7 days - yay!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Golden, I hear you. I am 7 days in and tired. Of course I spent the day with my wife and two kids at Disney. Today was forecast to be beautiful, which it was, and I was celebrating not being hung over so we went. Let me tell you, Magic Kingdom and crowds not a good idea in early sobriety. Instead of drinking a glass of wine the size of my head, I am going to bed. Congrats to you on 7 days as well.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

don't put your head under in case you dutch oven
Old 10-06-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
time to shine again

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
don't put your head under in case you dutch oven
lol.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Just another Pickle Man

Keep pushing through and you'll be feeling better in no time

My keys when I first got my 10 months of sobriety was vitamins and energy drinks, just for days that I had to work.

But a daily vitamin, fresh fruit, and supplements like 5-HTP really went a long way for me!
Old 10-06-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No matter what, if your body is telling you to sleep, then sleep! No need to feel guilty.

All our bodily renewal and healing happens while we sleep. There's even been days where I just never got dressed, and gave myself a pyjamas and mental health day. Spoke to no one, watched mindless tv, or slept.

We've drank away so much time, how could sleeping to ease the recovery process possibly be a bad thing?!