Notices

Can you relate to these hangover symptoms?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Polar, I know all those symptoms and they sound like mild to moderate alcohol withdrawal symptoms. You may be in for a bit of a rough ride for a few days. The anxiety and insomnia were the worst for me always. Try to remember that your emotions will be magnified so the things you feel panicky about may be exaggerated.

This site always helped me stay same during detox.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks, SC. Why does it take some of us so long to learn from those memories? I've been in a bad way more than once. One time the stomach pains were so bad I checked into the ER. They didn't really do much but ask me a bunch of questions and give me a shot. Got a bill for almost $500 after medical insurance. I should have learned from that.

There's so much more going on now, I hope I can kick it for good this time. Oh well enough feeling sorry for myself. It's not helping anything.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

True, WL. Last time I quit the anxiety lessened after about 3 days. I was actually thinking of ways out of the mess I'm in instead of worrying about it. Right now all I want is a couple beers to wash it away.

But the cycle must stop somewhere. It got me in trouble the other night when I drunk ranted on FB. Yet another reason to quit. I should make a list.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes, I can relate to all of those symptoms. The hangovers went from just feeling like dirt to something much more ominous and dark. I truly felt like I might die at any moment either from a panic attack, heart attack, or some organ failing.

The feelings of doom also had a whole new personality. The whole world seem like a darker place without any hope for the future. I started feeling like the whole world was just a terrible place and I would think about things like global warming and or animals going extinct. That might sound a little bizarre but it's true. I was a sad sad person and the world looked like a sad sad place.

The day after drinking, which was every day, my brain felt like it was a shriveled up raisin. The headaches were no longer just headaches either. It was a mix of pain like my head had been run over by a Ford F350 mixed with the dizziness and scared, paranoid, irrational feelings. I also felt like the words were not coming out of my mouth correctly. I had trouble annunciating at times. I was too weak to leave my bed or the couch but too anxious to sit still at the same time

Never again!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
misanthrope

I think the panic is the worst of those things at times.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PolarBlue View Post
My binge stopped around 10pm last night. Today it feels like my brain is frying. Tingling sensations in my hands. Short of breath. Stomach pains. No appetite. Stress. Depression and a bit of panic. Feeling of doom.
Yep, all of the above - the feelings of impending doom and crippling anxiety/panic are my personal favourites (not at all). They get worse too, or they have done for me.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

The feeling of doom was common for me. So much so that I'd pull up the covers, call in sick, and sleep for 20 hours a day. All I'd do is drink water, and wish the toxins to leave my body. I would essentially shut down to everyone and everything. Then I would do it again.
The insanity.
Hang in there and try to get through today. I'm only a few short (but long) weeks in, but it is Saturday morning, I am up early, I feel great and I'm looking forward to a day with my children. This is a 180 for me on a Saturday morning. It's really mind-blowing. We want to see you succeed. Please don't drink today. :-)
Old 10-04-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Amazing how so many people have the same types of thoughts. I can relate to everything that's been said. It's almost like being possessed. The panic can be triggered by the simplest things. With me it's certain situations in life that I brought on myself due to alcohol; it's so hard not to dwell on them.

I wonder why it takes so long for the hangovers/withdrawal to develop into something so dark? Enough brain cells being killed? Your body's last effort to make you change before it's too late? I'm sure there's some science behind it.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I wonder why it takes so long for the hangovers/withdrawal to develop into something so dark? Enough brain cells being killed? Your body's last effort to make you change before it's too late? I'm sure there's some science behind it.
I don't know, but I can remember the day I first had them. I thought there was some thing seriously wrong with me which made them worse. After a while I just normalized them and told myself they'd soon pass and were what I had to put up with when I was hung over. They got progressively worse until I just couldn't function properly. It's one of the deciding factors in my trying to quit.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by razor15 View Post
The feeling of doom was common for me. So much so that I'd pull up the covers, call in sick, and sleep for 20 hours a day. All I'd do is drink water, and wish the toxins to leave my body. I would essentially shut down to everyone and everything. Then I would do it again.
The insanity.
Hang in there and try to get through today. I'm only a few short (but long) weeks in, but it is Saturday morning, I am up early, I feel great and I'm looking forward to a day with my children. This is a 180 for me on a Saturday morning. It's really mind-blowing. We want to see you succeed. Please don't drink today. :-)
That's been me for the past couple days, except no sleep. Every time I try some morbid or stressful thought pops into my head and I'm jolted awake in a panic.

