SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Big Triggers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/346955-big-triggers.html)

zackman 10-04-2014 05:30 PM

Big Triggers

I'm working on my 11th day sober. That makes for my longest sober streak in a good while. I've been doing very good with staying busy and keeping a positive outlook in maintaining my sobriety. I actually forgot how good feeling well felt. Now, I don't think I have all that many triggers but the biggest one for me, which I've written about before is the end of a work week and approaching a 3 day weekend. I'm wondering what might trigger other people and what they do to stay sober throughout their cravings.

Stayingsober72 10-04-2014 05:38 PM

Hi Zack,

Stress is a huge trigger for me. Every time I feel myself getting frustrated or angry, I want a drink to calm my nerves. Right now I'm breathing in order to counteract that. And posting and reading here. Have a good weekend and congratulations on day 11!

bunnezjp 10-04-2014 05:45 PM

Work out until I drop dead. Talk it out. Blog, here on SR or a journal. Music and a walk. Clean.

Bunnez

Dee74 10-04-2014 06:14 PM

What about building some new sober weekend traditions Zackman? :)

D

Hawks 10-04-2014 06:31 PM

Play the tape all the way through.

After long weekends away on fishing trips with mates, drinking 18 beers and half a bottle of scotch (plus Lsd and Pot) for 3 days, I was a basket case for a week or more afterwards.

Couldn't think, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't work well in my job.

After a long weekend now, I can do all those things and more.

Freedom from alcohol, it's a great thing :)

Soberwolf 10-04-2014 06:34 PM

50 Essential Tips To Help You Stay Clean And Sober

I love sober fridays/weekend

you know how you said you forgot how good it was to feel well ?

well like D said start making sober plans for the weekend you dont have to shun weekends you got to replace the crave by doing something enjoyable like bunnez said

in time with work it will get a lot better but for now read the link see what u think

Resolv 10-04-2014 06:40 PM

Hey Zackman. My triggers:
1. Coming home from a business trip. Especially if I've been driving for hours.
2. After doing domestic chores all day on a weekend. That evening is tough for me.

Trick to staying sober, acknowledging the consequences of drinking. Thinking things through.

No first drink. No regrets. Life is good. Enough said.

zackman 10-04-2014 07:01 PM

Wow! Every tip & piece of advice I've heard from everyone on SR is something new to me or a great reminder of something I've forgotten. I really appreciate everyone's replies tonight. Everyone is so generous and helpful it's making all the difference in the world to me. I am grateful!