Notices

Panic attacks - physical or mental

Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks - physical or mental

The final straw for me was a massive panic attack last week. It was so horrible that I finally said enough is enough. I quit drinking.

I felt very dizzy, I was struggling to breathe, I was on the verge of passing out, I was very hot and sweaty, felt impending doom, very spaced out, sure I was dying etc etc. This came on about midday and lasted for about 4 hours intensely, then slowly improved over the next few days.

I am sure many of you have experienced this awful thing.

I know this is the result of years of alcohol abuse, my question is: What is actually causing these things? Is it a physical thing happening in the body? Or is it the mind struggling to cope?

After 8 days sober I have no withdrawal side effects, only the constant thoughts and urges to have a drink - which I have been successful at resisting.

Appreciate your comments.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Changel... Nasty aren't thy!!1 I suffered them terribly during my drinking & still get the odd one now.. I've copied this from the NHS site which may give you a better understanding of them.

A panic attack is a rush of intense psychological and physical symptoms. These symptoms of panic can be frightening and happen suddenly, often for no clear reason.

Panic attacks usually last between five and 20 minutes, and although it may feel as though you are in serious trouble, they aren't dangerous and shouldn't cause any physical harm. It is unlikely you will be admitted to hospital if you have a panic attack.

You may feel an overwhelming sense of fear and a sense of unreality, as if you’re detached from the world around you.

As well as psychological symptoms, you may also experience physical symptoms of panic, such as:

a sensation that your heart is beating irregularly (palpitations)
sweating
trembling
shortness of breath
a choking sensation
chest pain
feeling sick

The physical symptoms of a panic attack are caused by your body going into "fight or flight" mode in response to something you think is a threat. As your body tries to take in more oxygen your breathing quickens. Your body also releases hormones, such as adrenaline, causing your heart to beat faster and your muscles to tense up.
Trying to slow your breathing may help in panic attacks

If you’re breathing quickly during a panic attack, slowing this down can ease your other symptoms. Here are some things you can try:

Breathe in deeply through your nose.
Breathe out slowly through your mouth.
Focus your thinking on the word "calm".

Keep calm and concentrate on your breathing. You should start to feel better as the level of carbon dioxide in your blood returns to normal, although you may feel tired afterwards.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I dealt with the panic attacks to when I was drinking, I'm at day 70 and don't get them anyone which is amazing. Your urges will get easier to handle, I went to a wedding yesterday and didn't drink an was even ok with it. it's a great feeling keep it up you won't regret it
Old 10-05-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=jezza;4937107]Hi Changel... Nasty aren't thy!!1 I suffered them terribly during my drinking & still get the odd one now.. I've copied this from the NHS site which may give you a better understanding of them.

Hey Jezza.

Nasty alright, but now that I think about it, maybe it was a blessing. It led me stopping.

I actually began a diary (as soon as the worst of it was over and I could concentrate) and the first day entry was all about how I felt and what was going through my head at the time of the panic attack. I find this useful because whenever I have a serious urge I read it and it totally kills the urge. I never want to go through that again.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Change.. good idea... here is some info somebody sent me a little while a go & I have posted it before & find it very useful.. Good on yer for stopping..

A.W.A.R.E.

When I work with someone who has panic attacks we discuss in detail when they happen, and where, and what may be triggering them etc. Also how they actually experience them.
Panic starts with a fear response, and the adrenalin and 'fight or flight' mechanism kicks in, leaving people feeling varing degrees of panic and fear. What can then happen is that people start to fear the panic attack itself, as well as whatever it is (often unknown) that triggers it, so the situation gets worse.
Either they avoid similar situations, out of fear of a panic attack happening, or as soon as one starts they respond with despair and even more fear/panic, making everything feel worse.
What helped me (and it seems to work for others, too) is to accept the panic. Like we accept backache, or a sneezing fit, or a dose of flu. Instead of "Oh my God!! I'm having a panic attack! Its awful, I can't cope" I learned to recognise the earliest signs of it, and say to mayself "Oh ****. I'm having a panic attack. How annoying is that" and then talk to myself in more positive ways.
"OK its a panic attack. It won't kill me. Its a horrible feeling, but it will pass. I will get over this"
Then I would put a lot of effort into just monitoring it, watching my symptoms in a kind of clinical way (Heart beating too fast, hard to breathe properly, sweating, shaking etc etc) as though I was someone else watching me in as detached a way as possible (not easy I have to say, but it was easier everytime I did it)
I refused to let it stop me doing things. If I got a panic attack in a shop, I refused to leave the shop, but would find a corner I could just stop and wait for it to ease up. If I panicked while driving (fear of getting lost would be a big trigger for me) then I'd stop, put some soothing music on the tape deck, and give myself the positive talk, and breathe steadily till it was possible to continue. I didn't head for home, or stop driving to places, however tempting it was.