No, I don't plan on drinking. I'm not sure if I'd survive another binge and withdrawal session. I hope everyone has a great and sober weekend.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't have health insurance now so I'm just riding it out. Last time I quit it too close to 3 days before I felt right again. It's the first time I felt this bad off only beer. Further proof my body can't handle alcohol anymore.
Out of curiousity, how much would it cost if you were to go?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ah a trip down hangover memory lane....I remembered a few more.

During the whammy/whopper/earth-opening-up-and-swallowing me hangovers my teeth would feel like they were clamping together.

Feeling my heart beating/pulse in my neck. Weird, I know. Like pulsating.

Not even being able to concentrate on a movie or TV show. Too anxious.

Trying to type an email or text and really struggling to put words together.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sounds very familiar, James. One of many deciding factors. How many times can you continue to feel that low and hopeless, progressively lower each time, before you can't take it anymore? One of the many deciding factors.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Out of curiousity, how much would it cost if you were to go?
Last time I went to the ER the total bill was close to $1000, and insurance barely covered half. They didn't even do anything useful. I think I'll be ok whenever I can finally fall asleep.

Melinda I hate that racing heart thing. Mine's also beaten too shallow at times where I couldn't feel a pulse. I was like am I finally dead? lol
Old 10-04-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sounds very familiar, James. One of many deciding factors. How many times can you continue to feel that low and hopeless, progressively lower each time, before you can't take it anymore? One of the many deciding factors.
Yeah, it wasn't the only thing by a long way, but I began to dread the thought of it even before it happened so I couldn't even enjoy the drinking. Insanely I just drank more to stop me thinking about it! figure that one out if you can - just one of the many insanities of drinking.

I hope you manage to quit and do have to go through it again. It's not very nice at all...
Old 10-04-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I read just yesterday, that the amount of time the brain feels euphoric effects of the alcohol, will be met with SIX TIMES the amount of time recovering in agony.

So if I understand this properly, a one hour buzz flip side, is 6 or more hours of agony, anxiety, depression, and doom. Shoot, towards the end, the misery always felt much longer (but that might have been due to my chasing the buzz by continuing drinking for many hours after the buzz was long since gone).

It would now take days (3 or more) to recover from a binge evening. And by "recover" I mean, just constantly feeling like I was going to die. Seriously.

No thank you.

As I age, I have realized, my time is far too precious to waste being sick from my own doing, any longer.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by james186 View Post
Yeah, it wasn't the only thing by a long way, but I began to dread the thought of it even before it happened so I couldn't even enjoy the drinking. Insanely I just drank more to stop me thinking about it! figure that one out if you can - just one of the many insanities of drinking.

I hope you manage to quit and do have to go through it again. It's not very nice at all...
I hope you manage to quit and doN'T! have to go through it again. It's not very nice at all...
Old 10-04-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Last time I went to the ER the total bill was close to $1000, and insurance barely covered half. They didn't even do anything useful. I think I'll be ok whenever I can finally fall asleep.
Thanks Polar, but I just meant a regular doctor visit.

That wouldn't cost so much?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Thanks Polar, but I just meant a regular doctor visit.

That wouldn't cost so much?
When I had health insurance it was a $15 copay for a regular doctor visit. I imagine it would be around $100 uninsured. Definitely cheaper than the ER, but general practitioners can't always get you in for a few days. Mine's horrible about that. I usually have to make an appointment a week in advance unless there's a cancellation.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yes. Tuesday night I gave my strength's end into the professionals at the Emergency Room. Couldn't live with the DT's anymore at that point. It's now Saturday evening. Recovering slowly as a snail's pace, but we never have to go through it again. Awoke half the neighborhood lastnight with nightmares of screaming. I plan to stay sober.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU!