Notices

Day 3 - Feeling Depressed and learning a new way to Live.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 - Feeling Depressed and learning a new way to Live.

Good Morning Everyone,

I am on Day 3 of sobriety. Really woke up feeling depressed and irritated this morning. Depressed because I know I have a problem that I have been dealing with for so long and irritated because I cannot deal with it effectively.

I sometimes feel like 'Living and Life is so hard' but I am the father of a beautiful 16 month old daughter and really don't have a choice.

Please help me to see that living & life are beautiful. I will have to retrain my brain to see this because I drink to escape life and checkout. This is not effective because life is easier to deal with sober and becomes 100 times more complicated each time we drink.

Learning to enjoy Life again.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just take a look at your 16 month old child and watch her smile when she sees you. Isn't that in itself enough of a reason to get up in the morning with a smile on your face? I hope you can find some joy in your life.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im on day 1 again. I usderstand your frustration. I have been fighting this for years;
Old 10-04-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are sober you are "dealing with it effectively." In the beginning I think that just living sober each minute has to be enough. Slowly you will see the beautiful start creeping back in.

You're so lucky your beautiful daughter is only 16 months. Do you realize what a gift you are giving her? A sober dad!! What others wouldn't give for that!! She will have no memories of you blackout drunk, sloppy drunk, tucking her in bed at night with liquor soaked breath, sitting in front of a tv all day while you nurse a hangover, having to go the the grocery store/drug store/convenience store for the umpteenth time for some bogus reason when really all you're doing is getting more booze. She won't be embarrassed by you (other than in normal ways kids are embarrassed by parents), concerned for/about you, scared for you or have to take care of you. Kids grow up too fast today as it is. Why handicap them anymore than they already are by going thru their formative years drunk?

Instead she gets a dad who is present, who truly listens, who can guide her thru life's ups & downs and model for her healthy responses & healthy living. She'll also have a dad to teach her how beautiful life and living are. All this just by getting & remaining sober.

Sobriety is beautiful in & of itself if we allow it to be. Consequently so are life & living.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank You Anna. You are absolutely right. I have more to look forward to than not!

Thank you for your wisdom and am really hoping that people with a long time of sobriety can teach me about life and joys of it!
Old 10-04-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been sober about 4 years, struggled with alcohol for about 30 before that. There is a lot of joy in the simple things of being sober. Waking up without a hangover, not having to hide the amount you are drinking from loved ones, enjoying an evening out without having to be careful how much you drink so you don't get drunk and act a total fool.

But a sober life is not a Disney movie with butterflies and bluebirds. There will still be be problems and issues not related to alcohol. But even in the trying times, facing the hurdles that life throws at you with a sober, clear head is a great thing. Not running back into the bottle everytime something bad happens is a great thing. Being able to think clearly, and make sound, sober decisions, weigh options, think about consequences of your actions with a brain unfettered by the curtain of alcohol addiction is a great thing.

Being sober can indeed make the good times really good. But it can also be a huge benefit when life throws you one of those curves. Hopefully the curves will be few and far between. Be strong, post here often.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ms980619

It's perfectly normal to feel a little low on day 3. I think sometimes we underestimate the damage that years of drinking can do.

You will feel better...and you will feel excitement and joy and happiness again.

Sounds like you already have some great reasons to be grateful

D
Old 10-04-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

staying sober day after day is like constantly upgrading

it gets so much better here hope this helps

50 Essential Tips To Help You Stay Clean And Sober
Old 10-04-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi ms. Yes, you will feel hope and optimism again. You're in the early days of reclaiming your life. We promise it gets better and easier. You've done a great thing, don't be discouraged.