The whole process was described to me as the 'AWARE' technique.
A - Accept what's happening (don't have to like it, just accept it. Don't fight it!)
W - Watch what's happening to you as clinically and calmly as possible
A - Act as normal as possible (Don't allow the panic attack to make you change your plans)
R - Repeat these steps as often as you need to, (meanwhile breathing slowly. PLB helps)
E - Expect things to get better. They will!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
waking down

Not to cause any anxiety, but I'm convinced alcohol didn't cause my anxiety as much as it served as medication against it. When I quit drinking last year I found that anxiety has been one of my central challenges. Daily focused breathing meditation (I try to get in 15 minutes twice daily) has kept me balanced enough to avoid medications other than occasional use of valerian root, which really helps me when anxiety keeps me awake.

I've read that depression tends to focus on the past, anxiety on the future, and peace on the present. Focused breathing is about focusing on the present. Mindfulness throughout the day is preventative in that I'm learning to predict bouts of anxiety and take action to keep from becoming overwhelmed. Hope this makes sense and will help some...
Old 10-05-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Changel,

See if this link i sent helps while practicing No#4 of the aware technique from Jezza's post

50 Essential Tips To Help You Stay Clean And Sober
Old 10-05-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was in active alcoholism my panic attacks were completely physical. My central nervous system was completely not functioning. My blood pressure was also extremely high.

If somebody came up behind me and clapped their hands I would practically jump in the air from fright.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Changel,

I am sorry you are suffering from this. I have had many panic attacks in my life (including the kinds that made me run to the doctor or ER), not all alcohol-related and I know I'm prone to anxiety. For whoever has anxiety by default, the worst thing is to drink heavily... But I did that, too. 4 hours in acute panic - my gosh, that does not sound fun!

Originally Posted by Changel View Post
I know this is the result of years of alcohol abuse, my question is: What is actually causing these things? Is it a physical thing happening in the body? Or is it the mind struggling to cope?
There has been a lot of ongoing research on anxiety and panic disorders for quite a long time. You can find tons of info, try to google combinations of anxiety, panic, neuroscience (or neurobiology), alcohol. Briefly, while it's far from being completely understood by science, it is clear that the symptoms appear and are caused by (bio)chemical processes in our brains and other parts of the body. It's also well-known that some people are more vulnerable to anxiety than others by default; it's related to our biological makeup. It has physiological, organic causes just like many other disorders. What we tend to describe as "mental symptoms" are the manifestation of these processes, our subjective experience of them.

Anxiety is one of the most common symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and often lingers for a while in early sobriety. I definitely had it pretty bad myself. There are many ways to cope with it and manage it - again, you can learn a lot from info available online, or I would suggest a visit to a doctor or psychologist who specializes in anxiety (and maybe substance abuse). The good news is that usually it gets immeasurably better with continued sobriety and especially if you find effective ways to manage it.

Good luck!
Old 10-05-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the comments everyone.

They have completely gone now. While I still have anxiety about the future (resulting from my mistakes in the past), it is only thoughts and "what ifs", which I can deal with as I get my life back together. So the attacks are not a withdrawal symptom for me as they only happened when I was a heavy drinker - unless not consuming alcohol for 6 hours in between drinks can be considered a withdrawal. They only came on a few hours after my last drink, never when drunk or while drinking.

Both public transport and falling asleep were the triggers for me.

MelindaFlowers - I suffer from high BP too. When I was drinking, I wouldn't eat anything all day and consume buckets of coffee. I was wondering if fluctuating blood sugar combined with caffeine was a factor. I dunno, but I am glad they have gone.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Changel, I have been sober for a while but I am also having anxiety about how my alcoholism destroyed my life and the implications for my future. In the past, I would crack a beer and the anxiety would drift away, but the problems still there of course. I am facing the anxiety head on these days, and it's tough without the booze, but my anxiety was much, much worse when I was drinking. I had panic attacks during withdrawal as well as in the middle of the night after drinking.

Once I got completely sober for a while. No signs of panic.