Notices

Getting my old mind back

Old 10-03-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting my old mind back

Over the last few days I've felt like a great fog has cleared. For a long time I was struggling to concentrate reading and music wasn't sounding as good to me without booze.

That's done a complete 180, I read The Old Man And The Sea this afternoon and listened to The Rolling Stones Some Girls (my favorite band) and danced with the sort of gusto which if filmed and placed online, would haunt me forever.

I enjoyed myself that much.

I can articulate my thoughts on these things much better and although it's scary and the depression and anxiety are very real, it feels like real life again.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic Thomas!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 10-03-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

danced with the sort of gusto which if filmed and placed online, would haunt me forever.

Love this! That's awesome, Thomas!
Old 10-03-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
danced with the sort of gusto which if filmed and placed online, would haunt me forever.

I enjoyed myself that much.
Haha! That's awesome

The Old Man and the Sea... one of my all time faves.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here's a quote from Old Man & The Sea:
“Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead.”

Just change Fish to Sobriety.

And Hemingway is a good model of how not to live.
Heavy drinking until the end of his life, constantly unhappy, changing partners, moving, leaving a trail of broken relationships in his wake, and a gift for finding the words to blame everything and everyone else for the problems his choices created.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

keep staying stopped, your mind will get more clear than it is now....
Old 10-03-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post

And Hemingway is a good model of how not to live.
Heavy drinking until the end of his life, constantly unhappy, changing partners, moving, leaving a trail of broken relationships in his wake, and a gift for finding the words to blame everything and everyone else for the problems his choices created.
The Old Man And The Sea is the first book I've read of his actually. I enjoyed it so much I immediately went out and bought A Farewell To Arms and For Whom The Bells Toll. I don't know much about him as a guy, except that he was a drunk who served in the army. But still, there's plenty of artists whose work I enjoy but as a person couldn't stand.

Funny how Jack Kerouac actually died from drink but doesn't have that same reputation (it least among people I've spoken to him about).
Old 10-03-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

So good about you liking music again dancing with gusto

loved that

i love music

i love the xx they have a song called intro

its so good
Old 10-03-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're feeling good.

A Farewell to Arms and For Whom the Bell Tolls are my favourite Hemingway books. He was a tortured soul, but a brilliant writer. If you go to Key West, you will find several bars which use Hemingway as their claim to fame.

The only time in my life when I let reading slip way was during the three years I was drinking. As soon as I began to recover, I jumped back into the book world.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
But still, there's plenty of artists whose work I enjoy but as a person couldn't stand.
Me too! I read about some of those authors i enjoy, and i don't think i would have gotten along with them. And they would have hated me just like they hated almost everyone else. I'm amazed how some authors can so clearly describe the dysfunction in others yet live lives that are just as crazy and unethical as those they condemn in their books.
But anyway, The Old Man and the Sea is the perfect book to read when we're trying to stay sober day in and day out. It's a book about determination and not giving up and not listening to others who try to veer you off your chosen path. It's about staying on the course you decide is best regardless of the difficulties that come up.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

The only time in my life when I let reading slip way was during the three years I was drinking. As soon as I began to recover, I jumped back into the book world.
Exactly the same. I don't know about you, but when I was drinking I always thought "Oh I'll get some drinks and then really enjoy this book", then got so drunk I never got round to reading the thing. For years.